Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"Fundie"?.

"fundie" (NOUN) (written fundy)
informal (derogatory?)BRITISH?
a fundamentalist, especially a "Christian fundamentalist".

"fundie"
1) Abbreviation of "fundamentalist";
2) Often a "sola scriptura" "non-denominational" "born-again" ('evangelical") Christian;
3) Self-proclaimed "Jesus Freak" who spouts half-understood scripture at the drop of a hat; (judgmental!)
4) General term for any teenage/preteen "pop" Christian (judgmental!)
who shows an extraordinary lack of tolerance/understanding for other religions
(including any other denomination of Christianity);

fundie
Also found in:
Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Wikipedia.

(Ecclesiastical Terms) derogatory slang Austral a fundamentalist Christian

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Fundie"?.

"fundie" (NOUN) (written fundy)
informal (derogatory?)BRITISH?
a fundamentalist, especially a "Christian fundamentalist".

"fundie"
1) Abbreviation of "fundamentalist";
2) Often a "sola scriptura" "non-denominational" "born-again" ('evangelical") Christian;
3) Self-proclaimed "Jesus Freak" who spouts half-understood scripture at the drop of a hat; (judgmental!)
4) General term for any teenage/preteen "pop" Christian (judgmental!)
who shows an extraordinary lack of tolerance/understanding for other religions
(including any other denomination of Christianity);

fundie
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Wikipedia.

(Ecclesiastical Terms) derogatory slang Austral a fundamentalist Christian
Yes that's it! :)

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
So where did this characterization or label come from.

It came from fundamentalists themselves.

Using fallacious arguments to try and rubbish the Theory of Evolution just looks like obscurantism to most people. Even worse are the attempted character assassinations of Charles Darwin.

In fact, fundamentalists seem to spend so much time attacking evolution, and science in general, that they scarcely have any time left over for God.

Oh, and the near identification of evangelicalism with the rabidly right wing politics of the Republican Party in America doesn’t help either.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It came from fundamentalists themselves.
I asked about the modern characterization. However, the below quotes from you firmly exhibit how such characterization developed in liberal Christian churches, and post-modern society which goes hand in hand.

Using fallacious arguments to try and rubbish the Theory of Evolution just looks like obscurantism to most people. Even worse are the attempted character assassinations of Charles Darwin.
One does not even need fallacious arguments to refute what is unobserved.

In fact, fundamentalists seem to spend so much time attacking evolution, and science in general, that they scarcely have any time left over for God.
You base this assertion on what exactly? Message boards?

Oh, and the near identification of evangelicalism with the rabidly right wing politics of the Republican Party in America doesn’t help either.
Glad you were able to get that off your chest.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
http://toddcwood.blogspot.com/2009/09/truth-about-evolution.html

Once when I posted that link, somebody else posted a long list of names to supposedly refute it. Apparently not realising that his list contained the name of the person who wrote the blog article.
Well thank you. I'm always interested in seeing learned and credentialed Creationists speak of evolution within the framework of God's design. I thought this was interesting from Todd's Blog:

Lest my creationist credentials be doubted, let me be blunt:

I believe that God created everything that you see in six consecutive days around 6000 years ago.
I believe that Adam and Eve were the very first humans and were directly created by God.
I believe Adam and Eve sinned, and that sin brought death, carnivory, disease, and suffering into the world.
I believe that people really lived to be 900+ years back then.
I believe that there was a truly global Flood that inundated the entire planet.
I believe that humans and land animals were preserved on an Ark (approximately 450 feet long for those keeping score).
I believe that the humans after the Flood gradually stopped living to be 900+.
I believe that the humans after the Flood tried to build a tower in Babel to prevent their dispersal across the globe, in direct contradiction to God's command.
I believe that God punished the builders of Babel by miraculously confusing their languages.

I believe lots of other things about creation, too, but that should suffice to establish my point: I don't think you can get much more creationist than that.

I also believe that there is legitimate evidence for evolution (including universal common ancestry), but I'll develop that theme some other time. Stay tuned! (https://toddcwood.blogspot.com/2009/10/im-creationist.html)

That was from a 2009 blog. Has he changed his views since then or does he still hold to his Creationist credentials?

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
That was from a 2009 blog. Has he changed his views since then or does he still hold to his Creationist credentialls?

Apparently he was still a creationist four months ago. I don’t agree with him, but I can respect his intellectual integrity. That sometimes seems to be in short supply amongst YECs.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Apparently he was still a creationist four months ago. I don’t agree with him, but I can respect his intellectual integrity. That sometimes seems to be in short supply amongst YECs.
Ok, thanks for the ping and information Leslie. If you want to continue on sharing info recommend using the origins forums we have at CF.

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟34,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What is Fundamentalism?

What was said is true. I would like to clear up the snake-handling thing. We live in a rural area and when a snake gets into the church or fellowship hall, we call a brother who specializes in snake-handling. He trots in and opens fire with his 12-gauge shotgun on the snake if it's poisonous like a rattlesnake or copperhead. If it's just a blacksnake he just picks it up and shoves it into his fishing net and takes it outside. That's how we handle snakes. Sometimes it's messy but it works.

Best internet post about snake handling in history...

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟34,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not sure if you copied and pasted this from somewhere, but it's a loathsome article that opens by trying to draw a false moral equivalence between Christian fundamentalism and Islamic fundamentalism and closes by falsely blaming Christian fundamentalists for unethical actions/violence. It was clearly written by an unbeliever attempting to subtly discredit the Christian faith and should be given no value by anyone who claims the name of Christ.

What is a fundamentalist Christian?

In recent times, the term "fundamentalist" has become commonly used by the news media to refer to any religious group whom they consider to hold radical views. We may recall frequent references to the mid-east Islamic fundamentalists who have been viewed as fanatics, and often responsible for acts of terrorism.

Similarly, liberal society uses the term fundamentalist to identify any Christian whom they consider to be an extremist. Generally, they classify a Christian as a radical fundamentalist if they merely believe in the literal interpretation of the Bible, if they hold views against sexual permissiveness, homosexuality, abortion on demand, or any views which are politically incorrect.

From the Christian perspective, fundamentalist has traditionally referred to any follower of Christ who believes that
1. the Bible is the inspired Word of God and
2. who believes in its literal interpretation and fundamental teachings.
3. The fundamental Christian believes in the experience of the "new birth"
4. which occurs when faith is placed in Christ as Savior and Lord.
To the world this may be viewed as radical, but is very basic to the Christian faith.

The idea of Christian Fundamentalism first emerged as a movement in the 19th century within various Protestant bodies, who reacted against the rising tide of evolutionary theories and modernist Biblical criticism. From a Bible conference of Conservative Protestants meeting in Niagara in 1895, a statement was issued containing what came to be known as the five points of fundamentalism:
1. The verbal inerrancy of Scripture,
2. the divinity of Jesus Christ,
3. the virgin birth,
4. a substitutionary theory of the atonement, and
5.the physical resurrection and bodily return of Christ.

In the first half of the 20th century, most Protestant churches in the U.S. were divided into either Fundamentalist or Modernist groups. The term has generally been applied to all those who adhere to strict, conservative (Protestant) orthodoxy in the matter of Biblical inspiration.

In the broad sense, fundamentalism may be used to describe Christians who are uncompromising, conservative and who take their beliefs to the maximum — exactly how every believer should live. But because of recent, increased activism by those identified as fundamentalists, who have promoted unethical actions such as bringing violence against abortion clinics, doctors etc., some academic circles believe that fundamentalism has been redefined by our society. They believe that the philosophy of fundamentalism (at least in the world's eyes) has evolved into a legitimate form of extremism, with views too radical for the balanced, evangelical Christian. For this reason, fundamentalism may no longer be a term which accurately conveys what orthodox Christians really believe.

REF:

What is a fundamentalist Christian?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟34,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Why do you brits get so worked up about our politics? You don't live here. You don't vote here. Most Americans see your willing surrender to Islam as sad, but hey, if you want to live in Londonistan, that's your business. Just do the rest of the world the favor of dismantling your nukes and deleting all records that you ever had that technology before Sadiq Khan becomes the PM, ok?

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Why do you brits get so worked up about our politics? You don't live here. You don't vote here. Most Americans see your willing surrender to Islam as sad, but hey, if you want to live in Londonistan, that's your business. Just do the rest of the world the favor of dismantling your nukes and deleting all records that you ever had that technology before Sadiq Khan becomes the PM, ok?

Why do Americon politics bother us? Because they are productive of bigoted, ill Informed, and racist rants, that’s why.

By the way, if Sadiq Khan was leader of the Labour Party, I might vote for him, which is more than I ever would for Jeremy Corbyn, even though he does have the “right” coloured skin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Again, not your country, not your business.

Look, I cannot help but be bloody appaled by what I see in America, with a President who has trouble condemning neo nazi thugs, and who, by the way, is not past sticking his nose into British politics, and lying through his teeth whilst he is at it.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I want to remind all that this thread is not about American politics and Jihad in the UK.

It is about the theological aspects of the early 20th century Fundamentalism.

However some of the comments here truly indeed support my OP in that many have forgot this theological basis for Fundmentlism in that it rebelled against the Liberal Theology of the 19th century skeptic centers of education in Continental Europe.

• Agree
Reactions: Newtheran
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some Christian fundamentalists have engaged in acts of terror.

For instance, Scott Roeder was associated with the Messianic movement and he killed George Tiller, an abortion provider, in his own church in Wichita, Kansas about a decade ago.

In Pensacola, Florida in 1993, Michael Griffin, a Presbyterian minister who had been excommunicated from the OPC for his extremism, shot and killed David Gun, another abortion provider, in Pensacola, Florida.

Eric Rudolph also bombed the Olypmics in 1996 in Atlanta, as well as bombing a lesbian nightclub in the same city a year later. He also was responsible for several bombings at abortion clinics.
This is off topic to the thread. Have to remind folks of the SoP for this forum:

Community Rules
All posts within this faith community must adhere to the site wide rules. In addition, if you are not a member of this faith group, you may not debate issues or teach against its theology. You may post in fellowship. Active promotion of views contrary to the established teachings of this group will be considered off topic.

Upvote 0

tkolter

May 8, 2018
Saint Petersburg, Florida
✟22,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
On Evolution I don't generally waste my time on that I believe God created everything including us likely 6,000 to 10,000 years ago and no evidence will convince me otherwise the Bible must come first- always. As for other credentials well the scripture is the sole authority to me and its my anchor, my mortar and the structure about me.

Is it odd Fundamentalism rose from the Great Revival in the United States after the morale decay of society due to Darwin and science and of excesses such as happened in the early twentieth century prohibition and immorality. And we are the only ones showing the pathetic nature of the mainstream denominations to do what God wishes us to be warriors in the battle against Satan the lord of this world. We are behind enemy lines and are losing ground.

If we aren't saving souls and solely doing that as our focus we are failing God as His Servants so no there is no room for compromise there is the Church that body of all believers and Satan's kingdom whom we fight. And Satan to me corrupted many denominations and did so with cunning and with guile.

Upvote 0