United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
IconaDerzhavnaya.jpg

Late last year, I came across a particularly erudite comment on a friend’s Facebook post, detailing the evidence for ancient and medieval knowledge that the world was spherical, contrary to the modern myth that people used to believe the Earth was flat.

Unfortunately, I have lost the information, but this was most striking: the writer, Joe Cole, pointed out that iconography attests to the widespread idea that the Earth was in fact a globe.

On Wikipedia, it is noted:

Holding the world in one’s hand, or, more ominously, under one’s foot, has been a symbol since antiquity. To citizens of the Roman Empire, the plain spherical globe held by the god Jupiter represented the world or the universe, as the dominion held by the Emperor.

… With the growth of Christianity in the 5th century, the orb (in Latin works ‘orbis terrarum’, the ‘world of the lands’, whence “orb” derives) was surmounted with a cross, hence ‘globus cruciger’, symbolizing the Christian God’s dominion of the world.

What a simple refutation of the flat earth myth, with such readily available images! Yet, people persist in believing that our forebears thought the Earth was flat, sometimes using this myth as an example of the purported ignorance of religious people. Worse, a friend of mine knows someone who actually believes the Earth is indeed flat. One wonders if he has ever taken a plane and observed the curvature of the Earth’s surface.

Continued below.
He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands: Myth of the Flat Earth

Reactions: Darkhorse