Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The unforgivable sin, in the context of our blessed Lord's words, referred to attributing of the works of Christ to Satan. Unless you were Jewish, living in the first century in Israel, there was no way you could have committed this act. When the religious crowd of his day saw his miracles, they would say that he did it by the power of Beelzebub and the prince of demons. Our blessed Lord calls that the unforgivable sin, because they had slandered the work and testimony of God when it was done before their face as proof to them that he was who he said he was. Be comforted, sister, you would not have sought the Lord too if you did this, but would have remained hardened under sin and against God.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
The Father is the only one who can grant repentance. If He's drawing you to repent and believe in Christ's finished work alone for your salvation, do it. Don't sit there and try to talk yourself out of it.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is probably a question you guys get asked loads of times, but I couldn't find a situation similar to mine. Mine's probably the worst out of them all.
I was an avid churchgoer as a kid, but I fell away from the faith and stopped believing for about a decade. I would occasionally throw fits of anger and direct my anger at God and go as far as to call him the devil.
My sister's fiance reintroduced me to the faith a couple years later, and although I was a little unsure at first, I started to believe. However, after doing enough research on the Bible and learning about the unforgivable sin, I was consumed by so much anxiety and stress that I said these words "The Holy Spirit is evil" under duress (not because I meant it or was angry with God).
So my ultimate question is: is this sin unforgivable in the sense that words put a seal on your fate and God chooses not to forgive you or in the sense that the person is incapable of repenting? (I really want to repent)
As a young Christian I thought I had fallen away beyond repentance. But the image of God I fell away from was false. And any thoughtful person would have fallen away from the same with honor. So it is possible your church mislead you presenting a false concept of God. Common today.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟400,582.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I just want to say, first of all, it's good to be concerned about this as with any of God's Word. However, providing you believe in Jesus Christ, there's no cause for alarm.

What the verse refers to is not mere blaspheming of words in the sense that we utter something accidentally or in weakness, but rather a committed disregard and deliberate denial of the power and works of the Holy Spirit, and consequently the Father and the Son, our God.

Just as when Jesus said in Luke 14:26 "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.", it does not mean that we should hate our family or neighbour out of malice, but rather that we should exalt God above all. Context is everything. Scripture needs to be measured against Scripture.

In a similar way, when Jesus declares that no one will be forgiven for blaspheming against the Holy Spirit, we need to look at the full context. That is, that the Pharisees attributed the works of God to Beelzebul, by which they declare God to be a liar, when it's only to their own shame as it's a testament to themselves being liars. Put simply, they call God evil, because they themselves are evil. When the demon-possessed man was healed, so that he's no longer blind and mute, the Pharisees claims that it's not the work of the Holy Spirit. They deny the works and powers of the Holy Spirit and confound it with Satan. This is unpardonable.

What we can take away from this and apply in our lives, is that whoever denies that the Holy Spirit makes people alive in Christ, they will be judged.

I hope this makes sense and please don't worry, but give thanks to God for being rich in forgiveness and mercy! :)

Upvote 0

StrivingFollower

Oct 20, 2017
South
✟35,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The unforgivable sin to me was more of a threat than an absolute statement. I mean didn't Paul commit that sin, yet God loved him so much. What Jesus was saying was that like "if I reach my hand out to save you and you turn me down well you go to Hell." It's rejecting him until the end. That's why he described it as the unforgivable sin. Remember he was saying this to aggressive questioners that wanted him dead.

Upvote 0

Yusuphhai

Messianic Arabic-Semitic Chinese
Oct 19, 2005
Beijing China
✟169,995.00
Country
China
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Dear friend, I don’t mean you are like Judas the betrayer. Though Jesus knew Judas would definitely be put into hell, he still gave Judas chance to repent, even after Judas betrayed him. Unfortunately Judas chose suicide but not repentance. Your situation is much better than Judas. If one is definitely in hell, he would hide himself away from God’s Light, but not ask for help.

Jesus Christ Loved Judas the betrayer Truly. (Written by Rabbi James)

MATTHEW 26:1-75

This chapter deals with Yeshua's final days with his talmidim on earth, His anointing by the generous woman who poured the “nard” perfume on him, the betrayal by “Y'hudah Ish Kariot” (Judas, the man from the region of Kariot) in every group of disciples, there are always a few who are “fakers” We have the final “Pesach” dinner with his disciples and Kefa's denial,

But there is a lot we can learn from this, Peter denied knowing Yeshua, out of fear, but Judas openly rejected him by identifying him by a kiss on the cheek. Both sins forgivable, the only difference is that Peter confessed and received forgiveness, while Judas felt remorse, but did not cry out for forgiveness, but went out and committed suicide. There is a sin that leads to remorse and a “feeling sorry for oneself” and sin that leads to remorse, and from remorse to confession, and from confession to forgiveness, and from forgiveness to restored fellowship. How many readers out there have chosen the later? We are all sinners and have fallen short of the glory of God, but the confession of sins, and receiving forgiveness is something only you can do, I cannot do it for you. Yeshua receives ALL who come to him, no matter how bad or evil you have been, nor what you have done, no sin is beyond forgiveness. Just ask, and turn from your sin, and forgiveness and restoration are yours.

• Winner
Reactions: Zetetica
Upvote 0

Concord1968

LCMS Lutheran
Sep 29, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟23,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The fact that you're worried about it is pretty convincing evidence that you haven't committed it. If you had, you'd be so reprobate that you wouldn't care one bit that you'd committed it.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree with James Murphy. If it bothers you, you have NOT committed it. Instead you are being spoofed by the world and the devil. It is discouragement intended to keep you from growing up in the faith as God has intended for you.

I suggest you instead focus your mind on who you are as a christian. This list is from Joyce Meyers and it is quite good:

Knowing Who I Am in Christ

1 I am complete in Him Who is the Head of all principality and power (Colossians 2:10).

2 I am alive with Christ (Ephesians 2:5).

3 I am free from the law of sin and death (Romans 8:2).

4 I am far from oppression, and fear does not come near me (Isaiah 54:14).

5 I am born of God, and the evil one does not touch me (1 John 5:18).

6 I am holy and without blame before Him in love (Ephesians 1:4; 1 Peter 1:16).

7 I have the mind of Christ (1 Corinthians 2:16; Philippians 2:5).

8 I have the peace of God that passes all understanding (Philippians 4:7).

9 I have the Greater One living in me; greater is He Who is in me than he who is in the world (1 John 4:4).

10 I have received the gift of righteousness and reign as a king in life by Jesus Christ (Romans 5:17).

11 I have received the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Jesus, the eyes of my understanding being enlightened (Ephesians 1:17-18).

12 I have received the power of the Holy Spirit to lay hands on the sick and see them recover, to cast out demons, to speak with new tongues. I have power over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means harm me (Mark 16:17-18; Luke 10:17-19).

13 I have put off the old man and have put on the new man, which is renewed in the knowledge after the image of Him Who created me (Colossians 3:9-10).

14 I have given, and it is given to me; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over, men give into my bosom (Luke 6:38).

15 I have no lack for my God supplies all of my need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:19).

16 I can quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one with my shield of faith (Ephesians 6:16).

17 I can do all things through Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:13).

18 I show forth the praises of God Who has called me out of darkness into His marvelous light (1 Peter 2:9).

19 I am God’s child for I am born again of the incorruptible seed of the Word of God, which lives and abides forever (1 Peter 1:23).

20 I am God’s workmanship, created in Christ unto good works (Ephesians 2:10).

21 I am a new creature in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17).

22 I am a spirit being alive to God (Romans 6:11; Thessalonians 5:23).

23 I am a believer, and the light of the Gospel shines in my mind (2 Corinthians 4:4).

24 I am a doer of the Word and blessed in my actions (James 1:22,25).

25 I am a joint-heir with Christ (Romans 8:17).

26 I am more than a conqueror through Him Who loves me (Romans 8:37).

27 I am an overcomer by the blood of the Lamb and the word of my testimony (Revelation 12:11).

28 I am a partaker of His divine nature (2 Peter 1:3-4).

29 I am an ambassador for Christ (2 Corinthians 5:20).

30 I am part of a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a purchased people (1 Peter 2:9).

31 I am the righteousness of God in Jesus Christ (2 Corinthians 5:21).

32 I am the temple of the Holy Spirit; I am not my own (1 Corinthians 6:19).

33 I am the head and not the tail; I am above only and not beneath (Deuteronomy 28:13).

34 I am the light of the world (Matthew 5:14).

35 I am His elect, full of mercy, kindness, humility, and long suffering (Romans 8:33; Colossians 3:12).

36 I am forgiven of all my sins and washed in the Blood (Ephesians 1:7).

37 I am delivered from the power of darkness and translated into God’s kingdom (Colossians 1:13).

38 I am redeemed from the curse of sin, sickness, and poverty (Deuteronomy 28:15-68; Galatians 3:13).

39 I am firmly rooted, built up, established in my faith and overflowing with gratitude (Colossians 2:7).

40 I am called of God to be the voice of His praise (Psalm 66:8; 2 Timothy 1:9).

41 I am healed by the stripes of Jesus (Isaiah 53:5; 1 Peter 2:24).

42 I am raised up with Christ and seated in heavenly places (Ephesians 2:6; Colossians 2:12).

43 I am greatly loved by God (Romans 1:7; Ephesians 2:4; Colossians 3:12; 1 Thessalonians 1:4).

44 I am strengthened with all might according to His glorious power (Colossians 1:11).

45 I am submitted to God, and the devil flees from me because I resist him in the Name of Jesus (James 4:7).

46 I press on toward the goal to win the prize to which God in Christ Jesus is calling us upward (Philippians 3:14).

47 For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, love, and a sound mind (2 Timothy 1:7).

48 It is not I who live, but Christ lives in me (Galatians 2:20).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This is probably a question you guys get asked loads of times, but I couldn't find a situation similar to mine. Mine's probably the worst out of them all.
I was an avid churchgoer as a kid, but I fell away from the faith and stopped believing for about a decade. I would occasionally throw fits of anger and direct my anger at God and go as far as to call him the devil.
My sister's fiance reintroduced me to the faith a couple years later, and although I was a little unsure at first, I started to believe. However, after doing extensive research on the Bible and learning about the unforgivable sin, I was consumed by so much anxiety and stress that I said these words "The Holy Spirit is evil" under duress (not because I meant it or was angry with God).
So my ultimate question is: is this sin unforgivable in the sense that words put a seal on your fate and God chooses not to forgive you or in the sense that the person is incapable of repenting? (I really want to repent)

Some people think God is evil. That is more and more common these days with what governments force their people to conform to legally. Have you read the bible? Is the God of the bible evil to you? Then yes you've been brainwashed by the government and it's society.

My suggestion is to repent (like the rest of us Christians) and move forward of love of God. God has many wonderful feelings to offer his children that follow after him: Galatians 5:22-23

Upvote 0

Hannah239

Feb 2, 2019
Fairfax
✟9,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Some people think God is evil. That is more and more common these days with what governments force their people to conform to legally. Have you read the bible? Is the God of the bible evil to you? Then yes you've been brainwashed by the government and it's society.

My suggestion is to repent and move forward of love of God. God has many wonderful feelings to offer his children that follow after him: Galatians 5:22-23

thanks for your response! No, I don't believe god is evil at all, I said it because I was under a lot of duress. :)

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Hannah239

Feb 2, 2019
Fairfax
✟9,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I agree with James Murphy. If it bothers you, you have NOT committed it. Instead you are being spoofed by the world and the devil. It is discouragement intended to keep you from growing up in the faith as God has intended for you.

I suggest you instead focus your mind on who you are as a christian. This list is from Joyce Meyers and it is quite good:

Knowing Who I Am in Christ

1 I am complete in Him Who is the Head of all principality and power (Colossians 2:10).

2 I am alive with Christ (Ephesians 2:5).

3 I am free from the law of sin and death (Romans 8:2).

4 I am far from oppression, and fear does not come near me (Isaiah 54:14).

5 I am born of God, and the evil one does not touch me (1 John 5:18).

6 I am holy and without blame before Him in love (Ephesians 1:4; 1 Peter 1:16).

7 I have the mind of Christ (1 Corinthians 2:16; Philippians 2:5).

8 I have the peace of God that passes all understanding (Philippians 4:7).

9 I have the Greater One living in me; greater is He Who is in me than he who is in the world (1 John 4:4).

10 I have received the gift of righteousness and reign as a king in life by Jesus Christ (Romans 5:17).

11 I have received the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Jesus, the eyes of my understanding being enlightened (Ephesians 1:17-18).

12 I have received the power of the Holy Spirit to lay hands on the sick and see them recover, to cast out demons, to speak with new tongues. I have power over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means harm me (Mark 16:17-18; Luke 10:17-19).

13 I have put off the old man and have put on the new man, which is renewed in the knowledge after the image of Him Who created me (Colossians 3:9-10).

14 I have given, and it is given to me; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over, men give into my bosom (Luke 6:38).

15 I have no lack for my God supplies all of my need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:19).

16 I can quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one with my shield of faith (Ephesians 6:16).

17 I can do all things through Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:13).

18 I show forth the praises of God Who has called me out of darkness into His marvelous light (1 Peter 2:9).

19 I am God’s child for I am born again of the incorruptible seed of the Word of God, which lives and abides forever (1 Peter 1:23).

20 I am God’s workmanship, created in Christ unto good works (Ephesians 2:10).

21 I am a new creature in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17).

22 I am a spirit being alive to God (Romans 6:11; Thessalonians 5:23).

23 I am a believer, and the light of the Gospel shines in my mind (2 Corinthians 4:4).

24 I am a doer of the Word and blessed in my actions (James 1:22,25).

25 I am a joint-heir with Christ (Romans 8:17).

26 I am more than a conqueror through Him Who loves me (Romans 8:37).

27 I am an overcomer by the blood of the Lamb and the word of my testimony (Revelation 12:11).

28 I am a partaker of His divine nature (2 Peter 1:3-4).

29 I am an ambassador for Christ (2 Corinthians 5:20).

30 I am part of a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a purchased people (1 Peter 2:9).

31 I am the righteousness of God in Jesus Christ (2 Corinthians 5:21).

32 I am the temple of the Holy Spirit; I am not my own (1 Corinthians 6:19).

33 I am the head and not the tail; I am above only and not beneath (Deuteronomy 28:13).

34 I am the light of the world (Matthew 5:14).

35 I am His elect, full of mercy, kindness, humility, and long suffering (Romans 8:33; Colossians 3:12).

36 I am forgiven of all my sins and washed in the Blood (Ephesians 1:7).

37 I am delivered from the power of darkness and translated into God’s kingdom (Colossians 1:13).

38 I am redeemed from the curse of sin, sickness, and poverty (Deuteronomy 28:15-68; Galatians 3:13).

39 I am firmly rooted, built up, established in my faith and overflowing with gratitude (Colossians 2:7).

40 I am called of God to be the voice of His praise (Psalm 66:8; 2 Timothy 1:9).

41 I am healed by the stripes of Jesus (Isaiah 53:5; 1 Peter 2:24).

42 I am raised up with Christ and seated in heavenly places (Ephesians 2:6; Colossians 2:12).

43 I am greatly loved by God (Romans 1:7; Ephesians 2:4; Colossians 3:12; 1 Thessalonians 1:4).

44 I am strengthened with all might according to His glorious power (Colossians 1:11).

45 I am submitted to God, and the devil flees from me because I resist him in the Name of Jesus (James 4:7).

46 I press on toward the goal to win the prize to which God in Christ Jesus is calling us upward (Philippians 3:14).

47 For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, love, and a sound mind (2 Timothy 1:7).

48 It is not I who live, but Christ lives in me (Galatians 2:20).

Yes I'm from Fairfax, virginia! so close to you, I suppose :) Thanks for the response!

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
thanks for your response! No, I don't believe god is evil at all, I said it because I was under a lot of duress. :)

Well you'd be closer to blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, if you had perfect knowledge that God exists, understood him, and taught people that he is evil and that people should follow after you instead.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes I'm from Fairfax, virginia! so close to you, I suppose :) Thanks for the response!
Again, welcome neighbor!

Please put your heart at rest on this issue. You have not done that nor are you beyond repentance.

BTW - PLEASE put a quick introduction post in here: Introduce Yourself

• Agree
Reactions: Hannah239
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God understands our duress more than we imagine.
One of my favorite verses:

Psalm 103:14
For He Himself knows our frame; He is mindful that we are but dust.

Reactions: Loyce KG
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.