Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Please provide your bibical thoughts on the subject
I've seen so much videos/things online I can't decide
I'm going to fast for discernment because I can't seem to decide

Provide rules unto others, just as you'd like them to lord things over you.
---> Mathew 7: 12

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Provide rules unto others, just as you'd like them to lord things over you.
---> Mathew 7: 12
Matthew 7:
12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

Which Bible version are you using?

Upvote 0

MustardSeeed

Ambivert
Mar 7, 2017
canada
✟40,822.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

MustardSeeed

Ambivert
Mar 7, 2017
canada
✟40,822.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Not at all. I never saw that verse translated in such a way. Or was that an interpretation?

Oh okay great! I wasn't sure haha. I have a KJV but I don't know the version the other person posted. The only reason I ask is because one time I was providing my view on what someone said bibically on Facebook and this guy was like "and what bible are you reading? because I don't think we're reading the same one" like in a rude manner so I wrongly thought that was what you were doing ..

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Make no rules for other people
unless you enjoy them making up similar rules for you.

Without laws of the land you have no land. There are many laws that we would break more often if there were no laws. Usually, making it safer to live.
M-Bob

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟610,718.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think women clergy look especially fetching in a biretta, and where appropriate, not too bad in a Mitre either.
MM.jpg

Upvote 0

Harfelugan

Nov 12, 2010
✟17,053.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
There is no longer jew or greek, slave or free, male or female. It comes down to whether you take this as the definitive biblical answer, or the epistle writing that appeals to church structure in which women weren't to rule over men in teaching. Not allowed by Paul in any of the churches. One of these answers is an authorities declaration credited to God. The other is in authorities canon yet not written in thus saith the Lord application. Both can't be the biblical imperative. Only one can be deemed God'said. That is where the argument lies. 2 sides that adhere to the position they consider authoritive.
I based my decision on which would be a greater sin if I were wrong in my interpretation. Oops, I accepted a woman to be my pastor. Or oops, I denied a woman the right to be equal in Christ with myself. This isn't the husband wife situation of equality of person with difference of ppsition. To me this is there is no longer male or female.

Upvote 0

Lys Nogales

Mar 16, 2017
Washington State
✟8,367.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I feel like the bible is pretty clear about not allowing women to be pastors/heads of the church- that role was designed to be filled by men not unlike the roles of men and women in marriage. Even though the bible is against women in that particular role, there are multiple accounts of strong women in the church :

Both Priscilla and Aquila spoke privately to Apollos at Ephesus (Acts 18:24-26), correcting his incomplete and flawed theology. Further, women clearly played a significant role in the work of the Apostle Paul. In his letter to the Romans, Paul identified sixteen significant helpers in ministry (16:1-16), and at least ten of them were women. Who knows what the health of the church at Philippi would have been were it not for Lydia (Acts 16:13-15), apparently a benefactor to the church, and others such as Euodia and Syntyche (Phil. 4:2-3)? And of course, women made a significant contribution to Jesus' ministry. Luke recalled with appreciation their financial support and company with Him (Luke 8:1-3).

At my church our pastors are men but the majority of our ministries and outreaches are run by women as well we have lots of women's bible studies taught by women. So it's not that women are less important than men in the church, it's just that they have a different role, and I have never felt less needed by my congregation just because I'm not allowed to be a pastor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Without laws of the land you have no land. There are many laws that we would break more often if there were no laws. Usually, making it safer to live.
M-Bob

That is the second half of the statement.
You MAY make laws for others as long as
you let them also write laws for you.

For example, laws against who should
be allowed to get married are not created
by people who would allow others to decide
such things to be decided about themselves.

People agree about speed limits, and they also
apply to voters, judges, and Mr. Trump.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I feel like the bible is pretty clear about not allowing women to be pastors/heads of the church- that role was designed to be filled by men not unlike the roles of men and women in marriage. Even though the bible is against women in that particular role, there are multiple accounts of strong women in the church

All gender rules are nullified unless
one likes others to make up similar
rules for them.
--------->Mathew 7: 12

Upvote 0

OwenW

A friend
Sep 28, 2006
Visit site
✟8,619.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single

The issue of women being pastors or wearing head covering has caused endless controversy in the church, often fuelled by cultural discrimination clouding people's interpretation of scripture. It's interesting that men seem to be the primary ones who strongly push ideas about women in church.

Firstly head coverings:
In order to establish a doctrine as scriptural, multiple passages of scripture are needed. A doctrine should not be built on one passage. Doing so leaves too much room for false interpretations. To scripturally teach head coverings, it needs to be shown as a doctrine taught in different passages. It isn't not taught in multiple passages. When something is only taught in one place and cannot be proven through multiple passages, then careful study is needed of the single passage to see why it is saying what it is saying. The passage in Corinthians that deals with head coverings is badly taught and heavily misinterpreted. In Corinthians, Paul is dealing with an issue relevant to Corinthian society and culture. Firstly, Paul is addressing married women, not all women.

This passage is not there to show us women everywhere should wear head coverings, but to teach us how to apply Christianity into local customs. There are times local customs should be followed, despite being free in Christ, because to not do so can affect the witness of the church in the community.

Briefly: in Corinth, Prostitutes did not to wear head coverings. However, people were thinking 'we are free in Christ now and don't have to follow local customs'. So, they were coming to church without head coverings. This meant men were arriving at church with women who, to the outside observer looked like a prostitute. This brought dishonour to the marriage (hence Paul says the woman dishonours her head.... i.e.: the head of the home, her husband, by not wearing a head covering). Also, men wore head coverings as a covering before God to hide their sin (much like the caps worn by Jewish men these days). Paul says that for a man to wear these head coverings it dishonours his head - i.e.: Christ. (this is not a reference to wearing any hat, but a specific covering that has a religious motive). It's is an insult to the work Christ did to feel you have to cover your own sin s before God with a head covering. Therefore, the head coverings mentioned for men and women refer to different things. For men to wear them, they dishonour Christ and the work He did by washing us from our sins. For women not to wear them, they look like prostitutes to others and dishonour their marriage.

Also, women caught in adultery were shamed by having their hair shaved off. Paul is saying, if a woman is going to shame her marriage within Corinthian culture by not wearing a head covering, then she might as well shave her hair too.... because that is the same level of shame! It shows adultery in the marriage.

Regarding women preachers, please note that the first person to preach the resurrected Christ was a woman. She, in fact, took the message of the resurrected Christ to the disciples! Also, the woman at the well (John 4) went and preached Christ to her entire city, resulting in them coming to Him. My previous comment about establishing a scriptural truth by multiple passages, not just one, applies in asking whether women should be pastors. Can it be clearly established by a multitude of passages, rather than trying to push an idea that suits a person's personal gender discrimination, using one or two badly interpreted passages of scripture?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Regarding women preachers, please note that the first person to preach the resurrected Christ was a woman. She, in fact, took the message of the resurrected Christ to the disciples! Also, the woman at the well (John 4) went and preached Christ to her entire city, resulting in them coming to Him.
And since none of those is described in scripture as any kind of deacon, presbyter, or bishop--the worship leaders and pastors of the early churches--we can say with assurance that there is nothing in scripture that points to women clergy.

My previous comment about establishing a scriptural truth by multiple passages, not just one, applies in asking whether women should be pastors. Can it be clearly established by a multitude of passages, rather than trying to push an idea that suits a person's personal gender discrimination, using one or two badly interpreted passages of scripture?
Yes, but I think your idea of "multiple passages" being necessary to establish any doctrine is wrong.

Upvote 0