Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
""Of deep concern is the liberty of the Church and the freedom of believers to live according to their consciences."
( Archbishop Jose Gomez)
Translation from Christianese: We are worried that we have to play to the same rules as everybody else, and that we can no longer force everyone else to live according to our consciences.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟489,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
""Of deep concern is the liberty of the Church and the freedom of believers to live according to their consciences."
( Archbishop Jose Gomez)
Translation from Christianese: We are worried that we have to play to the same rules as everybody else, and that we can no longer force everyone else to live according to our consciences.

Good Day,

All Roman Catholics know, believe and confess that the teaching of the Church and the Pope are binding on the consciences of all of them.

He alone is the head of the Church as defined by Rome. As such on matters of faith and morals he is infallible and with out error.

In Him,

Bill

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟298,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Good Day,

Not sure excommunication would certainly change the way he is viewed by Roman Catholics that are in good standing... The excommunication would for sure be the ultimate condemnation of Joe, until he confesses and repents.

In Him,

Bill

Frankly they know that they don't dare. American Catholics in the pews (especially liberals, moderates, and Democrats) would recognize that Biden was being punished for having political positions that they also have on abortion, birth control, and gay rights. Surveys of women using birth control and having abortions show that Catholic women do those things at the same rate as Americans collectively. You may think it would be good for a large portion of the RCC laity to just leave for less pure churches, but the bishops also know they have way to much infrastructure to support without them.

(I left 20 years ago because I stopped believing that Jesus was divine or that God existed, though I was already in opposition to the Church's position on birth control, same sex couples, and was softening on their "life" positions.)

Upvote 0

Guinan

Dec 12, 2020
Texas
✟50,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No offense intended, but the hierarchy of the Catholic Church doesn't exactly have the moral standing to judge President Biden, considering how their pedophile priests are being protected from prosecution and have been for a long time. Case in point: Catholic Priests Abused 1,000 Children in Pennsylvania, Report Says and Almost 1,700 priests and clergy accused of sex abuse are unsupervised. There is a plethora of other articles on the subject I could post here as well, but I think I've made my point.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Good Day,

All Roman Catholics know, believe and confess that the teaching of the Church and the Pope are binding on the consciences of all of them.

He alone is the head of the Church as defined by Rome. As such on matters of faith and morals he is infallible and with error.

In Him,

Bill
That's for every single Roman Catholic to bring into accord with their conscience. It's not as if there aren't quite a lot of Catholics who are opposed to the words of the Pope, or even deny that he is the "true" pope, or simply do what they think is best.

If Catholics were indeed so monolithic as your "All Roman Catholics know, believe and confess" suggests, history would have been a lot less... interesting.

But be that as it may... as I said: it is for every single Catholic to decide how to live his faith.
It's just when they presume to dictate national or global politics, and thus try to determine how everybody else, catholic or not should "live according to their consciences", that I would raise my voice in opposition.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟319,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Good Day,

He alone is the head of the Church as defined by Rome. As such on matters of faith and morals he is infallible and with error.

In Him,

Bill
Last I checked, Archbishop Gomez wasn't the Pope. Nor does he have the authority to excommunicate Biden, seeing as he is the Archbishop of Los Angeles, which is not Biden's home diocese.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am waiting for the day, even just one, when my Catholic family members or friends would actually observe Catholicism and the Catechism. At this time not a single one . The Bishop's words are full of emptiness and not shared by many under his guidance. Something is amiss. Maybe clean up his own house before attempting the White House. Be blessed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟489,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Last I checked, Archbishop Gomez wasn't the Pope. Nor does he have the authority to excommunicate Biden, seeing as he is the Archbishop of Los Angeles, which is not Biden's home diocese.

Agreed!

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟489,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's for every single Roman Catholic to bring into accord with their conscience. It's not as if there aren't quite a lot of Catholics who are opposed to the words of the Pope, or even deny that he is the "true" pope, or simply do what they think is best.

If Catholics were indeed so monolithic as your "All Roman Catholics know, believe and confess" suggests, history would have been a lot less... interesting.

But be that as it may... as I said: it is for every single Catholic to decide how to live his faith.
It's just when they presume to dictate national or global politics, and thus try to determine who anybody else, catholic or not should "live according to their consciences", that I would raise my voice in opposition.

Good Day,

I would refer them back to dogmatic statements made by the church they choose to align them self's with. For the most part they are pretty clear, now I agree some may disagree but I would submit the Church would not see that as very compelling at the end of the day.

As I said and now again...

The Pope the head of the Church and as such he holds the authority to bind the conscience of his flock when it comes to the matters of Faith and morals. When doing so he does so with out error.

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,898.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, Pope Francis could excommunicate the President Of the US. This would be a major step for the Church, and is NOT going to happen under this pope.

If folks want to know about repercussions, such an excommunications would lead to a financial crisis for the Church, and to a split in the RCC in the US. There are many life issues.

In 2000, the Roman Catholic Church (certainly in NH) swung the election to Bush by stating that anyone who voted for Gore would committing a grave sin. While there are individual leaders who continue to have this view of the relationship between politics and the Church, I think that the current Church has a somewhat different view.

• Agree
Reactions: BBAS 64
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
The question: Is the Christian President of a secular republic obliged by his faith to seek the criminalization of Christian sins for non-Christian citizens, or is he merely obliged not to commit any sins himself?

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,898.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The question: Is the Christian President of a secular republic obliged by his faith to seek the criminalization of Christian sins for non-Christian citizens, or is he merely obliged not to commit any sins himself?

There is another question. Should a president promote actions based on his religious values? I suspect a Hindu VP might say "yes". A Buddhist or Jewish politician would certainly say yes.

I think President Biden should support laws that are meant to reduce the number of abortions (as Obama did). After all, when there is more support for poor women, more education, and more healthcare, there are indeed fewer abortions.

Should Biden support laws that help the country reduce poverty and serve the poor, disenfranchised, the sick, the imprisoned and those in most need? Of course he should. Is that a violation of the separation of Church and state?
======================
I do indeed think that a Christian president should reflect his Christian values.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Good Day,
Not sure excommunication would certainly change the way he is viewed by Roman Catholics that are in good standing.

That's probably right. To quote an old line, he "plays one on TV" right now. This seems not to have hurt him with most Catholics who are well aware that he discards Church teaching whenever it suits him to do so.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I think President Biden should support laws that are meant to reduce the number of abortions (as Obama did). After all, when there is more support for poor women, more education, and more healthcare, there are indeed fewer abortions.
But those policies merely reduce the number of abortions, they don't **punish** women for having them, or for the immoral sex thought to be the motivation for them.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hypothetical: What if the RCC removes Biden from the Church? What's the repercussion there?
Did the RCC remove the child rapist from the church? Or did they just send them to another church? And keep them them as members. I feel RCC have no right to threaten anyone. And need to worry about their own church.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟242,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh nos! :-/

The opinions of the RCC or any other religious organization have no bearing on how the country should be governed. As has been pointed out, the RCC certainly has no moral standing to dictate anything to anyone. Nobody should care. They have no authority in anything to do with the governing of the country.

• Agree
Reactions: Elliewaves
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,898.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh nos! :-/

The opinions of the RCC or any other religious organization have no bearing on how the country should be governed. As has been pointed out, the RCC certainly has no moral standing to dictate anything to anyone. Nobody should care. They have no authority in anything to do with the governing of the country.

You are free to believe that religious leaders shouldn't express their moral beliefs and what legislation are morally offensive. And, yes, many atheists take this view. But that is not what the founders intended, and that is not the US way in the 21st century. The opinions of the RCC and that other religious organizations are listened to and considered by legislators. That's just the way it is.
=========
A current issue where religious leaders MIGHT be listened to is regarding the abolition of the death penalty for murder and other/state local crimes.

• Agree
Reactions: ABCthings
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.