Haven't felt led by the Spirit much lately...

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,313.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Advise welc0med. I just am not feeling led by the Spirit very much. What can be done? I would love nothing more than to be connected with the Lord but even my prayers lately feel lacking.

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Advise welc0med. I just am not feeling led by the Spirit very much. What can be done? I would love nothing more than to be connected with the Lord but even my prayers lately feel lacking.
Since you posted this in Memorials and Grief Support, I feel I can reasonably respond, since I have felt very alone and lonely since my father’s death a little over a month ago. Even in prayer, I feel alone...but I trust that God, Who is loving and merciful beyond all understanding, is with me despite my fickle feelings. Feelings are fine, but are not a reflection of the reality of God’s grace.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,313.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I feel like I may have shrunk away or rejected the faith. It's always on my mind. It was a point in my life when I was so afraid of God and of eternal punishment that I shrunk away from faith. I can remember (only recently; I feel like I'm coming out of a fog) saying to myself in my inner dialogue that I rejected Christ because my fear was so intense. It wasn't the kind of fear we are told to have. It was the same fear demons must have, and I don't know why I was forced to endure it.

Please help. It was a point of weakness and I was exhausted battling fear in my mind.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I feel like I may have shrunk away or rejected the faith. It's always on my mind. It was a point in my life when I was so afraid of God and of eternal punishment that I shrunk away from faith. I can remember (only recently; I feel like I'm coming out of a fog) saying to myself in my inner dialogue that I rejected Christ because my fear was so intense. It wasn't the kind of fear we are told to have. It was the same fear demons must have, and I don't know why I was forced to endure it.

Please help. It was a point of weakness and I was exhausted battling fear in my mind.
Praying for you, my friend. No answers, but I understand your struggle. May God be with us both and have mercy on our souls.

• Prayers
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love

- You are being SANCTIFIED. Praise the Lord!

Philippians 1:6 And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.

- REJOICE!

Luke 10
(NIV)
17 The seventy-two returned with joy and said, “Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name.”

18 He replied, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. 19 I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you. 20 However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.”

21 At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do. 22 All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows who the Son is except the Father, and no one knows who the Father is except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.”

23 Then he turned to his disciples and said privately, “Blessed are the eyes that see what you see. 24 For I tell you that many prophets and kings wanted to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it.”

- You have been SEALED and INDWELT by the Holy Spirit!

Romans 8:1 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus...

Ephesians 1:13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit...

- Be encouraged!

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things

John 16:33 "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,292.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
2 Timothy 1:5-7 King James Version (KJV)
5 When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also.

6 Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands.

7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

So you are smoldering.
Isaiah 42:3
A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out. In faithfulness he will bring forth justice;

Just throw a log on your fire and stir the embers. :).

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I would suggest more teaching on your eternal security. Isaiah 59:19 (KJV) "When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him." By knowing the word in this area more, you can overcome. Here is just one suggestion Bob Yandian's series on "can you lose your salvation" or the "sin unto death." I would seek out more encouraging spiritual encounters too. Like maybe attending some special spiritual event, going to a men's group meeting, or even just letting someone in your church know so they can pray.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Someone hit on the key verse already, Friend Of. It's this one right here:
1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.

I'm not one to subscribe to eternal security, but I am one to believe that He will keep us as long as we truly desire to be kept by Him. The principle of 1 John 4:18 combined with "the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" is this: The fear of God is what keeps the sinner from turning away from Him, whereas the love of God is what draws you nearer and nearer to Him, until you are eventually so close to Him that you no longer have need to fear.

So the fear of God is not meant to draw you closer to Him. It is meant to cause you to turn from sin. What draws you closer to Him is time in His word, and in prayer, and in worship, and in good fellowship in the Spirit. There are verses for all of these. His word IS Spirit and Life; He INHABITS the praises of His people, etc. So give yourself to these practices, and you will find yourself beginning to fear less and be filled with faith more and more. :)

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThePool

Nov 9, 2018
Amarillo, TX.
✟15,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Get out and take a walk. Being outdoors really helps. Gen 24:63 Isaac went out to meditate in the field toward evening. BTW I lost my dad in Feb. 2018.

• Prayers
Upvote 0