Have you ever suffered a Spiritual Paralysis?

Have you ever suffered a spiritual paralysis?

• Total voters

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't mind you saying it at all. But, it's not the case. I also pray as you do...
but...

I don't leave out the prayers we are to say together. It's called the Liturgical cycle. They are teaching tools that offer grace and preparation of the heart. It all centers on the taking of communion. It's Christ's way of bringing us together and caring for one another.

It's not up to us to leave these things off. In truth, we cannot be a Christian by ourselves.

Forgive me...
Thank you for saying so
I understand
However, some say these prayers by rote and their hearts and their minds are detached

May that never be

Reactions: OrthodoxyUSA
Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't mind you saying it at all. But, it's not the case. I also pray as you do...
but...

I don't leave out the prayers we are to say together. It's called the Liturgical cycle. They are teaching tools that offer grace and preparation of the heart. It all centers on the taking of communion. It's Christ's way of bringing us together and caring for one another.

It's not up to us to leave these things off. In truth, we cannot be a Christian by ourselves. We must seek out that community and reach to heaven as we have learned from these common prayers in it's absence.

Forgive me...
And what a profound thing to say:
We can't be Christian by ourselves

You are right!

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for saying so
I understand
However, some say these prayers by rote and their hearts and their minds are detached

May that never be

Did you happen to listen to any of those youtube posts? How can anyone be detached when it's the Psalms?

I think you would be lost in love inside Orthodox Christian services.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did you happen to listen to any of those youtube posts? How can anyone be detached when it's the Psalms?

Forgive me...
You may very well be right
But I am lost and found amongst those who love THE LORD

Which is why I can't stop talking about HIM

And which is why I pray all would know HIM

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Forgive me...
And yes of course I listened to it
Sometimes I'm afraid of my senses because I don't want to rely too heavily on how I emotionally feel

I don't want anything to stand in the way or interfere or become more important than just THE LORD

I know through the dark night of the soul that HE is there no matter how I feel

If I don't feel HIS PRESENCE as profoundly as I had from the beginning, HE is there

HE just is showing us that we have to walk by faith

Not by sight
Not based on how we feel, what we see, what we hear., what the circumstances are

Based on and in THE PERSON of JESUS CHRIST

That's mature faith
And now I am at rest (I think)
In all the storms of life, HE will not leave us though HE may feel (by our lower carnal senses) far away

HE is with us and HE will never forsake us

So now
As I said, I lay my requests before HIM and go about my day

That I believe is my prayer
My life, my needs, my requests laid before HIM trusting that what I have no control over, HE does

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You are most certainly correct for wanting to be in control of your emotions.

The Psalms are often called "The Rudder". They are to be repeated daily for that very purpose.

These are the prayers of Christ and the Apostles. They are for you.

For instance Psalm 50 (51) is used several times a day by Orthodox Christians.

Have mercy on me, O God, according to Thy steadfast love; according to Thy abundant mercy, blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin!
For I know my transgressions and my sin is ever before me.
Against Thee, Thee only, have I sinned, and done that which is evil in Thy sight, so that Thou art justified in Thy sentence and blameless in Thy judgment.
Behold! I was brought forth in iniquity and in sin did my mother conceive me.
Behold! Thou desirest truth in the inward being; therefore teach me wisdom in my secret heart.
Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Fill me with joy and gladness; let the bones which Thou hast broken rejoice.
Hide Thy face from my sins and blot out all my iniquities.
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and put a new and right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from Thy presence and take not Thy Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of Thy salvation and uphold me with a willing Spirit.
Then I will teach transgressors Thy ways and sinners will return to Thee.
Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, Thou God of my salvation, and my tongue will sing aloud of Thy deliverance.
O Lord, open Thou my lips, and my mouth shall show forth Thy praise.
For Thou hast no delight in sacrifice; were I to give a burnt offering, Thou wouldst not be pleased.
The sacrifice acceptable to God is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, Thou wilt not despise.
Do good to Zion in Thy good pleasure; rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.
Then wilt Thou delight in right sacrifices, in burnt offerings and whole burnt offerings; then bulls will be offered on Thy altar.

They are not to be discarded just because we don't think we need them.
Forgive me...

Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The Psalms are often called "The Rudder". They are to be repeated daily for that very purpose.

Have mercy on me, O God, according to Thy steadfast love; according to Thy abundant mercy, blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin!
Against Thee, Thee only, have I sinned, and done that which is evil in Thy sight, so that Thou art justified in Thy sentence and blameless in Thy judgment.
Behold! Thou desirest truth in the inward being; therefore teach me wisdom in my secret heart.
Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, Thou God of my salvation, and my tongue will sing aloud of Thy deliverance.
For Thou hast no delight in sacrifice; were I to give a burnt offering, Thou wouldst not be pleased.
The sacrifice acceptable to God is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, Thou wilt not despise.
Then wilt Thou delight in right sacrifices, in burnt offerings and whole burnt offerings; then bulls will be offered on Thy altar.

Forgive me...
Oh we need them, that's for sure!
We need all HIS WORDS

They are life to our bones

And I say bones because there is no substance in us apart from HIM

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,150.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
If you're truly predestined though... right?

My dad is Presbyterian, my mom is Baptist... I was confused. :)

Forgive me...
I was raised Baptist and then converted at one of those wild Wesleyan-Methodist-Pentecostal type revivals. God be merciful to me a sinner!

I was really confused as well until a minister explained to me that the only difference between the Baptist and the Methodist were that the Baptist didn't believe in backsliding but the Methodist practiced it!

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,150.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single

Forgive me...

Wonderful selection of scripture! I believe it is helpful to rehearse scripture in ones prayers while going before God the Father in need!

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,150.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
In the video below is a story of a man who was told he only had a few days to live. What he did was told his sons to get him out of there and purchase all the videos they could get on Jerry Lewis and the Marx Brothers.

And he laughed, and laughed, and laughed... And he laughed himself well!

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones. - Proverbs 17:22

I cannot say that humor will be a cure, but I believe it is a help!

Upvote 0

frettr00

Finding peace where I am
Aug 10, 2004
✟38,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I have spoken to several priests but I find no light at the end of the tunnel. One told me that I love sin more than I love Jesus!!!!

Others have been really caring I guess.

I used to think that way, that I would never overcome my mortal sins. I was a inappropriate contentography user for about 15 years (started at 12 years old) before I finally stopped. I credit God for that because the desire for it just left me overnight.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I used to think that way, that I would never overcome my mortal sins. I was a inappropriate contentography user for about 15 years (started at 12 years old) before I finally stopped. I credit God for that because the desire for it just left me overnight.

Wonderful testimony!

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
When I was a younger man, I struggled with feeling secure in God's love for me. I felt I could not hold onto Christ. I tried and tried, but my grip would weaken.

A friend, trying to be helpful, told me that as I was holding onto Christ, He was holding onto me. That gave me sporadic and temporary relief from my struggles and anxiety, but it wasn't until I came across Reformed theology that I found a Savior who had me in mind before I was even born, and He wasn't asking me to cling to Him. He picked me up in His arms and carried me. . .

"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

Reactions: miknik5
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Have you ever suffered a Spiritual Paralysis? A time when you could not pray?
Forgive me...
So this past Wednesday I almost died again. Thursday found me crying uncontrollably without the ability to pray.
Have you been to the edge and looked down?
Forgive me...
Sorry to hear about that dear friend. Almost dying can be very traumatic event, even for most devout Christians.
I have been to the edge [and almost wanted to leap in], but not knowing what was waiting at the end, I made a gradual recovery with the help of family and friends and internet resources on prayer. and praying.
This commentary on "The Lord's Prayer" was very enlightening if you or others are interested:

Kindgdom Bible Studies To Be the Lord's Prayer Part 1

The subject of prayer is one of universal interest. No one is able to answer all the questions that might be asked concerning it, but the instinct of prayer is so deep-seated in the human psyche that all men pray at one time or another, consciously, sub-consciously, or un-consciously. Prayers differ in scope and quality, according to the spiritual experience of those who pray.
During World War II reports circulated from the front lines indicated that there were no atheists in the foxholes. Passengers on a hijacked plane, campers whose camp is invaded at night by plundering and pillaging bears, office workers stranded on an elevator by a power failure, parents pacing the hospital corridor outside the operating room, business men eager for an important contract to be theirs—all these people resort to prayer.
When we come to the end of ourselves, when life piles up problems beyond our ability to cope, when crisis strikes our hearts with fear and terror’ we do not hesitate to pray. After all, what else can we do?...............
If we fall down, we get up! We all betray God.
Do you have a spiritual father to discuss adultery with?
In truth there is only two ways.... towards God or away from God.
Just make sure your end sees you facing the right direction.

Forgive me...
:oldthumbsup: :amen:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"OrthodoxyUSA" we do believe a tad different. What is it you seek? What do you want? I am not the way the truth nor the life. What I personally believe is not the 100% pure true gospel. No one group has this. There are many tents.. only one camp. I said more but.. deleted it.

For me..when I can not pray.. the sweet sweet Holy Spirit prays.. I pray in the spirit. As with John 3:16.. I did the same with another verse. I just asked the Father for what JESUS told me to ask for. And the Father keep His word as He always does. There are times sleeping when I want to walk up but cant.. or when I can not say the name of Jesus.. and when that happens is not from God. Not the same I think as you are talking about.

Your heart.. what is it yous seek..what is it you want? A man came to Jesus.. said.. I know you can.. but I dont know if you want to. HE said.. I do want to. Was that really 2 thousands years ago or just two days ago to Him? He has not change. He loves you as you know SO MUCH. And has never left you. Right now.. HE IS THERE! What is it you seek?

So.. if I have in any way offended.. forgive me. Yeshua/Jesus is real. Forgive me.. I never found HIM.. He found me. And it was not from some man or some group. I follow HIM. I dont look to HIM through any mans eyes. Bless you..JESUS IS SO REAL!

Last edited:
Upvote 0