Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The past couple months have been rough for me spiritually. Things have actually gone well everywhere else in life, I’ve graduated college and started a new job, but I feel like my faith has fallen off a cliff. It’s not that I believe any less than before, but my practice of it has dropped in many ways because of my circumstances.

I work producing the evening news, so I’m on the clock from 2pm to midnight, sometimes 7 days a week. Which means I’m almost always unavailable to go to confession because I’m either at work or asleep. Since I work late I generally sleep until 10 in the morning.

Basically all that leaves me is Sunday Mass, which I gladly go to, though it’s difficult when I’m so tired. I’d go to one of the later ones but frankly they’re hard because they’re all more contemporary.

But I digress.

I don’t even know what the point of posting this is, cause I don’t think advice would do me any good. I haven’t been to confession since Black Friday, which obviously means I haven’t received the Eucharist since then either. For a while I had opportunities to go on Tuesday nights (I don’t have that opportunity now though) but I avoided it because the priest who does confession on Tuesdays isn’t from my parish, and he’s… not the greatest. He’s a modernist, and at the risk fo sounding whiny, he really piled on the guilt and shame when I saw him for confession last summer. It’s not like I have any shortage of that given the sins I struggle with.

As time’s gone by, I’ve progressively felt more complacent and frustrated. The frustration and irritation comes from the sense that every conversation among lay Catholics I've witnessed is some kind of political rant. Obsession with some political issues just makes me want to disengage. Not from the Church, I don't blame the Church for anything, but I want to pull away from other Catholics.

So I guess… I could use some prayers? I don’t know.

Thanks for reading though, cheers.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,667,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Prayers for you Fenwick. Why did you post this? Because some of us needed to read it. I know how you feel. Catholicism is a high disciple practice of the Christian Faith. And why not? The RCC claims to hold the fullness of Faith. Full time job. And in today's world, it is not an easy thing to do with all the obligations the Church requires us to fulfill. You have to remember that God knows our hearts. Better than we do. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. Among our other obligations today that we have in the world among our own family and friends. Again- prayers for you and your intentions.
The past couple months have been rough for me spiritually. Things have actually gone well everywhere else in life, I’ve graduated college and started a new job, but I feel like my faith has fallen off a cliff. It’s not that I believe any less than before, but my practice of it has dropped in many ways because of my circumstances.

I work producing the evening news, so I’m on the clock from 2pm to midnight, sometimes 7 days a week. Which means I’m almost always unavailable to go to confession because I’m either at work or asleep. Since I work late I generally sleep until 10 in the morning.

Basically all that leaves me is Sunday Mass, which I gladly go to, though it’s difficult when I’m so tired. I’d go to one of the later ones but frankly they’re hard because they’re all more contemporary.

But I digress.

I don’t even know what the point of posting this is, cause I don’t think advice would do me any good. I haven’t been to confession since Black Friday, which obviously means I haven’t received the Eucharist since then either. For a while I had opportunities to go on Tuesday nights (I don’t have that opportunity now though) but I avoided it because the priest who does confession on Tuesdays isn’t from my parish, and he’s… not the greatest. He’s a modernist, and at the risk fo sounding whiny, he really piled on the guilt and shame when I saw him for confession last summer. It’s not like I have any shortage of that given the sins I struggle with.

As time’s gone by, I’ve progressively felt more complacent and frustrated. The frustration and irritation comes from the sense that every conversation among lay Catholics I've witnessed is some kind of political rant. Obsession with some political issues just makes me want to disengage. Not from the Church, I don't blame the Church for anything, but I want to pull away from other Catholics.

So I guess… I could use some prayers? I don’t know.

Thanks for reading though, cheers.

Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟433,937.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Prayers for you Fenwick. Why did you post this? Because some of us needed to read it. I know how you feel. Catholicism is a high disciple practice of the Christian Faith. And why not? The RCC claims to hold the fullness of Faith. Full time job. And in today's world, it is not an easy thing to do with all the obligations the Church requires us to fulfill. You have to remember that God knows our hearts. Better than we do. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. Among our other obligations today that we have in the world among our own family and friends. Again- prayers for you and your intentions.

Thanks Michie, I appreciate that.

• Prayers
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
I have worked, weekends, overnights, overnights with weekends and now 2nd shift. It is tough. Don’t beat up on yourself. God is not lookings down on you rubbing his hands together waiting for you to screw up.

It’s tough. It takes discipline, one step forward, two steps back.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟433,937.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have worked, weekends, overnights, overnights with weekends and now 2nd shift. It is tough. Don’t beat up on yourself. God is not lookings down on you rubbing his hands together waiting for you to screw up.

It’s tough. It takes discipline, one step forward, two steps back.

Thanks for the encouragement, I appreciate it.

I will pray for you bro :)

remember, our Lady has given us the rosary because she is a gentle mother and she knows how harsh this world can be!
prayerful use of the Rosary will help you in so many ways

Thanks man, I'll give it a try. Admittedly I never actually memorized how to pray the rosary, and it's not something I've ever properly done in full. I guess now's as good a time as any to start working on it...

Upvote 0