Have I had confirmation I'm going to hell?

lollykh

Nov 3, 2012
✟15,550.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hello all,

I feel like to have to tell someone about this because for me, and for anybody, this is deeply troubling.

In November 2017, I attended Life which was an amazing conference set up by Shake the Nations and Christ for All Nations, featuring Daniel Kolenda, Todd White and Nathan Morris. I saw the Holy Spirit in action which was just amazing to see.

Now, one day I was suffering from really bad anxiety and depression. I was in the middle of doing something and then suddenly in my mind a thought came into my head and this thought was that what I saw from Life was not from the Holy Spirit but from the Devil. Immediately after this thought came into my mind, I was shocked. Moments later, I felt my heart hardening. Oh my word, it was a really awful experience, I just wanted it to go away. Is this confirmation that I have blasphemed against the Holy Spirit, committed against the unforgivable sin or was Satan just trying to trick me?

I have looked into what exactly is Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit but there are various explanations as to what this is which is deeply frustrating - especially as you are extremely desperate for an answer!! On nearly every source it says something along the lines of if you’re worried about committing, it means that you haven’t. I don’t understand the logic behind this. Can someone please explain this to me?

I think I haven’t because God has been speaking to me in amazing ways recently and plus how can a person commit this sin and have the knowledge that they are going to hell when they die? I find it hard to believe that God can allow that to happen. Think about it, knowing that you’re going to hell, no matter what you do, that’s it. Can you think of anything scarier???

Furthermore, when I pray, I occasionally feel this sensation in my heart. Maybe it’s psychological?

Thank you reading this post. I need answers just like the dessert misses the rain.

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's merely intrusive thoughts. It has nothing to do with you. Your heart is obviously for the Lord. The devil is trying to steal the seed of the Word. Don't fall for his tricks. As you say, the Father doesn't play these games. He's in for the long haul and is not going to abandon you so easily. Keep believing in His goodness. Staying faithful to Him carries rewards.

Give this short video some careful attention. Bless you.

• Agree
Reactions: crossnote
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In November 2017, I attended Life which was an amazing conference set up by Shake the Nations and Christ for All Nations, featuring Daniel Kolenda, Todd White and Nathan Morris. I saw the Holy Spirit in action which was just amazing to see.

Now, one day I was suffering from really bad anxiety and depression. I was in the middle of doing something and then suddenly in my mind a thought came into my head and this thought was that what I saw from Life was not from the Holy Spirit but from the Devil. Immediately after this thought came into my mind, I was shocked. Moments later, I felt my heart hardening. Oh my word, it was a really awful experience, I just wanted it to go away. Is this confirmation that I have blasphemed against the Holy Spirit, committed against the unforgivable sin or was Satan just trying to trick me?
This is a consequence of associating with churches that emphasize emotion and personal experience in addition to or in place of the straightforward word of God, Holy Scripture. I am not one who does that, so I am probably not one to help you much with your worries.

However, I am sure that there are many pastors of more traditional churches, whether Protestant or Catholic, who could give you some important guidance and you would be under no obligation to join those churches simply for asking about such things.

You are not going to hell over this in any case, but the doubts and worries are not easily overcome, I understand.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was in the middle of doing something and then suddenly in my mind a thought came into my head and this thought was that what I saw from Life was not from the Holy Spirit but from the Devil.
I believe that thought was prompted by the Holy Spirit (esp. after you mentioned Todd White...the biker-kicker).
In any case regarding Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, your thought was not it at all. Just the fact that it worries you, means you have nowhere come close to hardening your heart as the Pharisees who were in danger of blaspheming, that Jesus spoke to and performed many miracles in their sight.

• Agree
Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello all,

I feel like to have to tell someone about this because for me, and for anybody, this is deeply troubling.

I have looked into what exactly is Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit but there are various explanations as to what this is which is deeply frustrating - especially as you are extremely desperate for an answer!! On nearly every source it says something along the lines of if you’re worried about committing, it means that you haven’t. I don’t understand the logic behind this. Can someone please explain this to me?

I think I haven’t because God has been speaking to me in amazing ways recently and plus how can a person commit this sin and have the knowledge that they are going to hell when they die? I find it hard to believe that God can allow that to happen. Think about it, knowing that you’re going to hell, no matter what you do, that’s it. Can you think of anything scarier???

Furthermore, when I pray, I occasionally feel this sensation in my heart. Maybe it’s psychological?

Thank you reading this post. I need answers just like the dessert misses the rain.
You mentioned going into shock and that is what the body does. But the material body is a wonderful shock absorber for the spiritual artillery that we all must deal with when dealing with the Holy Spirit and the attacks of satan. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. The shocked insulation will remain for as long as needed but has nothing to do with the condition of the heart.

• Agree
Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟392,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
Hello all,

All I can say is just from reading the title, just like I don’t believe there is such a thing as 100% knowing you’re going to Heaven until you actually stand before the throne and get let into Heaven, I don’t think there is such a thing as 100% knowing someone is going to Hell.

Romans 10:6-7
But the righteousness based on faith says, “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’” (that is, to bring Christ down) “or ‘Who will descend into the abyss?’” (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead).

Upvote 0

Deborah D

Prayer Warrior
Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
USA
✟224,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Hello all,

Two weeks after I gave my life to Jesus Christ, I was sitting in a Southern Baptist Sunday school class (Can't blame the Charismatics in my case! LOL). Someone was reading a scripture about being saved. The day I was saved, I hadn't thought about it using the term "saved," and I began to worry that I was not saved.

By the end of that day, I was completely convinced that I wasn't saved and could never be saved! And I "knew" that God didn't love me! For the next couple of years, I struggled with these horrible thoughts. Several different times, well meaning Christians led me in the sinner's prayer--just in case... That only added to my insecurity about it!

One day, I heard that my pastor's wife, a strong woman of God, had struggled with doubts about her salvation. A friend convinced me to walk the aisle one more time and seek prayer. When I told her what was going on, she said, "That's the devil!"

She gave me a copy of the Warfare Prayer, written by Dr. Victor Matthews and based on scripture. I read it out loud every time I was bombarded with these thoughts. It took some time, but eventually, I was set free! That was over 40 years ago. I believe that you can know this freedom too. I pray that you will!

Here's a link to a pdf that you can print:
http://truelifecf.org/PDFdownloads/Victor Matthews Warfare Prayer.pdf

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: crossnote
Upvote 0

Reborn1977

Devoted to Jesus - Less of me MORE of HIM
Supporter
Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
✟59,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello all,

Whether or not what you experience or witnessed at that conference was God or not is only for God to judge. We must be very careful to not credit God with acts that are not His and careful not to credit Satan with acts that are actual acts of God. I would err on the side of caution in regard to the latter. Perhaps God wanted you to know what you saw was not His work or perhaps the Devil wants you to doubt....either way I can assure you that you have not committed the unpardonable sin, nor have you blasphemed God as that would require a deliberate intentional act, which is not at all what you described.

There is only one sin that cannot be forgiven by God and based on what you have described you have not committed that sin.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
This is a consequence of associating with churches that emphasize emotion and personal experience in addition to or in place of the straightforward word of God, Holy Scripture. I am not one who does that, so I am probably not one to help you much with your worries.

However, I am sure that there are many pastors of more traditional churches, whether Protestant or Catholic, who could give you some important guidance and you would be under no obligation to join those churches simply for asking about such things.

You are not going to hell over this in any case, but the doubts and worries are not easily overcome, I understand.
Given the extent which the occult has invaded many parts of the church, it is quite possible that our friend was opened to the influence of a spirit that is not of God and it is attacking his mind and emotions. If people are looking for a sensory experience, then the devil is always there to give them one. This is especially true with teaching and involvement based more on experiences than on the Word of God. If people are wanting to receive experiences, they may very well receive what they are looking for, but it might not be the Holy Spirit experience they are expecting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I would guess that that is not what happened in this case, but it is always a possibility, as you said, Oscarr.
it is always good to be careful and to check everything with either the clear teaching of Scripture or the spirit of it. If an experience comes with a sense of confusion, depression, fear, condemnation, discouragement, then it is not of the Holy Spirit, but from an evil spirit whose intention is to derail a believer's faith in Christ and to make them believe that they have gone too far and got out of favour with God and are losing their salvation.

My view is that any experience involving believers, that is not clearly seen in the New Testament, is false and should be avoided.

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello all,

As a general rule, if you are asking the question "did I blaspheme the spirit?", then you did not. People who blaspheme against G-d, are not having this conversation.

As for the rest of the stuff.....

I think you need to be careful about looking for signs and wonders, and all this TV evangelist stuff, and people who can suddenly see.... that just happen to be in the audience, and just happen to get their sight right when a camera turns on them, and there are 100,000 people watching.

Jesus warned us about this....

Matthew 16:4 says:

"A wicked and adulterous generation looks for a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah." Jesus then left them and went away."

Now think about what Jesus said. Jonah was the only 'sign' that would be given.

Think about the story of Jonah. He got on a ship. Nothing special. Sailed in one direction. Nothing special. Hit a storm, and was tossed overboard. No miracles. He was eaten by a fish. Who saw that? No one. He lived in the fish for 3 days. Who saw that? No one. The fish spit him up on the shore. Who saw that? Likely no one. He then walks into the city and tells everyone to repent or die.

Think about that. No one saw any signs, or wonders. They saw just Jonah saying "Fix yourself, cause it's going to be bad".

There was no big magic, or blind people that can see, or anything else. It was just a prophet, who had a really bad 3 days no one witnessed, and then started preaching.

Do not be looking for magic and signs.

Be the person that listens for the small still voice. If G-d is speaking to you, then stop worrying. Worry is an insult to G-d, when he promised to forgive you and take care of you.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Jesus warned us about this....
Matthew 16:4 says:
"A wicked and adulterous generation looks for a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah." Jesus then left them and went away."
You need to check your exegesis of this verse. What do you think that Jesus meant by this verse in the First Century Jewish context? What you do think the First Century Jewish Pharisees understood by what Jesus said to them? Until you can answer those questions, you can have no knowledge of what that verse really means. You can't take a verse and automatically apply it to 21st Century Christians, because if the Jews didn't understand or know about 21st Century Charismatic signs and wonders, then it is a twisting of the Scripture to apply it to 21st Century Christians. It putting words into Jesus' that weren't there.

So, you are applying hermeneutics to the verse based on your own view of what you believe Charismatic signs and wonders are and not on what Jesus really meant to say to the First Century Jews.

Now this is not to say that you are incorrect about saying that much of which is claimed about signs and wonders in Charismatic circles is false. I have no problem with that at all, and believers should be careful about accepting claims that are not genuine. But you cannot use Matthew 16:4 to support that point. You would be better using the other reference that contains Jesus' warning about false signs and wonders in the last days. If you apply your exegesis skills about that, then you will see clearly what Jesus meant and what He wanted the First Century Jews to understand about the last days, which we are in right now.

Now think about what Jesus said. Jonah was the only 'sign' that would be given.

Think about the story of Jonah. He got on a ship. Nothing special. Sailed in one direction. Nothing special. Hit a storm, and was tossed overboard. No miracles. He was eaten by a fish. Who saw that? No one. He lived in the fish for 3 days. Who saw that? No one. The fish spit him up on the shore. Who saw that? Likely no one. He then walks into the city and tells everyone to repent or die.

Think about that. No one saw any signs, or wonders. They saw just Jonah saying "Fix yourself, cause it's going to be bad".

There was no big magic, or blind people that can see, or anything else. It was just a prophet, who had a really bad 3 days no one witnessed, and then started preaching.

Do not be looking for magic and signs.

Be the person that listens for the small still voice. If G-d is speaking to you, then stop worrying. Worry is an insult to G-d, when he promised to forgive you and take care of you.
Here again, you need to do a bit of exegesis to find out what Jesus actually meant with his example of Jonah, and what He was saying to the Jewish Pharisees that the sign of Jonah really was. You may find out that it had nothing to do with signs and wonders. Also, the Jewish Pharisees of the First Century had no understanding of the meaning of signs and wonders in their own Jewish religion. They would have asked, "What do you mean by signs and wonders?" What the Pharisees were really saying was: "Show us a great sign or miracle to prove that you are the Messiah!" They already witnessed the healing and casting out of demons that were part of Jesus' ministry, and because of those they wanted to kill Him. So the "sign" they were looking for, was something much more dramatic.

See? I've done your exegesis for you!

Now you can do your bit: What was Jesus meaning when he talked about the sign of Jonah spending three days in the belly of the fish?"

Then, once having learned what Jesus really meant and what the Pharisees really understood what He was telling them, you can then have a go at hermeneutically attempting to apply it to 21st Century believers, without twisting the meaning away from what Jesus was actually meaning.

Upvote 0

Joined2krist

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,048.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
As long as you don't deliberately insult the Holy Spirit for whatever reason, you're fine. Satan always tries to trick believers into believing we have committed sin deliberately, this is why we should learn to confess our sins to one another. Do you know that you will feel less guilty simply by posting this here and letting us know what truly happened? you've not deliberately blasphemed the Holy Spirit, God bless you

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As long as you don't deliberately insult the Holy Spirit for whatever reason, you're fine. Satan always tries to trick believers into believing we have committed sin deliberately, this is why we should learn to confess our sins to one another. Do you know that you will feel less guilty simply by posting this here and letting us know what truly happened? you've not deliberately blasphemed the Holy Spirit, God bless you
Often taking them to the Lord in prayer is effective.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I'll make a comment here in support of your post. :)

The problem is because of the trend toward self-centredness, positive self-image, self-esteem that has crept into our churches and caused people to look inward instead of putting their trust in Christ. The church has gotten away from the correct attitude of:
"I'm just a poor sinner, and nothing at all,
But Jesus Christ is my all in all."

In His grace and mercy, God will allow a person to feel abandoned, have a low self-image, sinful, neglected, experience suffering and unhappiness (and we see a lot of that on CF) to get them to look away from themselves and to put their full trust in Christ. Paul said that he was content no matter what situation he found himself in. He gives a catalogue of what he went through and those things would almost destroy many modern Christians. Yet, while in prison facing execution he wrote to the Philippians and said, "Count it all joy!" In the natural, he had nothing to be joyful about, but in Christ, where he was putting his trust,he found every reason to be joyful.

The truth about ourselves is:
"We have the sentence of death in ourselves that we should not trust in ourselves, but in God who raises the dead."

• Useful
Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0