• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

have i got ADHD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meebs

The dev!l loves rock and roll
Aug 17, 2004
Alpha Quadrant
Visit site
✟17,879.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
ummm, i need help.

See, i think i had/have adhd. well my mum did when i was younger.

Heres why. When i was younger, i was hyperactive, sleepless, voilent, had no concentration, struggled at school, not really with it any colorings would set me off.

When i reached puberty these symptoms got worse, i became more voilent and would set off at the tiniest thing, also very paranoid.

Now, well, what cn i say. ive learnt to control myself the tiniest bit. But i am still hyper, sometimes i go off into rages, but that has also calmed a little bit, as with the rest of my life i suffer with nightmares. i am impatiant, i cant concentrate well (i can write these posts obviously) i still get angry and even hit out (im ashamed) i get depressed for no reason and sometimes suicidal. Imtrying to convert to a natural diet as much as possible, but that is hard cos im skint, and havnt much patience to cook a lot even though i enjoy it. i am at university but i think my work isnt as good as it should be. I get these great ideas on how im going to do it, but then i dont cos i just cant. i am also very paranoid.

As for diagnoses, they ignored these symptoms when i was young saying i was attention seeking (which not at all, i wanted to be normal, i was embarressed).

They even put me on prozac not long back, but that made me worse and couldnt sleep. Also, i went to see a counciler who told me i was normal (even though i had just hurt myself a few weeks back). I know im not, other people know im not, even though i just met them! people, joke about my concentration, though not harshly, so thats ok. I love God, i want to do some good stuff, but cant. im not a bad person, i try my best, but it is hard. i only wonder when i finally am going to lose it.

it is scary, have i got ADHD? i know a guy who is worse than me by miles but he is diagnosed, but we are similar. If it is not, then what is it? HELP!

i am so ashamed off myself.

ChrisLockhart

Oct 18, 2004
NC USA
Visit site
✟16,086.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
There are lots of different syndromes, diseases, or whatever you want to call them that are misdiagnosed as ADD, or ADHD. Some of these are just normal behaviour. Rather than try to look for a label to classify yourself as, perhaps try finding what the causes of the problems are and work on them.

What you do seem to have (going on what little you gave us) are patterns of thinking and behaving that you need to recognise and interrupt when they start.

There's certainly no reason to be ashamed.

What sort of things are you good at? (this is a serious question, cuz it might provide some sort of clue as to where things originated)

Upvote 0

keirasmommy

Oct 19, 2004
Penticton, British Columbia
✟209.00
Faith
Christian
There is an actual test for ADD. I'm not sure of the name but maybe you could find what it's called by surfing the net. I watched the Dr. Phil episode on ADD and he said that so many people are misdiagnosed because they don't take the real test. I would find out what the real test is called and go to a Dr. who administers this test.

Upvote 0

yeshuaskid

Warrior in God's Army
Sep 26, 2004
Delaware
Visit site
✟1,027.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree with keirasmommy.... you may want to be tested. It sounds as if you are thinking you may be ADD. I'm ADHD and wasn't diagnosed until college. My life has improved since then.

ChrisLockhart said:
There are lots of different syndromes, diseases, or whatever you want to call them that are misdiagnosed as ADD, or ADHD. Some of these are just normal behaviour.
Agreed...

Rather than try to look for a label to classify yourself as, perhaps try finding what the causes of the problems are and work on them.
I agree that you should search for solutions but, I also think you need the LABEL to classify yourself...sometimes. If you don't know what's wrong...you can't get to the core of the whole problem and be able to correct it. Please, ChrisLockhart, I'm not saying that you think ADD is just a label. As an advocate for this disorder...I know how frustrating it can be.

What you do seem to have (going on what little you gave us) are patterns of thinking and behaving that you need to recognise and interrupt when they start. There's certainly no reason to be ashamed.
Absolutely!

What sort of things are you good at? (this is a serious question, cuz it might provide some sort of clue as to where things originated)
This guy hit it right on the mark! I look forward to seeing your response to his question.

God Bless...

Upvote 0

ChrisLockhart

Oct 18, 2004
NC USA
Visit site
✟16,086.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I agree that you should search for solutions but, I also think you need the LABEL to classify yourself...sometimes. If you don't know what's wrong...you can't get to the core of the whole problem and be able to correct it. Please, ChrisLockhart, I'm not saying that you think ADD is just a label. As an advocate for this disorder...I know how frustrating it can be.

My name! Anyway, I understand completely what you are saying and agree. My concern, as far as what I was saying, is for one to avoid resigning oneself to the attributes of a certain type of disorder. In other words, I think that proper diagnosis is excellent as a means, but not as an end.

Basically what I'm saying here is.. yeshuaskid and keirasmommy both have offered excellent advice and made good point. I just wanted to make sure you didn't pick something and say 'yep, that's me' and stick with it. Rather, if you think you have a problem, work on it.. and a proper diagnosis can be a huge step in the right direction, in a definite way.

Upvote 0

yeshuaskid

Warrior in God's Army
Sep 26, 2004
Delaware
Visit site
✟1,027.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ChrisLockhart said:
I just wanted to make sure you didn't pick something and say 'yep, that's me' and stick with it. Rather, if you think you have a problem, work on it.. and a proper diagnosis can be a huge step in the right direction, in a definite way.
That's what I thought you were getting at. I have the book that GAL220 referred to (Healing ADD) and it's very enlightening.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.