Have You Been Trained To Be A Housewife?

Hannah♥

Dec 10, 2015
USA
✟9,143.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
My parents are divorced. My mom went through some traumatic things right around the time I was born. Her husband left her, her mother died, and I was born all within a couple of months of each other. Her mother's passing and my birth within just two weeks.

She was mostly depressed when I was growing up. She didn't cook much or clean or take us to the park. We spent a lot of time by ourselves and so there are a lot of habits that I never formed as a child or as a young woman.

I never really learned how to take care of myself or my space. Forcing myself to form the habit of brushing my teeth twice a day has been a struggle for most of the years of my adult life. I never learned any secrets for cleaning red wine out of the rug or how to make the perfect omelette. I wasn't taught how to care for a husband. We didn't really have company over very often, maybe a few times a year, so I also never learned how to entertain or how to cook for a large amount of people.

I'd never want to discount my mother, though. She taught me many, many other things that unfortunately can only come out of struggle and adversity. I'm just saying, basically, that I was never taught how to be a housewife. And that's something I really want to be.

I want to worship and write and create and travel, of course. But what I really want is to be the perfect little wifey, as I'm sure there are other women who can relate.

In the 5 years that I have lived without my mom, I have slowly started to form good habits of housekeeping and housewifery. I keep my house clean, picking up here and there as I go. I cook breakfast, lunch, and dinner every single day for my boyfriend and I always serve him first. I do all of the laundry. I keep my boyfriend's things in order so that they are easy for him to find.

So I'm getting better. But it has led me to ask - are women still being trained as housewives? Did your mom insist on you being there while she made the homemade bread? Did your grandmother show you how to sew a hole in a lace table cloth? Did you and your sisters have to help with the laundry while your brothers played? Please let me know what it was like growing up with your mother and the things that she taught you. I can use all the advice I can get! Thank you!

Jamminontha1

Jun 29, 2017
Vallejo
✟11,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My parents are divorced. My mom went through some traumatic things right around the time I was born. Her husband left her, her mother died, and I was born all within a couple of months of each other. Her mother's passing and my birth within just two weeks.

She was mostly depressed when I was growing up. She didn't cook much or clean or take us to the park. We spent a lot of time by ourselves and so there are a lot of habits that I never formed as a child or as a young woman.

I never really learned how to take care of myself or my space. Forcing myself to form the habit of brushing my teeth twice a day has been a struggle for most of the years of my adult life. I never learned any secrets for cleaning red wine out of the rug or how to make the perfect omelette. I wasn't taught how to care for a husband. We didn't really have company over very often, maybe a few times a year, so I also never learned how to entertain or how to cook for a large amount of people.

I'd never want to discount my mother, though. She taught me many, many other things that unfortunately can only come out of struggle and adversity. I'm just saying, basically, that I was never taught how to be a housewife. And that's something I really want to be.

I want to worship and write and create and travel, of course. But what I really want is to be the perfect little wifey, as I'm sure there are other women who can relate.

In the 5 years that I have lived without my mom, I have slowly started to form good habits of housekeeping and housewifery. I keep my house clean, picking up here and there as I go. I cook breakfast, lunch, and dinner every single day for my boyfriend and I always serve him first. I do all of the laundry. I keep my boyfriend's things in order so that they are easy for him to find.

So I'm getting better. But it has led me to ask - are women still being trained as housewives? Did your mom insist on you being there while she made the homemade bread? Did your grandmother show you how to sew a hole in a lace table cloth? Did you and your sisters have to help with the laundry while your brothers played? Please let me know what it was like growing up with your mother and the things that she taught you. I can use all the advice I can get! Thank you!

There's a lot of reasons why you shouldn't co-habitate with your boyfriend, but this isn't what your thread is asking. All I will say is I advise against it.

As for the answer to your post, I wasn't really trained as much as I was interested in what my mom was doing. She had 4 kids and was living alone as a single mother. She used to let us help her cook whenever we asked and had daily chores we were required to do.

She worked a lot of graveyard shifts at a hospital for longer than 8 hours, so it was a necessity for us to learn to cook.

It also helped that we were poor, so we had to learn to sew our clothes back together.

The basics, I think that should be learned as a housewife is the ability to cook, bake, clean, iron, first aid, and sewing. Everything else is learned "on the job."

If you can't look, I'd suggest starting with a cookbook or watching cooking shows.

I live alone and therefore have the space and opportunity to try new meals as well as not having a fear of failure. All the meals I do well with, I keep them stored away or in my memory if they're easier.

Upvote 0

Hannah♥

Dec 10, 2015
USA
✟9,143.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
There's a lot of reasons why you shouldn't co-habitate with your boyfriend, but this isn't what your thread is asking. All I will say is I advise against it.

As for the answer to your post, I wasn't really trained as much as I was interested in what my mom was doing. She had 4 kids and was living alone as a single mother. She used to let us help her cook whenever we asked and had daily chores we were required to do.

She worked a lot of graveyard shifts at a hospital for longer than 8 hours, so it was a necessity for us to learn to cook.

It also helped that we were poor, so we had to learn to sew our clothes back together.

The basics, I think that should be learned as a housewife is the ability to cook, bake, clean, iron, first aid, and sewing. Everything else is learned "on the job."

If you can't look, I'd suggest starting with a cookbook or watching cooking shows.

I live alone and therefore have the space and opportunity to try new meals as well as not having a fear of failure. All the meals I do well with, I keep them stored away or in my memory if they're easier.
Thank you for your advice . ♥

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
So I'm getting better. But it has led me to ask - are women still being trained as housewives?
In some tight-knit fundamentalist and immigrant communities, yes, but not in general. Unless there's a pool of ready-made husbands to choose from within the family's social circle, most people in the United States can't guarantee that their daughter will find a husband at 18.

Most Americans want their daughters to be able to support themselves for their own sake, but even those who would prefer that they become stay-at-home wives tend to recognize that they need something to fall back on.
Did your mom insist on you being there while she made the homemade bread? Did your grandmother show you how to sew a hole in a lace table cloth? Did you and your sisters have to help with the laundry while your brothers played?
No, I wasn't pressured or expected to learn those things. I made sure that I was able to take care of myself before I moved away for university, of course, but I generally learned things on a need-to-know basis. I know "how to adult," and I can run my own household. When I wanted or needed to know something, I either asked my mother or used the Internet.

Upvote 0

Observer

Observer
Sep 29, 2004
Australia
✟10,101.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm cohabiting, recently divorced. I lost ability to feel judged by it after everything I've been through... not saying it... uh... I just... nevermind, can't speak my thoughts on it here.

Anyway... my mum taught me some little things but she didn't really push it. I just kind of passively learned things here and there. I have no siblings so can't comment on brothers.
I'm a good cook, cleaner... I do those things in my job as well. I'm a good home maker. I was unmotivated and not so great in my early 20s when I got married but I was always capable. I learned a lot of things over the years off TV, youtube and websites.. and experimenting, especially with cooking.

People should learn things for themselves. I like to be the home maker wifey type too but you have to be careful NOT to do that for people that don't deserve it or haven't earned it.

Upvote 0

Minoa

Jul 29, 2016
North America
✟10,058.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nope, it's my husband who hopes his Asian family will teach me instead. Funny part is his mom doesn't actually cook much, its her newer less traditional husband who does it---yea sure husband, follow this example okay? her man actually isn't too ashamed to pick up a pan. Husband's dad insisted my husband marry an asian woman....yet this man has cheated 2x already and is now with a much younger wife and unmarried with a new kid and doesn't care about his adult son who isn't there to be his caretaker.

Upvote 0