Have you ever wondered why Jesus' presence is veiled in the Eucharist?

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My thought is that the veil of the holy Eucharist mystically represents Jesus Christ's time he spent in the tomb. And just the other day, I discovered a Catholic saint who also thinks that about it but who can explain it better than I can:

“How is it that our Lord is so little loved in the Eucharist? How many never pay a visit of devotion to the Most Blessed Sacrament, to speak with him from the heart, to tell him their love? They do not because they ignore or do not sufficiently look into the sacrifices made by his love for our sake. There is no sacrifice without the death of a victim. In this state of death Jesus is without beauty, motion, or defense. He is wrapped in the sacred Species as in a shroud and laid in the tabernacle as in a tomb. He sees everything and hears everything. He submits to everything as though he were dead. His love casts a veil over his power—his glory, his hands, his feet, his beautiful face—it has hidden everything. It has left him only his heart to love us and His state of victim to intercede in our behalf. At the sight of so much love, the Devil appears triumphant, he mocks Jesus: 'I give man nothing that is true, good, or beautiful,' he says, 'and yet I am more loved, more obeyed, and better served.' The Eucharist is the life of souls and of societies, just as the sun is the life of the body and of the earth. The sun obeys a supreme Son, the Divine Word Jesus Christ who illumines everyone coming into this world, and who, through the Eucharist, acts in the very depths of souls to form Christian families and peoples. Oh how happy is the faithful soul who has found this hidden treasure, who goes to drink at this fountain of living water, who eats often this Bread of eternal life!” - St. Peter Julian Eymard, as represented in EWTN's The Saints Speak video

Risen_Christ_in_Blessed_Sacrament.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Michie