ukok

Freaked out, insecure, neurotic and Emotional
Mar 1, 2003
England
Visit site
✟19,706.00
Faith
Catholic
Can you believe it...I actually forgot the act of Contrition at Confession this afternoon...I mumbled something about how truly sorry I was for all my sins and Fr. had a bit of a giggle with me about it, but i feel a complete BERK!

to make matters worse, one of the sins i confessed was that my mind had wandered at Mass recently! (YES, I do have the book by that same title...look how much good it did (j/k) !!!)

God Bless.

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
ukok said:
Can you believe it...I actually forgot the act of Contrition at Confession this afternoon...I mumbled something about how truly sorry I was for all my sins and Fr. had a bit of a giggle with me about it, but i feel a complete BERK!

to make matters worse, one of the sins i confessed was that my mind had wandered at Mass recently! (YES, I do have the book by that same title...look how much good it did (j/k) !!!)

God Bless.
:D

Hey at least you made it to confession. You're dong better than me. :p

What is a berk?

Michelle

Upvote 0

NDIrish

Senior Veteran
Oct 8, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟13,979.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Yes, I have done that. It's the funniest thing, the thoughts that run through your head:

"Oh, NO WAY! I didn't just forget my act of contrition!!!!!

OK, stay calm. What's the first word? After the first word comes out, I'll remember the rest...

the first word...

Oh my....

*argh*

Oh my...

OH MY GOSH, I can't believe I forgot my act of contrition!"

Upvote 0

HappyMomof4

Thank You Jesus!
Aug 9, 2004
✟9,453.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Steph said:
One time I went to confession and was really nervous. The priest told me three hail Mary's for a penance... umm, I came out, and completely forgot the Hail Mary... :doh: And yes, I really did know the prayer! ;)

I did that too once recently. I felt like an idiot! There was a group of ladies singing in the other room and I couldn't focus on my prayers, plus my little son kept asking me questions. I think I actually started the Hail Mary and ended up with the Lord's Prayer. :doh:

Upvote 0

NDIrish

Senior Veteran
Oct 8, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟13,979.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
happymomof3 said:
There was a group of ladies singing in the other room and I couldn't focus on my prayers, plus my little son kept asking me questions. I think I actually started the Hail Mary and ended up with the Lord's Prayer. :doh:

I'm glad I'm not the only one this has happened to!

Upvote 0

krstlros

Currently Under Construction
Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2004
Within the arms of God
✟52,810.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
ukok said:

God Bless.
It's called a "Brain Fart". Happens to the best of us.

Last time I went to Reconciliation, I had verything set in my mind of what I was to say to my Priest, and when it got to be my turn, my mind just went totally blank. :scratch: "Brain Fart".

Upvote 0

Paul S

Salve, regina, mater misericordiæ
Sep 12, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟17,194.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
churl said:
For me, I had a time when my mind was wandering during mass and at communion when I recieved the host instead of saying "Amen" - I said "Thank you".

I'm sure God understands. :)

I always forget to say "Amen" whenever I attend the new Mass, since at the TLM, the priest says it for you. And I can't really say it once Jesus has already been placed on my tongue. But the priest gives me Communion anyway. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faerieevaH

lucky wife
Dec 27, 2003
USA
✟28,950.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
NDIrish said:

Yes, I have done that. It's the funniest thing, the thoughts that run through your head:

OK, stay calm. What's the first word? After the first word comes out, I'll remember the rest...

the first word...

Oh my....

*argh*

Oh my...

I can top you all... *blush* I went to confession in Saint Peters when I was in Rome. There was only one little problem. The nice priest who took confession in the English language boot did not speak that great English and had a heavy accent. I stumbled myself all through a 'sort of version' of the Act of Contrition, because well... I know it in Dutch. Still... the priest seemed nice and patient. I went through the list of my sins, he spoke his council and my pennance... which I did my best to follow. And then... :blush: I was trying to exit the confessional. And the priest says: "wait ma'am... I still have to give you absolution!"

:sorry: :blush:

Upvote 0

Paul S

Salve, regina, mater misericordiæ
Sep 12, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟17,194.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My parish was originally for the German immigrants who lived nearby, but eventually as people moved, switched to English. There's a story that one guy asked the pastor if he was hearing confessions in German, and the pastor replied, "Why, did you commit the sins in German?"

Upvote 0

ukok

Freaked out, insecure, neurotic and Emotional
Mar 1, 2003
England
Visit site
✟19,706.00
Faith
Catholic
NDIrish said:

the first word...

Oh my....

*argh*

Oh my...

That is so accurate! I was hoping Fr. Peter would say"...Oh, my God"..not because he was despariring with me but because they are the first three words of the Act of Contrition that I often use....but he didn't say that..he said "i'm sure you mean to say..because he is so good you are very sorry that you've sinned against him, yes?"

then I said "Yes, Fr....I'm truly sorry for all my sins..."

:doh:

But you know what..i felt a complete fool and then when i went into church i was so flustered that I didn't do my penance until after the stations of the cross had finished before Mass..I usually do the stations on Fridays and I joined in as soon as I got back to the pew..then about half way through i thought "ooops!"

But then, later, after completing the Stations of the cross, when I had done my penance before Mass began..Mass began and then Fr. had to leave for a moment...he had forgotten the large Sacred Host (i'm sure theres a special name but it eludes me now!)..and he promptly returned with it and placed it on the paten (?) before continuing Mass...and to be honest, I then felt a little more human :)

God Bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ukok said:

God Bless.
You are not alone...I believe we all have done this or something similar to it...LOL :)

I carry the Act of Contrition prayer with me...inside the confession room... and even then...I stumble out with the prayer...I really need to improve in this area...I'm praying...:crosseo:

God's Peace,

D'Ann

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.