Have a question about pictures and names.

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
It is obvious most do not wish to state their real names, or post actual pictures of themselves. What I don't understand is why? As for me I believe being transparent would help us connect with others in a more meaningful way.

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are a couple of reasons:
  1. When people are in the job market, prospective employers will often Google the job candidate as part of their background search. If that person has opposing political views or, as in my case, is public about having autism, they will be screened out prematurely. (I only use my real name in contexts that are professionally flattering.)
  2. It is easier for cyber-bullies & cyber-stalkers to use your information in offending ways.
  3. It accommodates identity theft.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...Brian Kelly...
full
(It looks like his "trick" worked... :doh:)

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Romans 12:2…be transformed…
Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,264,386.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Just because a member posts a life like photo and name and ‘says’ it’s their actual photo and name doesn’t make it so. Welcome to the world of the internet.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just because a member posts a life like photo and name and ‘says’ it’s their actual photo and name doesn’t make it so.
full
(There is one dude here who looks an awful lot like Taylor Swift...
full
)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What I don't understand is why?

It's left over paranoia from before the days of Facebook, You-tube, Twitter and other social media. Their is a small potential down side for being open about your identity especially if you are very opiniated and vocal etc., but the upside can be more than worth it when it comes to things like networking, finding friends, promoting things etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: RBPerry
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟780,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
It's left over paranoia from before the days of Facebook, You-tube, Twitter and other social media. Their is a small potential down side for being open about your identity especially if you are very opiniated and vocal etc., but the upside can be more than worth it when it comes to things like networking, finding friends, promoting things etc.
They already know who I am and what I think and probably more details than I care to know. That still doesn't mean stick my nose out there for someone to cut it off.

Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Thanks everyone for your opinions. I'm semi retired and pretty thick skinned so I don't need to worry about others not liking my posts, most of my family doesn't.

God Bless

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟747,349.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It also depends on how much you're in the public eye. It's one thing to post on a forum where a 1000 viewers is a large number. Most of the time it's much less.

It's quite another if you're in the public eye and millions of people are aware of your presence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Freth

Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟372,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I'm retired. Before retirement, my previous employer sent out a notice that they would be screening social media sites for employee activity. If you're doing nothing wrong (at least in your own mind), then you should have nothing to worry about, but if your employer disagrees with your point of view, that's all it takes for you to have life-changing repercussions; "up to and including termination".

Being retired, this isn't hanging over my head any more, but I have no desire to expose my personal information needlessly. The more information someone has on you, the more potential for misuse of that information. I've become quite comfy in my retirement, I don't want someone ruining it for me.

And just because I'm retired and can say what I want doesn't mean I will. I hold myself to a certain standard.

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Mechtild

May 31, 2021
South East
✟15,433.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Personally I really find the transparency and connections are made with the words people put out there, rather than knowing their name and face

There can, for some, be a safety aspect too. Whilst some call it paranoia, my own experienced tell me that not everyone on the Internet is a nice person and will try to secure your off-forum contact details to harass you. Not very nice to experience when you just wanted to discuss your faith :)

Upvote 0