Have you ever been rejected by a church?

Hockey_Fan

Man of Mystery
Jan 3, 2009
✟9,002.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Just wondering if anyone here has had an experience where they visited a church and were told they weren't wanted, either overtly or otherwise.

It has happened to me and I'm not really sure why. Maybe it's because I am single. Some churches are so family-oriented that they are hostile toward those who are single.

Maybe in some cases it can be because of dress or hair style (although mine is pretty average).

Whatever the reason, rejection hurts. How did you deal with that experience? Did you feel like God rejected you, too?

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just wondering if anyone here has had an experience where they visited a church and were told they weren't wanted, either overtly or otherwise.

It has happened to me and I'm not really sure why. Maybe it's because I am single. Some churches are so family-oriented that they are hostile toward those who are single.

Maybe in some cases it can be because of dress or hair style (although mine is pretty average).

Whatever the reason, rejection hurts. How did you deal with that experience? Did you feel like God rejected you, too?

Can you be specific about your experience? That might help people better understand where you are coming from.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Metal Minister

New Year, Still Old School!
May 8, 2012
✟29,999.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Ouch, I've been there, though in a different way. The church I was attending shunned my wife and I (she was my fiance' at the time) because she became pregnant before we were married. (Even had the pastor pray that God would have her miscarry our baby!) You're right, it does hurt, very badly. I wouldn't take too much stock in the people though. We're all flawed, because we're all sinful human beings. You'll find the right church for you, just let God do the guiding, and you'll be ok! Blessings! :)

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well- I was shunned by people I knew quite well (even vacationed with them, went on a missions trip with them, and went to church camp with them for years on end) when I chose to leave a church. These people acted like they didn't know who I was or could even remember my name when I went back to go to a wedding, and also when I encountered a group from that church when my husband and I went out to eat once. I grew up in that church.

1) Questioning or correcting wrong information being given didn't make me overly popular with the youth ministers and Sunday School teachers. Some were nicer than others, but I got snapped at a couple of times.

I was even publicly shamed in a young adult Sunday School class for not being engaged (at 19)- one couple defended me and left the church over that level of crazy condemnation. Some other examples- like wanting an actual bible study in a Sunday School class was always ignored for whatever lame curriculum was being pushed, such as Dobson videos, or how to evangelize (with Way of the Master and Jack Chick). Bringing up that evangelization was pointless if we didn't know the scriptures or what made one a Christian wasn't taken well. Questioning certain things taught such as the miracle at Canaan was with grape juice and not wine, and asking that, "If 'the initial evidence of the baptism of the Holy Spirit is speaking in tongues' then doesn't that mean people who don't speak in tongues are going to hell because they don't have the Holy Spirit?", and questioning the rapture doctrine, and questioning the abject crazy stuff like falling out, and not wanting to burn books and CDs or even wanting to watch others do so, and not wanting to constantly have to go up for altar calls to have judgmental people lay hands on me and feeling pressure to exhibit tongues or whatnot to please their expectations, or watching and verbally disagreeing with numerous pastor personality cults- was just not tolerated well.

2) My parents weren't tolerated well either. They were teachers and were looked on with suspicion. The pastor even told my dad that he made a mistake by asking him to pray once. They had a deacon's board meeting about what to do about my mother's outspoken ways in Sunday School. The only reason my family was tolerated was due to my grandfather being a well-known and respected minister within the denomination- but when he died the tolerance ended.

2) I was flat out told by the pastor that I was compromising my faith and going to hell for majoring in Anthropology and that if I didn't change my ways in that area, I could expect it. This feeling was reinforced by my alleged best-friend who went to church and school with me until college.

3) I was never popular amongst my peer group at church anyway. While the groups of girls went chasing after all of the boys- I'd have a novel or my homework by my side. The result was that I was always made fun of behind my back and even bullied on occasion. But hey- I finished college- where the ringleaders of that crew generally didn't. I had about two actual friends in church who also went to school with me- but I began distancing myself when they started telling kids at school they were going to hell for fill-in-the-blank reasons. In one case, I intentionally befriended this guy when they told him he was going to hell. What they were doing was just wrong.

4) Then I went to a Southern Baptist church with my husband (we got married there)- and no one made an effort to get to know us in any capacity (and we went there for around two years)- so we just kind of left and never came back.

I did not deal with my myriad of negative experiences well (and what I described to you wasn't even a drop in the bucket). Overall- I became very bitter and angry. We went to a mega-church for a while, but we didn't like it. So- we left Christianity for a few years. I wanted nothing to do with any of that. I did feel like I was rejected by God. I called myself a deist for a while- and explicitly rejected the label Christian. I even wrote a de-convesion testimony on a website for former Christians.

Thus began a couple of years of angst, searching, etcetera. My one blog post here details the story from there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
(snip)

Not very strongly. Well, at least not usually among churches I only visited. I was made to feel uncomfortable a few times, I suppose based on how I dressed or maybe my apparent income level. It actually didn't bother me too much, and I never blamed God for that.

Oh, I do remember one that made me feel strange. I visited a new church, about 80 or 100 members, so I was noticeable I'm sure. They had a very LONG meet and greet at the beginning of the service, about 20 minutes, when everyone went around, shook hands, chatted, hugged, and all that. Not a single person spoke to me the entire time, and no one welcomed me at all. It made me extremely uncomfortable, and I didn't want to go back to that church after that. I still have no idea if it was something about me that made them act that way.

There were two churches I attended long term where something happened.

One I had begun to learn things that didn't square with the denomination, and it gradually became clear I couldn't stay. It's odd, because in that particular church, I'd always felt rejected on a personal level by the pastor. I once asked him a history question (he had a master's or doctorate in some kind of history) and it took him months to answer me, and he always seemed disdainful of me somehow and refused to allow me to have an additional Bible study my older students were asking for. The problems with the denominational beliefs didn't come in until after all the rest, so it wasn't that. But God made it plain to me that I would need to leave.

Another situation involved a woman in church leadership who hired me for a job, then kept "forgetting" to pay me and making excuses, lying to me, and even blaming me for checks that were supposedly lost in the mail. We really needed the income as my husband had been laid off, and I worked for her for almost a year and had been paid for only a few months. I finally spoke to church leadership (who were her parents), and eventually got paid, nearly two years later. But it really soured many of the relationships at that small family church for me, and at times I'd be ignored by them around town and such. I didn't blame God for that, but I was unable to worship under the woman's leadership (she was the church worship leader). It did leave a bad taste in my mouth, but I do understand that we all have weaknesses and failings, and I tried very hard not to be judgmental about it.

There was one other situation ... I went to a church and the people were fine, the church was fairly ok, and on the way out I got the very strong impression "you aren't needed here". I still have no idea why I felt that way. But there were a few little things about the church's beliefs that didn't sit exactly right with me, so I just kept looking. That may or even may not have been God, what an odd thing for Him to say? But I didn't feel rejected by Him on that one either.

I really, really want to stress ... people fail, in many ways and for many reasons. Christians fail one another too. I understand why it feels like "God" but please don't ever feel as though God rejected you, treated you badly, or whatever based on what people do - even God's people. I see it happen so much, and the ones that get hurt are the ones that suffer for it, since God is the only one that can make it right.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Being born and raised in Utah, most if not all of your friends tend to be Mormon. Eventually I was invited to go to Mutual. A midweek youth group type of thing. After attending a few times and really enjoying myself I was asked if I wanted to take lessons on the LDS faith by Mormon missionaries coming to my house for a series of weeks. After completing the course I was asked if I wanted to get baptized. I declined and not only was I not invited to Mutual anymore none of my previous LDS friends wanted to hang out with me anymore.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟393,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
My interactions with the congregation of a Church has never had much influence on my relationship with Jesus. I'm not big on rules and rituals - just faith.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
We--my mom, dad, myself, and my younger brother--were effectively excommunicated by our, at the time, church (was also my mom's childhood church). It was a local non-denominational "Bible Church" (their definition). One of the elders accused my mother and his wife of being in a same sex relationship in order so that he could divorce his wife and marry his mistress without losing his "station" in the church.

So my mom was summoned before the board of elders, told she had to repent or be expelled from the church; to try and avoid needless pain for us kids and my dad she chose to "repent" but was told she had to go and confess this before the entire congregation (about 700-1,000 people at the time). She refused to do that, so she was told she was no longer welcome; and so we were all cut loose. It also meant a loss of virtually every friendship my parents had with everyone else in town (small town).

I think it's safe to say that it's probably one of the more important forces that have helped to shape me, seeing what my mom went through, the ostracizing that went on, and my solid conviction today that such behavior is simply and uncompromisingly unacceptable of a church. The Church must be a place of welcome and relief or else it has failed entirely.

St. Augustine said the Church is a hospital for sinners.

It is not, and never can be, a social club for "saints".

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Hockey_Fan said:
Just wondering if anyone here has had an experience where they visited a church and were told they weren't wanted, either overtly or otherwise. It has happened to me and I'm not really sure why. Maybe it's because I am single. Some churches are so family-oriented that they are hostile toward those who are single. Maybe in some cases it can be because of dress or hair style (although mine is pretty average). Whatever the reason, rejection hurts. How did you deal with that experience? Did you feel like God rejected you, too?
Sounds like they've rejected God, rather than God rejecting you.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes. My wife and I were teaching a class at a Church of Christ in the late "80's when the Elders told us we had to quit referring to the Holy Spirit as, "He", or leave.

We left.

Wherer you suppose to say "it" referring to the Bible?

Sorry this happened to you.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have had stuff thrown at me at age ten, when my baby sitter took me to church with her. A couple of old ladies saw me out in a waiting area with the sermon onscreen rather than actually attending and asked me if I believed in god. I said I don't know, and in response, they cursed at me, calling me a harlot who would burn forever, and one threw a pen at me. They yelled at me to leave, but another adult intervened. suffice to say I was never taken there again.

Upvote 0

doomsayer2

But in a good way...
Sep 7, 2013
Atlanta,Ga.
✟16,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure i've ever been officially rejected by one,at least not openly.:confused:
But i have rejected several of THEM myself. God's Spirit "told" me that it was THEY who were not worthy of my presence there,period. I mean why would you want to "join" a group of people who feel they are above any help you could possibly provide in a spiritual sense.
Then again,I wouldn't mind being told in some way i didn't belong at a church,which would erase any doubts i may have had. But whenever the preacher starts talking about the football game yesterday it's usually not a good sign,especially when "his" team is at the bottom of the standings.:doh:

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I've never been rejected by a church, but I should have been. I was a false convert for about five years. In spite of that, I was accepted as a member by two different churches during that time and even made a Sunday School teacher in one of them, even though I wasn't saved.

A total lack of discernment on their part.

Upvote 0