Have you read the C. S. Lewis SciFi trilogy.

Greatcloud

May 3, 2007
Oregon coast
✟48,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The books he wrote, I call them the best scifi trilogy ever written. That hideous strength was different from the other two,but it was also the most true to life. Out of the silent planet was just breathtaking in scope and very thought provoking. My favorite of all of them is without question Paralandra,it is so beautiful. It is here that Lewis lets his imagination really run wild. If you want to introduce someone to the field of science fiction, I suggest this one book from the trilogy. What do you think about the name of the character being Ransom ?

:cool:

Lisa0315

Respect Catholics and the Mother Church!
Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The books he wrote, I call them the best scifi trilogy ever written. That hideous strength was different from the other two,but it was also the most true to life. Out of the silent planet was just breathtaking in scope and very thought provoking. My favorite of all of them is without question Paralandra,it is so beautiful. It is here that Lewis lets his imagination really run wild. If you want to introduce someone to the field of science fiction, I suggest this one book from the trilogy. What do you think about the name of the character being Ransom ?

:cool:

I didn't think much of the name Ransom until the second book when he realized that if he did not kill the bad guy, then, God would have to save Perelandra, and it would be even more extreme, brutal, and intense than when Jesus saved us. I remember getting the shivers when the voice tells Ransom, "My name is also Ransom" (or something to that effect)

Lisa

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Respect Catholics and the Mother Church!
Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The third one (That Hideous Strength) is currently the only CS Lewis I own. Narnia is on the to buy list though.

JM

Well, I strongly recommend the other two as well as The Narnia Chronicles. The Screwtape Letters was amusing as well. I just finished Til We Have Faces. I haven't read anything that I didn't like by him. I also read his Mere Christianity, also good.

Lisa

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I read them, I barely remember them, which says it all. As Science Fiction they are rather weak. Still probably better than any other Christian Science Fiction Out there.

Actually come to think of it they really fit better as Fantasy.

I'd reccoment at least a half dozen of his other books over the space trilogy (not counting Narnia).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

catzetier

Jul 29, 2011
✟7,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've read the trilogy. I loved Out of the Silent Planet and it's the only one I own. Perelandra bored me - I liked the descriptions of the planet but not much else; if I want a rejig of Eden I'll take Lewis' The Magician's Nephew any day. The only bits I liked in That Hideous Strength were Merlin and that bear, mainly because they made me laugh; the rest was really brutal and it didn't even have the wonderful alien aspect that partially redeemed Perelandra.

I find that OOTSP works as a stand-alone. Luckily.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I've read the trilogy. I loved Out of the Silent Planet and it's the only one I own. Perelandra bored me - I liked the descriptions of the planet but not much else; if I want a rejig of Eden I'll take Lewis' The Magician's Nephew any day. The only bits I liked in That Hideous Strength were Merlin and that bear, mainly because they made me laugh; the rest was really brutal and it didn't even have the wonderful alien aspect that partially redeemed Perelandra.

I find that OOTSP works as a stand-alone. Luckily.

It has been so long I barely have memories of memories of these. But I recall something Lewis mentioned regarding groups that were teh models for 'That Hideous Strength'. Some of the bad guys were not based on the Nazis or any similar guess. It was the "Black and Tans" that were the model. Note that Lewis was a Protestant so they were nominally on his side. In some ways that serves to redeem 'That Hideous Strength a bit got me.

Upvote 0