USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
It has been a while since this topic has been raised in this forum. As someone who wore a head covering in the past, I’m curious to know your thoughts.

Do you feel its necessary to cover your head? If so, do you abide by the practice every day or in certain scenarios? Is it only restricted to women or are men included?

I look forward to your response. :)

TreWalker

Jewish Magen Am
Jul 20, 2019
Pacific Northwest
✟83,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
It has been a while since this topic has been raised in this forum. As someone who wore a head covering in the past, I’m curious to know your thoughts.

Do you feel its necessary to cover your head? If so, do you abide by the practice every day or in certain scenarios? Is it only restricted to women or are men included?

I look forward to your response. :)
I cover my head for worship and in community. When alone and among the secular world I do not. I've been victim of antisemitism when I openly identify as a Jew.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I wore a head covering for one year. It was a process of purification undertaken by the Lord. I purchased tichels made in Israel and various scarves that caught my eye.

There are many ways to wear the scarves. I’m including a few images which illustrate their adaptability for all settings. Small embellishments (jewels or pins) can evoke a different mood and may be suitable for environments when overt head coverings would draw negative attention.

What I discovered during that period was society’s reception of difference. My long tresses were tucked away. I was still attractive and wore makeup. But the absence of hair was startling. I felt ordinary in spite of my beauty.

I received a lot of attention from Jewish, Muslim, and Indian women. Suddenly all the women wearing similar coverings took notice. They went out of their way to greet me and smiled when we passed one another on the street.

But that was two-fold. I noticed them too. I saw lovely garments and frequently gave compliments. My reception at church was a little different. Some were uncomfortable and others didn’t care.

One person asked if I was in mourning and another felt I should take it off. I was in an Evangelical setting and I persevered in spite of their complaints.

I felt more subdued while covered. Something was restrained. Its hard to describe. But men were noticeably pleasant and didn’t leer. They treated me well.

When the time arrived for its removal I experienced a startling difference. I felt freer and noticed my appearance more than I did before. But the covered ladies no longer noticed me. When I greeted them it wasn’t the same. I wasn’t one of them. And men approached more frequently than they had.

There are spiritual properties to all of this and that was its purpose. I continue to use a scarf in worship. Whether I’m at a synagogue or church and always during prayer.

One of the unexpected benefits of the experience was the power of bias and how frequently we ignore others in our midst. There are moments when I felt that way and I’m an extrovert.

I don’t know if I’d resume the practice when I marry. Many women use a wig instead. I would if my husband desired it or the Lord instructed me to do so. It was an important lesson in my growth and sanctification. I am blessed by its occurrence.

04F2013E-3EDD-4F43-8212-4E16EDD4E016.jpeg
7C83C506-192B-416D-B53C-84F6127E7DA6.jpeg
CBFBC7E2-07ED-4738-B963-E0178672239A.jpeg
CF17F5F9-E3AD-4401-B29B-93C128E3FECC.jpeg

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,526.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Cor 11:10 is interesting

Therefore the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels

- it was not a matter of modesty, just a sign that one was under authority. If one is not under authority the angels are unable to minister.

So the matter of being under authority was the focus - I think the physical covering was more cultural.

However I respect those who feel for a season the Lord requires it.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1 Cor 11:10 is interesting

Therefore the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels

- it was not a matter of modesty, just a sign that one was under authority. If one is not under authority the angels are unable to minister.

So the matter of being under authority was the focus - I think the physical covering was more cultural.

However I respect those who feel for a season the Lord requires it.
Hi Carl. I don't think that is the point of the OP, so I avoided making that comment, too. However, I think it goes deeper. The context is prayer and prophecy. It is about allowing the Lord to work thru the man without being undermined by the woman, covering the head (the man as head of the woman, and Christ as head of the man). But this may be deemed off topic, so I won't go further.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi Carl. I don't think that is the point of the OP, so I avoided making that comment, too. But this may be deemed off topic, so I won't go further.

The OP is phrased to enable the respondents to broach the subject from a personal perspective.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The OP is phrased to enable the respondents to broach the subject from a personal perspective.
Does a personal perspective mean in our understandings 1Cor 11 meaning of head coverings? Or simply wearing head coverings in church?

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Since the OP is also asking for personal understanding of 1 Cor 11 on head coverings, I will share my opinion. No one else has ever said what I think from what I have read, and even my wife disagrees with me. But this is how I see it.

There are a few things to consider first.

The early believers did not "go to church" as understood today. They met in homes. The Jewish believers met in synagogues at first, but were kicked out by Jews who rejected Christ. Greek believers, of which Corinth was comprised, never met in the pagan temples, but in homes. Jewish believers in Jerusalem met in the Temple until cast out, but also met in homes to break bread together (Acts 2:46). Lydia had invited Paul & company into her home (Acts 16:15), which was a common practice which is why the Didache gave practical guidelines for entertaining traveling evangelists and apostles. In fact, church as we know developed around the 3rd century AD when Greek orators became Christians and saw a way to make a living preaching and teaching. Paul, of course, did the same thing, as seen in Acts 20, but it was not necessarily a weekly meeting for him. The point is this: the Corinthians were meeting and eating in homes, which was an interactive gathering of all the believers instead of just one man preaching or teaching.

The other consideration is the context surrounding chapter 11. What were the main points Paul was addressing? A short survey of the chapters will give context to the head covering issue, which really seems out of place and a non sequitur passage.

The Corinthians were still carnal and natural in their thinking, in need of really renewing their minds. They operated in the spiritual gifts, but lacked spiritual maturity. A common sight today with ministers who have had miraculous ministries only to fall in scandal of immorality.
Perhaps they thought they were mature because they functioned in the gifts. A trap common to many. Here is the survey.

Church Division
C1 Church Division - they were taking sides on leaders
C2 Spiritual Discernment - Paul demonstrated Christ by his own self denial & the Spirit
C3 Division Caused by Natural Thinking - taking sides blinded them to group labor in the Lord
C4 Apostolic Foundation - Paul's self denial lowered their esteem of him, yet it allowed Christ to be seen

Natural Thinking and Carnal Behavior
C5 Natural Thinking Carnal Behavior - they thought they were spiritual tolerating sexual immorality
C6 Carnality in Lawsuits and Sexual Immorality - instead of turning the other cheek, they sued each other and visited prostitutes
C7 Marriage in the Lord - issue of sex meant for marriage, but not all marry, others married to unbelievers

Consideration for One Another When Coming Together
C8 Consideration for One Another - legalism brought judgment on those eating meat to idols
C9 Paul's Consideration for the Gospel by Declining Money - some leaders were seeking support, but viewed that as the low road whereas the high road is not to financially burden them
C10 Forsake Division & Carnality for Unity of the Spirit - graciously accepting food offered

Flowing in the Spirit when Together
C11 Flow of the Spirit and Unity in Fellowship - prayer & prophecy, communion meals
C12 Spiritual Gifts - distribution of spiritual gifts in the body
C13 Love as motive for Gifts - seeking gifts to bless others
C14 Prophecy and Tongues - share in an orderly fashion without confusion

The Future
C15 On Glorified Bodies - resurrected bodies will be a new spiritual body
C16 Mission Journeys - offering for poor Jewish saints in Jerusalem, his travels

I hope this is not too long. Here is the meat. As seen by the outline the Corinthians were a disorderly bunch and Paul tried to bring order to their gatherings.

Paul sets up the divine order in 11:3

1Co 11:3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
Natural thinking considers the word "head" in terms of authority. But the word "head" also means source, as in the head waters of a river is the source of the river. Source of what? The flow of divine life and communication.

God is the head of Christ; Christ is the head of man; man is the head of woman. I believe he means in marriage, not just any man or woman. In verse 4 he qualifies what he means.

1Co 11:4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.​

When a man covers his head he dishonors his head. What is a cover? Something that blocks or hides something else. What is the head of man? Verse 3 said, Christ. So what does 4 mean by context? It means when a man is talking to God or speaking on behalf of God, when he blocks or hides the communication of Christ he dishonors Christ. Now what about the wife?

1Co 11:5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.​

Her head is her husband. Her husband should be a spiritual leader for her. If he does not step up to the task, and she has to step in to pray or prophesize, it undermines his leadership and is a shame brought on him. To say it is as if she were shaven, I think he means as though she were not married.

Marriage of a woman throughout world history has always been a shame if they were not married. Today this seems very strange since so many women do not marry and there is no shame. I think this is what verse 6 is about.

1Co 11:6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.​

Change the word "covered" to married and "shorn" to single, then the verse is saying if she is not married, let her pray or prophesize freely as a single woman, since no husband is being undermined. But if she is ashamed of being single, let her marry.

The divine order does not change.

1Co 11:7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
1Co 11:8 For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man.
1Co 11:8 For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man.​

Men should bring God glory by honoring Christ in prayer and prophecy, and wives should bring God glory by honoring their husbands. When the divine order is confused, it opens the door to problems.

1Co 11:10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.​

I don't think these means holy angels, but demons. Confusion in order of the Lord is the play ground of devils where they reek all kinds of damage.

This order is not a power trip. It is part of mutual submission.

1Co 11:11 Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.
1Co 11:12 For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God.​

As Paul continues this theme in chapter 12 when he speaks of part of the body have equality, though not sameness. God gives balance between seemingly more honorable roles, such as apostles with seemingly less honorable roles such as servants, by bringing more kingdom honor to the seemingly weaker vessel, ie servants, and here between husbands and wives.

Paul uses nature to make his point by comparing a wife praying instead of her husband (uncovered) with the embarrassment of nudity.

1Co 11:13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?
1Co 11:14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
1Co 11:15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.​

For a man to act like a woman it is a shame. Long hair on a woman covers her nudity, keeping her modest. But Paul, nonetheless, dismisses the entire argument suggesting the freedom we all have in Christ, but the considerations are discussed because we still live in a fallen world.

1Co 11:16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.​

I suppose, most who took the time to read all of this will disagree. That is fine. My wife disagrees, too. I am just saying it for whoever this might benefit.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Since the OP is also asking for personal understanding of 1 Cor 11 on head coverings, I will share my opinion. No one else has ever said what I think from what I have read, and even my wife disagrees with me. But this is how I see it.

There are a few things to consider first.

The early believers did not "go to church" as understood today. They met in homes. The Jewish believers met in synagogues at first, but were kicked out by Jews who rejected Christ. Greek believers, of which Corinth was comprised, never met in the pagan temples, but in homes. Jewish believers in Jerusalem met in the Temple until cast out, but also met in homes to break bread together (Acts 2:46). Lydia had invited Paul & company into her home (Acts 16:15), which was a common practice which is why the Didache gave practical guidelines for entertaining traveling evangelists and apostles. In fact, church as we know developed around the 3rd century AD when Greek orators became Christians and saw a way to make a living preaching and teaching. Paul, of course, did the same thing, as seen in Acts 20, but it was not necessarily a weekly meeting for him. The point is this: the Corinthians were meeting and eating in homes, which was an interactive gathering of all the believers instead of just one man preaching or teaching.

The other consideration is the context surrounding chapter 11. What were the main points Paul was addressing? A short survey of the chapters will give context to the head covering issue, which really seems out of place and a non sequitur passage.

The Corinthians were still carnal and natural in their thinking, in need of really renewing their minds. They operated in the spiritual gifts, but lacked spiritual maturity. A common sight today with ministers who have had miraculous ministries only to fall in scandal of immorality.
Perhaps they thought they were mature because they functioned in the gifts. A trap common to many. Here is the survey.

Church Division
C1 Church Division - they were taking sides on leaders
C2 Spiritual Discernment - Paul demonstrated Christ by his own self denial & the Spirit
C3 Division Caused by Natural Thinking - taking sides blinded them to group labor in the Lord
C4 Apostolic Foundation - Paul's self denial lowered their esteem of him, yet it allowed Christ to be seen

Natural Thinking and Carnal Behavior
C5 Natural Thinking Carnal Behavior - they thought they were spiritual tolerating sexual immorality
C6 Carnality in Lawsuits and Sexual Immorality - instead of turning the other cheek, they sued each other and visited prostitutes
C7 Marriage in the Lord - issue of sex meant for marriage, but not all marry, others married to unbelievers

Consideration for One Another When Coming Together
C8 Consideration for One Another - legalism brought judgment on those eating meat to idols
C9 Paul's Consideration for the Gospel by Declining Money - some leaders were seeking support, but viewed that as the low road whereas the high road is not to financially burden them
C10 Forsake Division & Carnality for Unity of the Spirit - graciously accepting food offered

Flowing in the Spirit when Together
C11 Flow of the Spirit and Unity in Fellowship - prayer & prophecy, communion meals
C12 Spiritual Gifts - distribution of spiritual gifts in the body
C13 Love as motive for Gifts - seeking gifts to bless others
C14 Prophecy and Tongues - share in an orderly fashion without confusion

The Future
C15 On Glorified Bodies - resurrected bodies will be a new spiritual body
C16 Mission Journeys - offering for poor Jewish saints in Jerusalem, his travels

I hope this is not too long. Here is the meat. As seen by the outline the Corinthians were a disorderly bunch and Paul tried to bring order to their gatherings.

Paul sets up the divine order in 11:3

1Co 11:3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
Natural thinking considers the word "head" in terms of authority. But the word "head" also means source, as in the head waters of a river is the source of the river. Source of what? The flow of divine life and communication.

God is the head of Christ; Christ is the head of man; man is the head of woman. I believe he means in marriage, not just any man or woman. In verse 4 he qualifies what he means.

1Co 11:4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.​

When a man covers his head he dishonors his head. What is a cover? Something that blocks or hides something else. What is the head of man? Verse 3 said, Christ. So what does 4 mean by context? It means when a man is talking to God or speaking on behalf of God, when he blocks or hides the communication of Christ he dishonors Christ. Now what about the wife?

1Co 11:5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.​

Her head is her husband. Her husband should be a spiritual leader for her. If he does not step up to the task, and she has to step in to pray or prophesize, it undermines his leadership and is a shame brought on him. To say it is as if she were shaven, I think he means as though she were not married.

Marriage of a woman throughout world history has always been a shame if they were not married. Today this seems very strange since so many women do not marry and there is no shame. I think this is what verse 6 is about.

1Co 11:6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.​

Change the word "covered" to married and "shorn" to single, then the verse is saying if she is not married, let her pray or prophesize freely as a single woman, since no husband is being undermined. But if she is ashamed of being single, let her marry.

The divine order does not change.

1Co 11:7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
1Co 11:8 For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man.
1Co 11:8 For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man.​

Men should bring God glory by honoring Christ in prayer and prophecy, and wives should bring God glory by honoring their husbands. When the divine order is confused, it opens the door to problems.

1Co 11:10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.​

I don't think these means holy angels, but demons. Confusion in order of the Lord is the play ground of devils where they reek all kinds of damage.

This order is not a power trip. It is part of mutual submission.

1Co 11:11 Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.
1Co 11:12 For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God.​

As Paul continues this theme in chapter 12 when he speaks of part of the body have equality, though not sameness. God gives balance between seemingly more honorable roles, such as apostles with seemingly less honorable roles such as servants, by bringing more kingdom honor to the seemingly weaker vessel, ie servants, and here between husbands and wives.

Paul uses nature to make his point by comparing a wife praying instead of her husband (uncovered) with the embarrassment of nudity.

1Co 11:13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?
1Co 11:14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
1Co 11:15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.​

For a man to act like a woman it is a shame. Long hair on a woman covers her nudity, keeping her modest. But Paul, nonetheless, dismisses the entire argument suggesting the freedom we all have in Christ, but the considerations are discussed because we still live in a fallen world.

1Co 11:16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.​

I suppose, most who took the time to read all of this will disagree. That is fine. My wife disagrees, too. I am just saying it for whoever this might benefit.
I’ve always heard that head means source.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
@AlexDTX

I am battling a tension headache and will read your post once more in the morning. Thank you for expounding. I seem to recall shorn relating to temple prostitutes but I’ll have to revisit the text. He is outlining the divine order. :)

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

In most old Christian churches (the ones founded directly by the apostles) the only men that do this are clergy as part of an official liturgical garb basically the liturgical tradition of both temple and synagogue are brought forward and adapted as the norm for Christian worship.

Now for women it is different. The hair of women was considered to be erotic in ancient times. That was why it was covered it up in public. It would be a little like showing a lot of cleavage, or maybe having some of your pubic hair stick out of a skirt (If you had an exposed navel). But yes the Semitic people seem to have this association, but it wasn't just them there are Greek and Roman texts from Physicians where they relate the length of a woman's hair to fertility they literally believed that the somehow the length of the hair somehow caused suction somehow to draw the seed of the man into the uterus etc. Now today we don't really believe that sort of thing, but nevertheless Eastern Christians do generally take the head covering passage of Corinthians seriously because of Pauls passage in 1 Cor 11 he does not indicate that this purely a cultural thing but tends to frame it literally as a kind of cosmological argument for complimentarianism of the sexes.

This is largely practices as a church thing in the United States But most of my church folk do living in Muslim lands, so in Egypt etc. I think it may be done sometimes outside of the church, but purely as a reaction to Muslim persecution since that gets very nasty (rape and assault).

I was going to talk more on this topic theologically speaking, but I'm pooping out (I would normally be in bed by now). This topic in general is kind of important because of the metaphysical aspects of being a believer. The liturgical things we do help to set a proper state of mind to worship the Lord in Spirit and Truth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,896.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What I discovered during that period was society’s reception of difference. My long tresses were tucked away. I was still attractive and wore makeup. But the absence of hair was startling. I felt ordinary in spite of my beauty.

It's interesting; I haven't routinely covered my head but have done so, for example, to visit a mosque. I found the experience quite different; I felt liberated from the pressure to have perfect hair, to be the perfect consumer who presents as the idealised commodified beauty.

While it's not the cultural norm where I am, and I don't tend to cover my head in general because it would confuse others, if I were in a context where that was the norm I think I would not mind.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's not original to me. I think I first heard it on Focus on the Family.
That may have been where I heard it too.
Paul sets up the divine order in 11:3.......
The source of the flow of the divine life, like the flow of the 4 rivers in the garden .. progression is made to the river of life in the New Jerusalem in the final analysis. The Hebrews means the river crossers, the last of the priestly crossings was over the Euphrates.

Also the tie to God and hair in the OT is to Nazarite vows which both men and women were welcome to partake in. In that their covering was God.

Upvote 0