Have German bishops committed the crime of schism? Will the Holy See declare it?

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The deputy chairman of the German bishops’ conference on Thursday invited Catholics in his diocese to contact parishes for liturgical blessings of their same-sex partnerships and other relationships regarded as morally illicit in the Catholic Church.

The move comes after the “synodal way” - an assembly of laity and bishops aiming to reform the Church in Germany - approved last week a resolution urging German bishops to officially permit same-sex blessings in their dioceses.

Because the Vatican announced recently that such blessings are impossible for the Church, some Catholics have asked whether Bishop Franz-Josef Bode’s announcement is formally an act of schism, a canonical crime which carries with it the penalty of excommunication.

To date, the Vatican has not declared Bode, or anyone involved in the German synodal way, guilty of schism — an action that would have significant consequences in civil and canon law, and could prompt complicated civil litigation.

But if the Vatican wants to sanction Bode without prompting debate about schism and its consequences, there are other canonical crimes for which the bishop could likely be called to account.

Still, as long as the Vatican does not intervene over Bode’s action, the German bishops are claiming a kind of victory by omission — arguing that liturgical blessings have already become status quo, and suggesting that Rome should rescind its earlier prohibitions against them.

Continued below.

Reactions: ralliann

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,224,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Still, as long as the Vatican does not intervene over Bode’s action, the German bishops are claiming a kind of victory by omission — arguing that liturgical blessings have already become status quo, and suggesting that Rome should rescind its earlier prohibitions against them.
I think they are in communion with the pope until the pope says otherwise. Which makes it very unsettling to have a schism in reality that isn't a schism in name.

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,771.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think they are in communion with the pope until the pope says otherwise. Which makes it very unsettling to have a schism in reality that isn't a schism in name.
This seems to be the nature of our Church these days. The last thing Rome wants to do is kick people out of the Church, which I get, but sometimes you have to make a point that there are lines that cannot be crossed.

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,771.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am hoping that Pope Francis is planning to use the upcoming Synod as the means to put a check on the Germans, when none of the wishlist of that country does not come into effect.

Oddly enough, I guess no body caught it when the Pope said no doctrine is changing in this Synod.

Upvote 0