singing my hallelujah song
Feb 22, 2005
the wings of a snow white dove
✟153,558.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I don't wear my hair super-short, so I feel my hair is my headcovering.
well that's a different way of looking at it! ... that works for me as well ... I have very long hair ... thanks for the different take on this!

Reactions: mssurrendered
Upvote 0

lilmissmontana

Feb 22, 2005
✟153,558.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I actually prefer my hair medium-length. Any shorter than brushing the shoulders, and I would feel bald!
lol! ... I can relate to that! ... My hair has been long since seventh grade ... I'm not sure I'd know how to feel!

Upvote 0

mssurrendered

With God ALL things are possible
Oct 18, 2007
British columbia Canada
✟45,576.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I really know nothing about this but I myself don`t wear jeans to church.I don`t wear dresses and skirts very often except in the summer,but I do try to dress nice.I don`t think we should be judgemental to other people who come in dressed different,I just don`t feel right myself dressed like any other day.Maybe I should wear dresses,I haven`t really gave it much thought.
As for a head covering I don`t know!Why have people changed so much over the last 50 years?When I was a kid in the paoc church we never wore pants or jewellary,no one would ever have gone to church in shorts.Or short skirts or whatever!But hey,we all have our own relationship with God and thats why we`re supposed to be in the word sorting it all out.Maybe we should have head coverings?I`ve never thought about it much till now.

Upvote 0

lilmissmontana

Feb 22, 2005
✟153,558.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I guess when one gets used to something, it's kind of hard to do it any other way.

I think you have a point! lol!

I really know nothing about this but I myself don`t wear jeans to church.I don`t wear dresses and skirts very often except in the summer,but I do try to dress nice.I don`t think we should be judgemental to other people who come in dressed different,I just don`t feel right myself dressed like any other day.Maybe I should wear dresses,I haven`t really gave it much thought.
As for a head covering I don`t know!Why have people changed so much over the last 50 years?When I was a kid in the paoc church we never wore pants or jewellary,no one would ever have gone to church in shorts.Or short skirts or whatever!But hey,we all have our own relationship with God and thats why we`re supposed to be in the word sorting it all out.Maybe we should have head coverings?I`ve never thought about it much till now.

great post! ... I never gave it much thought, either ...

Upvote 0

pimorton

May 13, 2004
Ohio
✟1,184.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I wonder how many men have gone to church recently wearing a tunic, robe, and sandals. That's what they wore in the time Paul told the Corinthian church women should not cut their hair and should cover their head when praying. I believe those instructions were for that church at that time due to the fact the Corinthians were coming out of a very wicked culture. These behaviors would set women apart from the temple prostitutes which were a big part of the worship of Aphrodite in Corinth. These prostitutes typically had shorn hair or even shaved heads to indicate their profession.
OK, so none of the men have worn Biblical dress to church recently. At my church I could probably count on two hands the number of men who wear a jacket and tie. Personally I wear a shirt and tie, like I wear to work every day.
Has anyone ever wondered why Jesus taught using parables about sheep and vineyards? why He called the Pharisees "whitewashed sepulchers"? why He read from a scroll in Nazareth when He - the Word of God Himself - could have recited the entire scroll and narrated the entire New Testament then and there?
He did it to be relevant to that people in that time.And He is still relevant today. The message is the same, though the trappings might be different. I have a feeling if He came into one of our church services on Sunday He might be wearing jeans and maybe a sports shirt.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟106,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In my experience, the vast majority of Pentecostals do not practice head covering of women or men. Of course it was only prescribed for women so of course men will not cover their heads as I believe the Bible says it is shameful for them to do so.

1Co 11:6 ESV For if a wife will not cover her head, then she should cut her hair short. But since it is disgraceful for a wife to cut off her hair or shave her head, let her cover her head.
1Co 11:7 ESV For a man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God, but woman is the glory of man.

Nope, it looks like it simply says that man ought not to cover his head.

Regardless, I see head covering as a practice that was only cultural and only meant for people in the times of the apostles and the ancient Israelites.

I'd say though, that some fundamentalist holiness Pentecostals practice head covering. They tend to be of the more extreme variety in my opinion though.

Upvote 0

scjohnson1973

My lifeguard can walk on water!
Dec 31, 2007
Pennsylvania
✟251,063.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I have been doing a lot of research, and I'm starting to see that God does want Christian women to cover their heads.

Do Pentocostals typically practice this or no?

If you do cover, do you cover at all times or just in prayer. And if do cover all the time, how did you start doing it? I guess I feel a bit self-concious about it right now.

:prayer:
We belong to an AOG and the women there don't cover their heads at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

walk_by_faith

Alpine's Wifey.
Sep 20, 2005
MidWest
✟8,054.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My AOG church is laid back. Some people dress up some don't. Som women cover there heads, some don't.
I personallly prefer to wear skirts/dresses to church. Not because I have to, but because I tried to go casual one day and it made feel awful. I do cut my hair, well trim, once a year and don't cover my head, I don't feel I need to.

Upvote 0

Maidryn

Mar 12, 2008
Alberta
Visit site
✟7,704.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Wow. What a lot of great comments. I would like an answer strictly on a "church history" basis. (Now it's time for you historians to 'strut your stuff'.) When did the Christian church stop with the head coverings (we obviously did it in Biblical times)? Was there a point in history when Pentecostals did wear head coverings and then stop or did we never wear them? If we wore them once, why don't we any more? I know very little about the history of the Pentecostal church so I need y'all to inform and educate me. Thanks Kiddies.

Upvote 0

byhisstripes

pull up a chair ... coffee's on ...
Nov 27, 2007
past Idaho through the mountains
✟61,184.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wow. What a lot of great comments. I would like an answer strictly on a "church history" basis. (Now it's time for you historians to 'strut your stuff'.) When did the Christian church stop with the head coverings (we obviously did it in Biblical times)? Was there a point in history when Pentecostals did wear head coverings and then stop or did we never wear them? If we wore them once, why don't we any more? I know very little about the history of the Pentecostal church so I need y'all to inform and educate me. Thanks Kiddies.
WHAT!!! first of all I'm pretty sure most of us are adults with that being said head coverings are not scriptual it is cultural. I am not a historian nor am I struting my stuff ~ also for the record~ I have been pentecoslte since I was 2 days old and a Christian for 18 years and never in those years have we ever worn headcoverings. Hope that answers your question. :hug: Jennie

Upvote 0

divineelements

Mar 31, 2008
USA
Visit site
✟7,718.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I'm Apostolic (from Church of Our Lord Jesus Christ) and we do encourage our women to wear "prayer scarves." We generally wear them during times of prayer and when we are participating in activities in the sanctuary (singing in the choir, missionary work, etc.)

We don't get into the whole hair cutting aspect because it's really not that deep. We do believe in dressing modestly and for women to dress as women (i.e. wearing skirts)

Upvote 0

Maidryn

Mar 12, 2008
Alberta
Visit site
✟7,704.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Dear Jennie;
You seem to have taken a bit of offense at what I said in my post (those are a lot of exclamation marks) and I'm not sure why.
When I used the term "Kiddies" it was meant to be affectionate not derogitory and when I said "strut your stuff" I wasn't being hostile, I was trying to be encouraging. I admit that I know very little about the history of the Pentecostal church, which is why I was asking for the help and information (especially as it relates to headcoverings). I have not made a decision about the topic because I just don't have enough knowledge about it.
When I first got my computer someone told me that, "there is a great risk of being misunderstood because you can't see someone's expression or hear their tone of voice when you're writing to them. So if you suspect the worst - don't." I truly am sorry if I offended you. I'm new to this website but I want to make friends and it's my belief that no issue or topic is worth creating a rift over. So I hope you are reassured that I meant nothing bad in what I said. I still would like to hear from others who know about the history of the Pentecostal church. I've never had the benefit of experiences like Bible College and I would like to know a bit more about the church that I have been a part of for all these years.
Thanks. Love Maidryn:wave:

Reactions: byhisstripes
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

byhisstripes

pull up a chair ... coffee's on ...
Nov 27, 2007
past Idaho through the mountains
✟61,184.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Good morning Maidryn,
yes that is the one bad thing about havening to type responses in most cases because you can not see the manner in which is was typed.
I was not really offended by the term kiddies as much as upset because it felt like you were talking down to us (my sister used to use that term with us all the time and we were only 9 months apart and she did use it as a way to be superior to us) but the strut your stuff I sort of did. I am learning tactfulness which is what I was trying to be LOL however I apperantly wasn't very good at it because two other dear friends of mine lilmiss and mssurendered brought it to my attention that I possible upset you as well and I assure you that it was never ment in that way. I will try a different rout in the future so this may not happen again. The last thing that I want to do is cause tention and hard ship in a forum. We are supposed to build eachother up not tear eachother down and it seams that that is what has happened her with my response to you and I'm truely sorry. Peace and no hard feelings :hug: Jennie :)

Upvote 0

mssurrendered

With God ALL things are possible
Oct 18, 2007
British columbia Canada
✟45,576.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Now that to me is one of the most important things we have to do as christians,is show Gods love right away when offence comes up.This has been one of the hardest things I have had to do in my christian walk is deal with been offended with another christian.
I`m so glad you both dealt with it right away.Many times I didn`t and had to learn the hard way.God bless.

Upvote 0

lilmissmontana

Feb 22, 2005
✟153,558.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Now that to me is one of the most important things we have to do as christians,is show Gods love right away when offence comes up.This has been one of the hardest things I have had to do in my christian walk is deal with been offended with another christian.
I`m so glad you both dealt with it right away.Many times I didn`t and had to learn the hard way.God bless.
amen! and God bless both of you real big!

Upvote 0

Maidryn

Mar 12, 2008
Alberta
Visit site
✟7,704.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Dear Jennie;
So glad you're not mad at me. I'm new here and I spent a couple of days wondering what I had done wrong and more importantly, how to fix things between us.
I'm glad things are okay now and I consider it all forgiven and forgotten - I hope you can do the same for me. I suspect that we may become good friends and Satan was trying to throw a 'monkey wrench into the works'. He hates for Christians to be unified. If he can get us upset with each other, then we'll stop working together and furthering the Kingdom. Praise God for saving us from ourselves and for "hisstripes".
Love Maidryn:clap:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.