Nov 3, 2003
✟5,464.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I know that i'm a gifted writer and that I have the potential to write books, and I like to write.

So I have about three different books now that i've started on.. the problem is that I get scared and stop.

How does a person start.. AND FINISH a book.

I'm going to research online about writing right now for the fun of it. Any tips? Suggestions?

HB

liesje

Singing in the rain
Aug 30, 2008
✟17,066.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I know that i'm a gifted writer and that I have the potential to write books, and I like to write.

So I have about three different books now that i've started on.. the problem is that I get scared and stop.

I'm going to research online about writing right now for the fun of it. Any tips? Suggestions?

HB

Write.

When you have inspiration, write.
When you have nothing to say, write.
When you're scared, write.

As they say, writing is 10% inspiration, 90% perspiration. It isn't for the faint hearted.

I often struggle with finding things to write, so I've taken to carrying a little notebook around with me and noting down any ideas I have so that I don't forget them, noting down descriptions or interesting things that I overhear or come across during the day. I even get ideas from single words in lectures...

Writing can be scary, because to do it properly you have to open up your heart and pour it out onto paper.

A good tip for finishing a book is to have a plan (duh) so you know where the story is heading. You can't guarantee your characters will cooperate...but that's what makes writing so exciting.

Also, they say to make a time each day to write and stick to it, or to set a goal, such as writing one chapter, or a certain amount of words each day.

I find that if I want to get anywhere, I have to give my inner editor a holiday and just write, otherwise you fall into the trap of spending more time rewriting than you do actually writing.

Another crucial part of writing is reading. Read lots and lots - you'll get ideas and inspiration, and it will show you what good writing is.

Just stick to it. I like the quote from Noel Coward which goes something on these lines: "Thousands of people have talent. I might as well congratulate you for having eyes in your head. The one and only thing that counts is: Do you have staying power?" If you want to finish, you have to run the race - keep at it.

Hope that helps :)

Upvote 0

hisbloodformysins

He's my best friend
Nov 3, 2003
✟5,464.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Yes I that does help. Thank you.

In the past i've tried to do outlines but have given up on them because I feel like they limit me, and like i'm bound to them, do you know what I mean?

But yesterday I decided that right now an outline is the best way to go because i have many different ideas for this story and I need an outline to help direct the path. Also this story can have different feels to it and i know i need to stick to one mood for the story.

I have many different book ideas and that's part of the problem too. I'll start writing on one book idea and once i get into the boring day to day part of it... i feel inspiration to write about something else.

What i've started doing is write in a journal when I feel inspiriation, mainly about what is going on in my life and i'm hoping that part of what i'm experiencing right now can be included reflected some how in what i'm writing about, like that it will add richness to the characters.

I will take all the advice I can get. I have four little kids and been experiencing a lot of stuff in my personal life so i have not taken the time to read on writing and there are so many other projects to do as well. But right now in my life, when I pray about my future in particular I feel like right now this is what I need to do, to write.

I'm going to finish reading my book on writing and check out more and will come here and i've been considering joining a community writer's group but have not done that before, is that something you recommend?

I have more to say but i'll make a different topic because this is getting lengthy

I'll take all the advice I can get, I know you all have worthwhile input and have a lot of experience with this.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives

HB
Write for fun.

The best thing I can offer is the song:
Sing, sing a song.

Write: Make it simple, to last a whole life long, don't worry that your not good enough, just write.
Write what you know, or want to learn to know. Write about discovering what you want to know.

My life experiences, I have rode a horse with a lance against a quintain, I have worn some armor, I have been on military exercises. Sleeping under the stars with a weapon in hand, standing on a post on Christmas eve watching the snow fall.
I try to use what I know to share with the reader.

Life is life, creative writing is filtering out the boring and filling it in with interesting, and doing it so your readers won't want to answer the phone, won't want to play a facebook game.
Don't let the work of writing spoil the fun of writing.

Upvote 0