• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Have you ever been on a date with someone a lot smarter than you

Discussion in 'Singles (Only*)' started by sampa, Aug 4, 2020.

1. sampa

sampa Veteran

+364
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Others
    Just out of curiosity have you ever dated or been on a date with someone is extremely smarter than you especially in a certain area? For example science, mathematics, apologetics, or anything you have no building block or experience with before?

If so, did you find common ground to make a relationship? Were you honest and let them know that they were speaking beyond anything that you could understand? And if you did tell them how did they respond?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. SigurdReginson

SigurdReginson Member

+127
    United States
    Atheist
    Single
    Hmmm... I think it has more to do with common interests than intelligence. He might just have different interests than you, or he might just be socially awkward. Talking past you seems more like he might not have the best social skills. I have a feeling if you guys talked about things that you were passionate about, you'd probably feel more of a connection, though.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Ronit

Ronit Well-Known Member

+670
    United States
    Messianic
    Single
    Yes I have and no we had no common ground because he was very arrogant. It was a waste of both our time.

4. Franki(ncense)

Franki(ncense) Relax! Oluwa's running the show... Supporter

+845
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    Yup! My last relationship. I must say though, It can be a challenge especially when all they wanna do is talk about academic stuff, worse still your least favourite subjects. Good thing is they always knew the right things to say. We never really had conversations that i can say made me feel uncomfortable at the time. Bless him.

I do think if people really like each other, they'll always try to work around their differences and imperfections.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Lost4words

Lost4words Jesus I Trust In You Supporter

+7,225
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    Once. It was very embarrassing though at the end!

The other 'person' was so eloquent and well spoken. Extremely intelligent and i thought very interesting indeed. I found love and power in their eyes. I was mesmerised.

Then, i realised i was looking and talking to myself in the mirror! :oops:

6. SigurdReginson

SigurdReginson Member

+127
    United States
    Atheist
    Single
    And here I thought Brittish humor tended more towards self deprecation...

7. Miles

Miles No Divide

+3,066
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Everyone I've dated is probably smarter than me about something, and that's great because I like to learn. Also, listening to somebody who is passionate about what they're talking about can be inspiring.

If she's more knowledgeable than she is intelligent, however, it's unlikely that our relationship will get very far. People like that can be condescending and humorless. Seeing knowledge as a competition rather than something inherently useful or interesting. Then again, she might just have a good memory. There's nothing wrong with that.

I have a weakness for smart women, but it has more to do with liking to discuss ideas and imagination than about being highly educated in one subject or another.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. sampa

sampa Veteran

+364
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Others
    Thanks to everyone that has been telling about their experience with someone smarter. Some good thoughts and information. I got asked out today buy an intellectual that has written a companion guide to a well-known apologist. I'm a bit nervous because he will fly out and be here for 4 days. In another month. I also have an old co-worker that is in the same agency as him and has taken one of his seminars, so I at least have a little bit of background even though we've only had three conversations by phone. Better to find out in person then to drag things on by text/email/phone.

I was overwhelmed with our first conversation as it was way over my head but I think he's been trying to find some common ground what we can talk about. also I fit the bill of things he was looking for that his friends figured he would never find.

9. Olmhinlu

Olmhinlu Well-Known Member

+1,319
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    Not yet, but fortunately the Bible has answers!

Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent. - Proverbs 17:28

When words are many, transgression is not lacking, but whoever restrains his lips is prudent. - Proverbs 10:19

Oh that you would keep silent, and it would be your wisdom! - Job 13:5

For a dream comes with much business, and a fool’s voice with many words. - Ecclesiastes 5:3