Visit site
✟1,018,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In my Tradition (Eastern Orthodox), women cover our heads during services (typically a scarf). Some strict communities wear them all the time in public (this isn't typical in America). Do most Jewish women use head coverings today? Do you just wear them during services, or do you wear it throughout the day as well?

Also, what are the reasons behind the head covering? For us, it is a sign of reverence, honor, obedience and modesty. Are the reasons for Jewish women covering their heads similar to our reasons?

giftofGod2

Aug 16, 2016
cyberspace
✟15,845.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
I suggest reading 1 Corinthians 11, a passage which is, sadly, largely ignored by the church today.

The issue is tied in with the gender identity controversy impaho.

In American culture, we consider that long hair is given as a covering, according to the passage.

So if a man has long hair, so that someone looking at him might mistake him for a woman, or if a woman has short hair, so that someone looking at her might mistake her for a man, then it is shameful in both instances.

It is also shameful for a boy or girl to identify themselves as being the opposite gender "on the inside".

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,018,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In Orthodox and Conservative Judaism married women will cover their heads. In some traditions unmarried teenage girls will too. It can be as big as a full head scarf or as small as a doily. Others, like Reform Jews, may or may not cover their head, it is a personal choice for them if they do or do not.

The reasons are exactly the same.

As for Messianic Judaism, I cannot say for sure. I attended a service in person and have seen services on YouTube. Some of the ones on YouTube had head coverings from what I could see but the one I attended in person it was about 50-50.
Thanks for the information!

In our tradition, being single or married doesn't change it, though young girls don't typically wear head coverings. In some of the Russian parishes though, even young girls cover their heads, though it's not required. In Judaism, is there a big significance is to being married and women covering their heads? Do older single women also cover their heads?

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,018,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Usually by 18 all women will have their heads covered.

Speaking of the Russian Orthodox Tradition...
I have a book written by Saint Innocent of Alaska that I got in Unalaska, Alaska. He was the Parish Priest of The Church of the Holy Ascension, became a Bishop and finely the Metropolitan of Moscow.

He was a great man! He is one of the first canonized Orthodox saints in America. My Matushka actually grew up near his parish in Alaska. Which book of his do you have?

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,018,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
He was a great man! He is one of the first canonized Orthodox saints in America. My Matushka actually grew up near his parish in Alaska. Which book of his do you have?

I'm actually in the middle of reading his book "Indication of the Way to the Kingdom of Heaven" right now.

Reactions: Aryeh Jay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,018,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, I will have to get you the name tomorrow; it is too dark for me to find it right now.

I have been to his church near Dutch Harbor several times.
I'd love to go sometime! I haven't been to Alaska often. I was able to go once on a cruise, but we just had short stops. I hope to visit someday.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,018,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Wow, that is cool, and kind of weird too, that I would mention him.
:) very cool! It's the only book I've read by him so far. If you find out the name of your book tomorrow, I'll add it to my list of books to read!

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,018,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I suggest reading 1 Corinthians 11, a passage which is, sadly, largely ignored by the church today.

The issue is tied in with the gender identity controversy impaho.

In American culture, we consider that long hair is given as a covering, according to the passage.

So if a man has long hair, so that someone looking at him might mistake him for a woman, or if a woman has short hair, so that someone looking at her might mistake her for a man, then it is shameful in both instances.

It is also shameful for a boy or girl to identify themselves as being the opposite gender "on the inside".
Do you consider long hair for women to be a sufficient head covering?

Upvote 0

giftofGod2

Aug 16, 2016
cyberspace
✟15,845.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Do you consider long hair for women to be a sufficient head covering?

Yes, and I base this consideration on 1 Corinthians 11:14-15.

But if a woman has short hair, I believe a scarf would be necessary to wear in a church setting if the woman prays or prophesies, because of the angels. 1 Corinthians 11:5-6, 1 Corinthians 11:10.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ShaulHaTarsi

Jul 9, 2016
USA
✟8,181.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can speak for Orthodox Law:

Women are only required to cover their heads. It has nothing to do with age, and is related to the fact that an uncovered head of a married woman is seen as nakedness and immodest; as understood from the [trial of bitter water](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordeal_of_the_bitter_water) in which a woman is suspected of adultery.

Divorced/Widowed Orthodox women however still cover their hair. Conversely, an Orthodox woman who was never married does not cover her hair.

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,018,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I can speak for Orthodox Law:

Women are only required to cover their heads. It has nothing to do with age, and is related to the fact that an uncovered head of a married woman is seen as nakedness and immodest; as understood from the [trial of bitter water](Ordeal of the bitter water - Wikipedia) in which a woman is suspected of adultery.

Divorced/Widowed Orthodox women however still cover their hair. Conversely, an Orthodox woman who was never married does not cover her hair.

Thanks for the information! I never realized that only married (or previously married) Orthodox Jewish women covered their heads. In our Tradition, it is considered to be modesty for all women and is an act of obedience. It's interesting to learn the reasons behind various practices. I'll look up some more about the Ordeal of Bitter Waters.

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for the information! I never realized that only married (or previously married) Orthodox Jewish women covered their heads.

Yes, married (or previously married) women cover their hair for modesty. Hair is considered to be ervah (private part) and is to be covered. There are differences in how a woman covers (hat, scarf, wig) as well as when (uncovered for other women, male relatives, never uncovered. Plus a widow/divorcee may be granted an exemption to leave the hair uncovered in order to find another husband or perhaps a job).

Upvote 0