• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

AllDayFaith

Sep 15, 2018
Spring Hill
Visit site
✟76,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is what I'm going through:
Proverbs 17:9 He who covers and forgives an offense seeks love, but he who repeats or gossips about a matter separates intimate friends.

The people around me are refusing to forgive me for an offense, and all day every day they remind me of what happened to me.

Is it alright to stop doing things for people who are mistreating me?

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you've asked The Lord, to forgive you for your offense then you're sorted as that's what's important. I wouldn't really bother any more, with those other people if I were you but would give them space instead.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: AllDayFaith
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Is it alright to stop doing things for people who are mistreating me?
1 Peter 2:18-23
"Servants, be submissive to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and gentle, but also to those who are unreasonable. For this finds favor, if for the sake of conscience toward God a person bears up under sorrows when suffering unjustly. For what credit is there if, when you sin and are harshly treated, you endure it with patience? But if when you do what is right and suffer for it you patiently endure it, this finds favor with God.
For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps, Who committed no sin nor was any deceit found in His mouth; and while being reviled, He did not revile in return; while suffering, He uttered no threats, but kept entrusting Himself to Him who judges righteously."

• Agree
Upvote 0

AllDayFaith

Sep 15, 2018
Spring Hill
Visit site
✟76,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
1 Peter 2:18-23
Okay, I believe you are correct. I am being treated horribly, but I still have to be submissive to those who are unreasonable. It doesn't seem right, I should be able to walk away from these people. But I trust that God knows best, thanks for clearing this up for me.

• Optimistic
Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
So does the suffering ever go away? Or is this life now?
We will suffer to some degree for our entire lives on this side of eternity. We live in a Genesis 3 world; under the curse of pain, frustration, and sorrow because of a sin-filled creation.
But, as a Christian, with God as our Father, our suffering has a glorious and hopeful purpose:
Hebrews 12:7-11
God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom a father does not chasten? But if you are without chastening, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate and not sons. Furthermore, we have had human fathers who corrected us, and we paid them respect. Shall we not much more readily be in subjection to the Father of spirits and live? For they indeed for a few days chastened us as seemed best to them, but He for our profit, that we may be partakers of His holiness.
Now no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

Psalms 119:71
It is good for me that I have been afflicted, that I may learn Your statutes.

Our suffering is one of the key ingredients God uses to make us more like Jesus. The saying, 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger' is generally true; for Christians and non-Christians alike. But the difference is that the non-Christian becomes stronger in their confidence to overcome through themselves or some other creature, while the Christian grows in their confidence in God.
Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

There's a really cool verse in Malachi chapter 3 that talks about God refining His people. He breaks us down like melting metal in order to bring our impurities to the surface. In this way, He shows us our great weakness and utter dependance upon Him to help us do the right thing. And He does help us by bringing our sin to the surface and by moving us to our knees to confess our sins and motivate us to grow in holiness.
Malachi 3:3
He will sit as a refiner and a purifier of silver; He will purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer to the LORD an offering in righteousness.

• Agree
Upvote 0