dfgdfsgdf
✟58,992.00
Country
Cambodia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is warm feeling of God's perence in your life, holy presence, makes your whole life holy past and future and makes you righteous, while you have it you are righteous and can be saved, then it is permanent.

Upvote 0

adderbolt

Mar 13, 2021
Cuyahoga County
✟56,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Divorced
It's not one-size-fits-all. We are all unique so our gracious Lord approaches us all in different ways. In other words he gives us what we need now and possibly for in the future. Some people see lights; some have an out of body experience; some don't remember as they were so young. Faith and a warm feeling are not unusual neither is the need to find a church or brothers and sisters in Christ.

Upvote 0

PeterJames0510

Blessed more than I deserve
Jan 28, 2019
Lee
✟65,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I received the Holy Spirit at salvation which was an exciting time for me. However, I have not received what is sometimes coined "the second blessing" or "baptism of the Holy Spirit".

If I understand the Scriptures correctly, there is only One Baptism (Ephesians 4:5) which is the complete immersion in the death and life of Jesus Christ (Romans 6) of which water baptism is only a shadow of. The baptism of the Holy Spirit, at Pentecost, becomes our reality in Romans 6.

• Agree
Reactions: 1watchman
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Have received the Holy Spirity?
What was the experience like?

Yes.

At the moment of my conversion, I felt great joy.

Day by day, however, my experience of the Holy Spirit is just as the Bible says it will be. He convicts me of sin (John 14:8); he teaches me God's truth (John 14:26; 1 Corinthians 2:9-14); he strengthens me in times of temptation and trial (Ephesians 3:16; Romans 8:13); he transforms my desires and thinking and conduct (Philippians 2:13; Galatians 5:22-23) and disciplines me (Hebrews 12:5-11).

This is what God says to us in His word is the common, even daily, experience of the child of God, indwelt by His Spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟884,140.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As we are saved we receive the Holy Spirit. What's referred to as the "baptism of the Holy Spirit" I'm not sure. I'm not even sure it exists. I have more experienced degrees of being filled.

As a new Christian I was searching "outward expressions", but now I more just seek the love of Jesus, to feel grounded in faith.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I don't know. There was a time when I felt a connection with God, like he was talking to me, showing me signs and such. But now I'm not so sure. I struggle to know if there's a difference between what could be God talking to me or just my own thoughts telling me what I think God might say. I want to receive the Holy Spirit. You refer to it as an experience and you're getting responses describing it as such, so I guess I would know if I've recieved it. And since I don't know, maybe I haven't. I'd appreciate any short prayers from folks here to send the Holy Spirity my way.

(anyone else having trouble typing a response on this site without something wierd happening - cursor disappears and I have to reestablish my place of typing, page arbitrarily scrolls to the bottom? someone please say so if you're not so I know it's something on my end and not the site)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

How do we know ???

The Holy Spirit is the third person of the Godhead, referred to as the Trinity. He is the One who guides us into a closer walk with Christ.

The Holy Spirit is fully God, more than an influence or a force. He has the personhood and mind of God, and performs a special duty to help us connect with God the Father. The Spirit also guides us in our lives.

He was sent by Christ as the personal presence of God for those dwelling on earth. When received, the Spirit will transform your life to reflect Jesus Christ.

If one is being transformed becoming more Christ-like the Holy Spirit is working in them changing their thinking and actions ... as they live out their earthly lifetime.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Holy Spirit for me is not an experience. I do feel promptings from the Holy Spirit to witness (talk about Jesus) etc, but I don't feel anything. However I did have one "experience" in my early years, that may have been the Holy Spirit, I felt surges of great power flow through me like an electrical current.

Upvote 0

Jay Sea

................ Ke ĉiuj vivu
Mar 28, 2020
victoria
✟26,347.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Spirit move where He/She wills. Why did the Roman Soldier come to Yeshua or the woman with the issue of Blood?
The Spirit is everywhere and at our shoulder whispering love: waiting for us to Welcome Him/Her into our Hearts.
In Love
Jay Sea

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I received the Holy Spirit at salvation which was an exciting time for me. However, I have not received what is sometimes coined "the second blessing" or "baptism of the Holy Spirit".

If I understand the Scriptures correctly, there is only One Baptism (Ephesians 4:5) which is the complete immersion in the death and life of Jesus Christ (Romans 6) of which water baptism is only a shadow of. The baptism of the Holy Spirit, at Pentecost, becomes our reality in Romans 6.

Yes, when one receives the Lord Jesus into their heart, they receive the "sealing" of God by the indwelling Holy Spirit ---becoming a "child of God" (which might even be done on our death bed). No one can break that seal! One might be carnal (worldly) and go after things to please the flesh and disregard our God; which will likely bring down consequences from God in the flesh (as any Father might do to disobedient children).

The idea that water baptism saves a soul is the deceit of Satan to try showing that works can save one. Baptism in water is ONLY a public testimony of one taking a stand for the Lord against the unbelieving world ---which pleases the Father. "Baptism (overwhelming) of the Spirit" is another way to speaking of being "born again" ---which is ONLY a spiritual work by God (and NOT a ref. to water). I hope this scriptural view might help some readers here too.

Upvote 0

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟716,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I recieved the Holy spirit in my 20s and it was an awesome experience,I spoke in tongues and it was the happiest day ever.I was filled with such a joy that day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

For the majority of Christians throughout history the experience involved getting wet.

Baptism-1024x719.jpg

But many Christians today, myself included, had their baptism postponed until later in life (I grew up in a church tradition that rejected the historic Christian teaching and practice on Baptism); but we shouldn't think that being deprived of the Sacrament means a deprivation of the Spirit--the Spirit is Himself very much active and present through the Word, and thus where the Word is preached, and faith happens, so the Spirit is present.

Thus St. Paul can say to the Ephesians that they were sealed with the Holy Spirit through the power of the Word (Ephesians 1:13). It's the same Word that is received in and with the water of Baptism (Ephesians 5:26) so it's not a question of Word or Sacrament; but it is always Word and Sacrament. So even if the ordinary order of things goes wonky, it doesn't matter--it's still God's work, it's still what God accomplishes for us by His grace.

So regardless of the order, it's the same working of God, through Word and Sacrament; whereby the one who is born of God, is made new in Jesus, has received the Holy Spirit. For it is impossible to believe in Christ without the power of the Holy Spirit working and creating faith in us, "No one can say 'Jesus is Lord' except by the Holy Spirit" (1 Corinthians 12:3).

Those who insist that receiving the Spirit is some kind of interior, special experience; or who think we need to try and recreate the historical event of Pentecost over and over are simply putting on theater and are preaching false things which threatens to shipwreck the faith of many.

The Holy Spirit is in and with us, the evidence of this is that we believe in Christ. It is the Spirit who opens our ears to hear the Word, and grants faith to our hearts to believe it.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟393,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
My experiences have ranged from the very subtle to feeling struck by lightning. Never fear, but awe, wonder, and authority beyond any human being I have ever met, and I've met some really powerful and sharp people in my time. Nothing compares. I've been comforted, assured, put at peace, energized, and totally led by someone far, far beyond my own abilities. Nothing magical at my salvation, but a warm feeling in the heart as others described, but since then, I've had a rather broad range of illuminations at times.

Upvote 0