✟101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
*Orthodox Topic*
Hello everyone, I’m newly received into Orthodoxy. I’ve been feeling I should be wearing a head covering during services despite very few women (less than 5) at our parish wearing one. Although I feel like I should be wearing one at the same time it seems awkward because I’m not accustomed to it. I’ve been searching for information on the topic but I’m not finding much. I’m not on social media. If anyone has any experience, insight or advice on the subject I’d be grateful for the input.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
*Orthodox Topic*
Hello everyone, I’m newly received into Orthodoxy. I’ve been feeling I should be wearing a head covering during services despite very few women (less than 5) at our parish wearing one. Although I feel like I should be wearing one at the same time it seems awkward because I’m not accustomed to it. I’ve been searching for information on the topic but I’m not finding much. I’m not on social media. If anyone has any experience, insight or advice on the subject I’d be grateful for the input.

That was something of a joke between me and a few teenage girls at Church for a while. They would allow their headscarves to slip down onto the back of their neck and I would point at them and make a mean face. They would laugh and pull the headscarf up. For a time they would do it on purpose and look at me waiting for me to point at them.

If you want you can google pictures of Orthodox Christian women to get an idea what they do. It's usually just a simple scarf worn over the head. Nothing fancy. Most people think it looks old fashioned. A lot of women I've seen wear the scarf over their shoulders until they enter the Church then pull it up over their head. It's something you should do out of respect for the Church.

Reactions: Melista
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
One suggestion: Don’t let yourself fall into the trap of focusing so much on how the head covering looks. When I was trying to do that, I spent a lot of time working out what looked best, retying it, trying different ways to tie it, etc. I ended up having a lot of focus on the head covering itself. Try to find something simple that works - that can be easily put in without a ton of work.

Reactions: Melista
Upvote 0

Makrina

Oct 31, 2022
Kingsport, TN
✟15,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Everyone at my parish wears one. It's just the custom, it's not required. To me, it is a way of showing respect for God and it gives you the freedom to focus on your prayer rather than how your hair looks. It also is less distracting for everyone when we all do it. If it's not the custom where you go, I would skip it unless you feel it is something that should be done. If it helps you focus, do it. If it distracts you, don't.

Upvote 0

Melista

Jun 13, 2022
Noblesville
✟101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Everyone at my parish wears one. It's just the custom, it's not required. To me, it is a way of showing respect for God and it gives you the freedom to focus on your prayer rather than how your hair looks. It also is less distracting for everyone when we all do it. If it's not the custom where you go, I would skip it unless you feel it is something that should be done. If it helps you focus, do it. If it distracts you, don't.
Thanks, that’s really helpful!

Upvote 0