Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just out of curiosity have you ever dated or been on a date with someone is extremely smarter than you especially in a certain area? For example science, mathematics, apologetics, or anything you have no building block or experience with before?

If so, did you find common ground to make a relationship? Were you honest and let them know that they were speaking beyond anything that you could understand? And if you did tell them how did they respond?

SigurdReginson

Aug 4, 2020
PNW
✟45,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Just out of curiosity have you ever dated or been on a date with someone is extremely smarter than you especially in a certain area? For example science, mathematics, apologetics, or anything you have no building block or experience with before?

If so, did you find common ground to make a relationship? Were you honest and let them know that they were speaking beyond anything that you could understand? And if you did tell them how did they respond?

Hmmm... I think it has more to do with common interests than intelligence. He might just have different interests than you, or he might just be socially awkward. Talking past you seems more like he might not have the best social skills. I have a feeling if you guys talked about things that you were passionate about, you'd probably feel more of a connection, though.

• Informative
Reactions: sampa
Upvote 0

Ronit

Jul 29, 2017
Oregon
✟34,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Yes I have and no we had no common ground because he was very arrogant. It was a waste of both our time.

Upvote 0

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,561.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yup! My last relationship. I must say though, It can be a challenge especially when all they wanna do is talk about academic stuff, worse still your least favourite subjects. Good thing is they always knew the right things to say. We never really had conversations that i can say made me feel uncomfortable at the time. Bless him.

I do think if people really like each other, they'll always try to work around their differences and imperfections.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,474.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Once. It was very embarrassing though at the end!

The other 'person' was so eloquent and well spoken. Extremely intelligent and i thought very interesting indeed. I found love and power in their eyes. I was mesmerised.

Then, i realised i was looking and talking to myself in the mirror! :oops:

Upvote 0

SigurdReginson

Aug 4, 2020
PNW
✟45,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Once. It was very embarrassing though at the end!

The other 'person' was so eloquent and well spoken. Extremely intelligent and i thought very interesting indeed. I found love and power in their eyes. I was mesmerised.

Then, i realised i was looking and talking to myself in the mirror! :oops:

And here I thought Brittish humor tended more towards self deprecation...

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟381,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Everyone I've dated is probably smarter than me about something, and that's great because I like to learn. Also, listening to somebody who is passionate about what they're talking about can be inspiring.

If she's more knowledgeable than she is intelligent, however, it's unlikely that our relationship will get very far. People like that can be condescending and humorless. Seeing knowledge as a competition rather than something inherently useful or interesting. Then again, she might just have a good memory. There's nothing wrong with that.

I have a weakness for smart women, but it has more to do with liking to discuss ideas and imagination than about being highly educated in one subject or another.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟123,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thanks to everyone that has been telling about their experience with someone smarter. Some good thoughts and information. I got asked out today buy an intellectual that has written a companion guide to a well-known apologist. I'm a bit nervous because he will fly out and be here for 4 days. In another month. I also have an old co-worker that is in the same agency as him and has taken one of his seminars, so I at least have a little bit of background even though we've only had three conversations by phone. Better to find out in person then to drag things on by text/email/phone.

I was overwhelmed with our first conversation as it was way over my head but I think he's been trying to find some common ground what we can talk about. also I fit the bill of things he was looking for that his friends figured he would never find.

Upvote 0

Olmhinlu

Apr 15, 2020
Undisclosed
✟59,795.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not yet, but fortunately the Bible has answers!

Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent. - Proverbs 17:28

When words are many, transgression is not lacking, but whoever restrains his lips is prudent. - Proverbs 10:19

Oh that you would keep silent, and it would be your wisdom! - Job 13:5

For a dream comes with much business, and a fool’s voice with many words. - Ecclesiastes 5:3

• Friendly
Upvote 0