Confessional Liturgical Lutheran
Supporter
Sep 12, 2006
✟44,856.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My view is that it is an interesting practice, very respectful and honoring, but not required. I have prayerfully considered covering, but after discussion with my husband I do not do so because he is uncomfortable with it. Since I would be doing it to honor him as well as God, his views on the matter are significant in my decision.

I do occasionally cover during my personal devotions.

Upvote 0

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I do not cover my head. Why? Well, when Adam and Eve were ashamed of being naked and God made them clothing to wear, it says nothing in scripture about Eve receiving a head covering or that anything like it was being forced upon her to wear.

I believe personally that for the scripture that speaks of head coverings that it had to do with what was going on in society during those times. What perception did they have of women in general who didn't wear headcoverings in those days?

Upvote 0

DaRev

Apr 18, 2006
✟19,002.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Head coverings were worn in first century societies to indicate the woman's "place" in that society. St. Paul uses that practice in his writing as an example of the different roles and responsibilities of men and women in the Church. It was never meant as a command that women in the Church must cover their heads, but rather it was used as an illustration of God's created order.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟816,630.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Head coverings were worn in first century societies to indicate the woman's "place" in that society. St. Paul uses that practice in his writing as an example of the different roles and responsibilities of men and women in the Church. It was never meant as a command that women in the Church must cover their heads, but rather it was used as an illustration of God's created order.

Times change. When I was a child, all women wore hats in Church. It may have been a rural Canadian thing. The older Polish ladies wore silk scarves covering their heads. These Polish women kept it up until that generation died off.

When my dad was a child, women and unconfirmed children sat on one side of the Church, men on the other. I think this was the last vestiges of Pietism as the Church was fighting it's way back to orthodoxy. The Amish and old order Mennonites still do. They also cover their heads.

I've always wondered why RC bishops wear skull caps? Is this a throw back to the Jewish Yamuke? (Sp.)

On a lighter note... One of my friend from College was a Jewish Funeral Director. They always had a bin of these just inside the door, and when I visited, I was expected to wear one out of respect. We got to keep them. Another friend of mine asked if he could borrow one. He wore it to work on a Jewish holiday; his boss figured he was a Jew, called him in the office and insisted that he take all of the Jewish holidays off with pay. He gratefully accepted!:D^_^ (This is a true story!)

Upvote 0

synger

Confessional Liturgical Lutheran
Supporter
Sep 12, 2006
✟44,856.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I remember being in high school, and going through my exploring-other-denominations phase. I sang in an Episcopal choir for a time. When I talked to my parents about it, they were okay with me going there instead of our Presbyterian church... but my mother asked if we needed to go out and buy me a hat for church. In her mind, Episcopalian women wore hats.

When I was in college and went on a short missionary trip over break to Haiti, the church where we worked had men sitting on one side and women on the other, and the women all wore some sort of covering.

Upvote 0

seajoy

Senior Veteran
Jul 5, 2006
michigan
✟19,053.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
  • I don't wear a head covering because I can't find an authentic, original color that matches my real hair. Besides that these new hair pieces..........oops.......you're talking about hats.......eek......:sorry:
The news is out....now everyone knows about your bald head. ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟816,630.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Goodness....we wouldn't want all his brains to fall out :liturgy:

Rad needs a wig like J. S. Bach, I think it would make him eminently dignified!:thumbsup: JS_Bach_(Elias_Haussmann_1746).jpg

Upvote 0

Johnsgal

Oct 3, 2008
Missouri
✟189.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
I enjoy wearing hats to church and wear them quite often to church in the summer as I have to be careful in the sun. When I don't wear a hat people will comment on it. I have a big box packed to bring to Missouri with me, Radman might have to bring his motorhome to my house just to carry my hats.

Reactions: LilLamb219
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LutheranChick

Jul 12, 2007
Iowa
✟9,888.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I enjoy wearing hats to church and wear them quite often to church in the summer as I have to be careful in the sun. When I don't wear a hat people will comment on it. I have a big box packed to bring to Missouri with me, Radman might have to bring his motorhome to my house just to carry my hats.
Rad's wife! So glad to meet you. Welcome to TCL and congratulations on your marriage! I loved your pics on Facebook.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.