America
✟8,668.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Ok I know the main ones that have had secular success: impending doom, ABR,TDWP, underoath, norma jean, for today (don't like the band now) etc.

I want something of more of my taste similiar to the bands: born of osiris, the contortionist, the HAARP machine, animals as leaders etc. A band that is progressive metal or technical deathcore. If they are jazz influenced or experimental as well that would be awesome.

Problem is that I CAN NOT find a band in my taste. Please, I would love recommends atleast some what close to my tastes. I havent given up on christian metal yet.

PaxThroughX

With dead memories in my heart
Jan 27, 2012
America
✟8,668.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I guess after no instant replies, makes what I said true. Christian metal sucks. It always will if christian musicans wont take the time to make something good or have a crappy vocalist shattering the song in a million pieces.

Upvote 0

PaxThroughX

Jan 27, 2012
America
✟8,668.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Progressive metal, you say? Maybe Theocracy or Balance Of Power? Don't blame me if they suck, just found them on wikipedia.

Theocracy has some hit and miss tracks, but they are more power metal. I heard of them before.

Balance of power? Eh, next song please.

Upvote 0

The Theory

Bagpipes well could he blow.
May 23, 2002
Lancaster, PA
Visit site
✟2,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"technical deathcore"?

The metal scene is going to burrow itself into irrelevancy if they keep fragmenting genre names more and more like this. Yikes.

I was always more of a black metal guy, so I suspect whatever this "technical deathcore" is, I won't have any helpful suggestions for your niche. Unless Extol (Burial would be the target album) would be up your alley. Keeping in mind they're from 1998 (that album, anyway), and the production sounds like it. They've got technical moments, but they're not flashy about it:

Extol - Renhetens Elv - YouTube

Ah hell, I'm just going to ignore all the genre labels you're looking for and just post what I would see as some of the standouts I've encountered in my treks through more extreme music--these may not necessarily be in your normal realm, but perhaps something will stick.

Training For Utopia - Burning Match In Hand - YouTube
Training For Utopia - Burning Match In Hand (from Plastic Soul Impalement)

Living Sacrifice - Overkill Exposure [Official Video] - YouTube
Living Sacrifice - Overkill Exposure (From The Infinite Order)

The Magnetic Sky (Official Music Video) - YouTube
Becoming the Archetype - The Magnetic Sky (from Celestial Completion)
This band was a bit after my metal heyday, but I've been really impressed with what I've heard from them. Might be the best stuff on my list.

I'll post more as I encounter them, but I'm only limited a handful of youtube links per post.

Upvote 0

The Theory

May 23, 2002
Lancaster, PA
Visit site
✟2,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"technical deathcore"?

The metal scene is going to burrow itself into irrelevancy if they keep fragmenting genre names more and more like this. Yikes.

I was always more of a black metal guy, so I suspect whatever this "technical deathcore" is, I won't have any helpful suggestions for your niche. Unless Extol (Burial would be the target album) would be up your alley. Keeping in mind they're from 1998 (that album, anyway), and the production sounds like it. They've got technical moments, but they're not flashy about it:

Ah hell, I'm just going to ignore all the genre labels you're looking for and just post what I would see as some of the standouts I've encountered in my treks through more extreme music--these may not necessarily be in your normal realm, but perhaps something will stick.

This band was a bit after my metal heyday, but I've been really impressed with what I've heard from them. Might be the best stuff on my list.

I'll post more as I encounter them, but I'm only limited a handful of youtube links per post.

Upvote 0

PaxThroughX

Jan 27, 2012
America
✟8,668.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
"technical deathcore"?

Yes Extol!!! After hearing Ember I fell in love. I was litearlly listening to all their songs last night. I hope i can still order their documentary video. Good song!

You know, I heard this band before. I heared "New York City is Overrated," and it was more of a inside joke for me. Its an ok band, I may into more of their songs.

I didnt really care for their last album. However, I do enjoy their other stuff. I love their album "In the Hammering Process."

When I first heard this song I was like yes! Then it got old. This band is good, but, I personally dont like them. Maybe because if they get a real vocalist they be great.

Upvote 0

The Theory

May 23, 2002
Lancaster, PA
Visit site
✟2,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You know, I heard this band before. I heared "New York City is Overrated," and it was more of a inside joke for me. Its an ok band, I may into more of their songs.

Their two albums are really different. The first one is just this dark swarm of chaotic guitars, and screams, with all these neat flairs. The second album takes on more of a numetal approach--though without going full out that direction like they do with Demon Hunter (both bands have most of the same members).

I was going to dig up more stuff, then got stuck on Zao because, well, ZAO.

DROTTNAR - WE MARCH (OFFICIAL) - YouTube
I never really listened to these guys, but they were a name kicking when I was doing all kinds of searching for black metal. Was surprised they're still around. Guitars are much more complicated than I'm used to with black metal, taking on math aspects. The vocals are very much in that black metal realm.

Sanctifica - Epitaph - YouTube
This album always struck me as an odd outlier in Christian metal. Their first album had been full-on black metal. This one took a weird approach. It's really nice, though, if you don't mind clean vocals for the majority of it.

Virgin Black - Opera de Romanci (Stare & Embrace) - YouTube
Virgin Black is on the gothier side of life, but they make some achingly beautiful music. Each full length has its own flavor--either more focused on violins/cellos, etc, or a flat out metal assault. This album, their first, is the roughest, yet also the best mixture of their two sides.

KEKAL - Isolated I (Official Video) - YouTube
Kekal is a one man band from the Asia region of the world. So he does some weird things you wouldn't normally hear in metal. At the same time, the production on some of the stuff (especially the early albums) is brutal.

Upvote 0

PaxThroughX

Jan 27, 2012
America
✟8,668.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Their two albums are really different. The first one is just this dark swarm of chaotic guitars, and screams, with all these neat flairs. The second album takes on more of a numetal approach--though without going full out that direction like they do with Demon Hunter (both bands have most of the same members).

I was going to dig up more stuff, then got stuck on Zao because, well, ZAO.

DROTTNAR - WE MARCH (OFFICIAL) - YouTube
I never really listened to these guys, but they were a name kicking when I was doing all kinds of searching for black metal. Was surprised they're still around. Guitars are much more complicated than I'm used to with black metal, taking on math aspects. The vocals are very much in that black metal realm.

Sanctifica - Epitaph - YouTube
This album always struck me as an odd outlier in Christian metal. Their first album had been full-on black metal. This one took a weird approach. It's really nice, though, if you don't mind clean vocals for the majority of it.

Virgin Black - Opera de Romanci (Stare & Embrace) - YouTube
Virgin Black is on the gothier side of life, but they make some achingly beautiful music. Each full length has its own flavor--either more focused on violins/cellos, etc, or a flat out metal assault. This album, their first, is the roughest, yet also the best mixture of their two sides.

KEKAL - Isolated I (Official Video) - YouTube
Kekal is a one man band from the Asia region of the world. So he does some weird things you wouldn't normally hear in metal. At the same time, the production on some of the stuff (especially the early albums) is brutal.

I like all these songs. thank you. Santifica is pretty good.

Upvote 0

The Theory

May 23, 2002
Lancaster, PA
Visit site
✟2,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Since you're familiar with Extol, is it fair to assume you're also familiar with Lengsel? A couple of Extol dudes, plus another random dude, who decided to go out and release what is, for my money, one of my all-time favorite metal albums:

Lengsel - Revival - YouTube

Frenetic black metal with odd little quirks. Whenever I share this album with metal friends now, they comment on the poor production, but considering this was released in the late 90s, I think it holds up pretty well. Also, that album art is gorgeous. Lengsel has a second cd out, too, (released, perhaps, in 2006?) which eschews a lot of the black metal for more of a straight-up experimental heavy metal w/black influences type dealeo.

Antestor-Rites of Death - YouTube

My favorite Antestor material hasn't aged well with me (The Return of the Black Death), but this whole album is pretty solid. I don't think it's as good as some of the stuff I've thrown out, but it's really hard for me to have a discussion of this nature without an Antestor plug--they used to be one of my favorite black metal bands. But yeah, this song is pretty cool. And album as a whole.

Slechtvalk - Enthroned from "A Forlorn Throne" - YouTube

Slechtvalk has been knocking around the scene for years, releasing album after album for-genre-fans-only black metal. Terrible production, nice-enough, not great songs... but then something changed. Their last album or two has actually been interesting, and good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Theory

May 23, 2002
Lancaster, PA
Visit site
✟2,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Since you're familiar with Extol, is it fair to assume you're also familiar with Lengsel? A couple of Extol dudes, plus another random dude, who decided to go out and release what is, for my money, one of my all-time favorite metal albums:

Lengsel - Revival - YouTube

Frenetic black metal with odd little quirks. Whenever I share this album with metal friends now, they comment on the poor production, but considering this was released in the late 90s, I think it holds up pretty well. Also, that album art is gorgeous. Lengsel has a second cd out, too, (released, perhaps, in 2006?) which eschews a lot of the black metal for more of a straight-up experimental heavy metal w/black influences type dealeo.

Antestor-Rites of Death - YouTube

My favorite Antestor material hasn't aged well with me (The Return of the Black Death), but this whole album is pretty solid. I don't think it's as good as some of the stuff I've thrown out, but it's really hard for me to have a discussion of this nature without an Antestor plug--they used to be one of my favorite black metal bands. But yeah, this song is pretty cool. And album as a whole.

Slechtvalk - Enthroned from "A Forlorn Throne" - YouTube

Slechtvalk has been knocking around the scene for years, releasing album after album for-genre-fans-only black metal. Terrible production, nice-enough, not great songs... but then something changed. Their last album or two has actually been interesting, and good.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2013
✟15,111.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Whell, ive always considered All That Remains a Christian metal band, mainly because it has strong lyrics in connotation to Christianity, although they don't claim to be a Christian band. another good band is called Demon Hunter, and i think the name speaks for itself... in general, i think all music is acceptable if your a Christian, IF IT DOESN'T PROMOTE blasphemous messages, ridicule religion or just doesn't sound right in your head....

Upvote 0

Echolipse

Watcher and Studier
Nov 17, 2012
Florida
✟15,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You're not the only one who's had a difficult time finding good christian metal/death metal bands.

My wife found My Silent Wake a few years back, they're more doom metal. From my past research, they don't claim to be Christian, but much of their lyrics does relate to Christian history. Vocals has a good voice and a great growl.

Most metal bands I've found, I couldn't stand the sound of the vocalist.

Btw: Opeth has been one of my favorite bands for about 8 years now. Don't own and haven't heard any of their new album due to some of the lyrics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PaxThroughX

Jan 27, 2012
America
✟8,668.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
You're not the only one who's had a difficult time finding good christian metal/death metal bands.

My wife found My Silent Wake a few years back, they're more doom metal. From my past research, they don't claim to be Christian, but much of their lyrics does relate to Christian history. Vocals has a good voice and a great growl.

Most metal bands I've found, I couldn't stand the sound of the vocalist.

Btw: Opeth has been one of my favorite bands for about 8 years now. Don't own and haven't heard any of their new album due to some of the lyrics.

Isn't it sad that there is little to no christian bands (of any kind) that people have room to brag about? August Burns Red, ok yeah one of the only metalcore bands I would listen to that are great! (even though not all the members are christian) I mean really though?
I found a doom metal band called Morphia, who later I found out wasn't necessarily a "christian" band, but can tag on the title if they wish. They remind me of Opeth though, but yeah. I also am wondering when a good technical band will come out, not in metalcore! Really, this genre is over-used and should be left alone or be revived in a very different way.

I can understand why you can't listen to Opeth's new album, I can't either.

Upvote 0

Tom White

Apr 13, 2013
✟447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I want something of more of my taste similiar to the bands: born of osiris, the contortionist, the HAARP machine, animals as leaders etc. A band that is progressive metal or technical deathcore. If they are jazz influenced or experimental as well that would be awesome.

Have you tried Extol?

Each of their albums has a different sound. Their early stuff was more like black metal, then they went more progressive and added clean vocals into the mix. I personally enjoy them.

"Extol - a documentary" Teaser trailer #4 - YouTube

Upvote 0

PaxThroughX

Jan 27, 2012
America
✟8,668.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0