Not open for further replies.

Miles Peterson

Nov 6, 2003
Visit site
✟205.00
Faith
Protestant
Gamecock said:
I was just reading some posts on a web site that the Catholic Church killed several thousand French Huguenots during the Reformation. Is that true? The site says this is a painting of the event (URL removed because I'm new)

You know, someone will probably accuse you of posting false and slanderous information, and you just watch - they'll use the painting as their proof that it isn't true....

"That picture is obviously faked. You can't tell me that a whole town held their pose long enough for the painter to capture it on canvas!"

Reactions: Gamecock
Upvote 0

calgal

Mar 25, 2003
Western MI
Visit site
✟17,475.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Check out Foxe's Book of Martyrs. http://www.gospelweb.net/foxeindex.htm All sorts of Horrors inflicted by minions of the Catholic Church on the folks who were following Jesus, not the (extremely corrupt in most cases) Pope. The Eastern Orthodox fared poorly as well at the hands of the Catholic Church, just for the record.
:sigh:
One can hope the Catholics of today are not inclined to follow their predecessors in establishing a reign of blood and terror. Just a historical insight and warning.

Reactions: Gamecock
Upvote 0

Gamecock

Oct 10, 2003
The Republic of Texas
Visit site
✟15,486.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Miles Peterson said:
You know, someone will probably accuse you of posting false and slanderous information,
But the truth will be all that matters, right? :confused:

Miles Peterson said:
"That picture is obviously faked. You can't tell me that a whole town held their pose long enough for the painter to capture it on canvas!"

Hmmmm, well Jesus and his disciples posed for the Last Supper.....

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Gamecock said:
I was just reading some posts on a web site that the Catholic Church killed several thousand French Huguenots during the Reformation. Is that true? :confused: The site says this is a painting of the event:

:cry::cry: http://www.gospelcom.net/chi/ARCHIVEF/08/daily-08-23-2001.shtml

:cry: :cry:
pic0823.jpg

Upvote 0

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
It is a sad legacy of the christian church that different division have seen it necessary to persecute and indeed kill each other. There were the Hugenots in France, the Covenanters in Scotland. Protestants in the past have been as cruel to catholics as catholics have been to protestants. Mostly this has been politically motivated or just plain bigotry.

Miles Peterson said:
That picture is obviously faked. You can't tell me that a whole town held their pose long enough for the painter to capture it on canvas!"

Gamecock said:
Hmmmm, well Jesus and his disciples posed for the Last Supper.....
Please tell me you guys are just kidding.

Andy

Upvote 0

Romanbear

Jun 24, 2003
Denver Co.
✟579.00
Faith
Christian
Hi theFijian;
a quote from you;
Protestants in the past have been as cruel to catholics as catholics have been to protestants. Mostly this has been politically motivated or just plain bigotry.
I have to disagree that protestants have ever murdered Catholics or have been politically motivated to be prejudice. Can you site one instance in history where Protestants have murdered Catholics for no other reason than what they believe.
In Christ;
Romanbear

Upvote 0

MizDoulos

<font color=6c2dc7><b>Justified by grace through f
Jan 1, 2002
The "Left Coast" of the USA
Visit site
✟22,176.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Reminder to all: Since discussions relating to Protestant and Catholic issues can turn volatile, please strive to keep on topic and remain objective, backing up your statements with scripture where possible. Personal conflicts that may arise should be dealt with through e-mail or PM, not in the public forum.

Thank you much!

Upvote 0

frumanchu

God's justice does not demand second chances
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2003
Ohio
✟62,780.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Romanbear said:
I have to disagree that protestants have ever murdered Catholics or have been politically motivated to be prejudice. Can you site one instance in history where Protestants have murdered Catholics for no other reason than what they believe.
You've obviously never been to Belfast.

Upvote 0

Romanbear

Jun 24, 2003
Denver Co.
✟579.00
Faith
Christian
Hi Fru;
No I haven't and I must admit that for some reason it hadn't crossed my mind. All I know of it is what the media has been saying about it all these years. I do know that it got started by the reasoning that all who aren't Catholic are heretics and the protestants not being willing to accept the rules of the RCC or submit to it's teaching.It boils down to freedom of religion.
In Christ;
Romanbear :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

calgal

Mar 25, 2003
Western MI
Visit site
✟17,475.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Andy:

Some sarcasm but a sad ring of truth. Most folks in the Renaissance were brutal and nasty but Catholics sending the Inquisition into Protestant countries caused a whole lot of hurt. :cry:

theFijian said:
It is a sad legacy of the christian church that different division have seen it necessary to persecute and indeed kill each other. There were the Hugenots in France, the Covenanters in Scotland. Protestants in the past have been as cruel to catholics as catholics have been to protestants. Mostly this has been politically motivated or just plain bigotry.

Please tell me you guys are just kidding.

Andy

Upvote 0

Mounts

God is Sovereign
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟7,902.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Roman Catholics have a bad reputation of doing some very bad things; therefore, I wouldn't put it past them. However, fair is fair and the story may be a hoax. It is a fact, though, that the pope tried to kill Martin Luther. I think it's safe to discern by history that the Roman Catholics literally hated the Reformers and thus such an event taking place could be very possible.

Upvote 0

calgal

Mar 25, 2003
Western MI
Visit site
✟17,475.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Mounts said:
The Roman Catholics have a bad reputation of doing some very bad things; therefore, I wouldn't put it past them. However, fair is fair and the story may be a hoax. It is a fact, though, that the pope tried to kill Martin Luther. I think it's safe to discern by history that the Roman Catholics literally hated the Reformers and thus such an event taking place could be very possible.

The stories about the Spanish actions in Holland are true and thoroughly disgusting. I do believe that in this area, the modern Catholic church has cleaned up their act.
:pray:

Upvote 0

Mounts

God is Sovereign
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟7,902.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
calgal said:
The stories about the Spanish actions in Holland are true and thoroughly disgusting. I do believe that in this area, the modern Catholic church has cleaned up their act.
:pray:
Maybe, but only to make room for more error. Now the Catholic church is accepting homosexual ministers! Not only that, it wasn't really that long ago when the Catholic preachers were raping children! I'm afraid the name Roman Catholic is defiled in my ears :(.

Upvote 0

calgal

Mar 25, 2003
Western MI
Visit site
✟17,475.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Mounts said:
Maybe, but only to make room for more error. Now the Catholic church is accepting homosexual ministers! Not only that, it wasn't really that long ago when the Catholic preachers were raping children! I'm afraid the name Roman Catholic is defiled in my ears :(.

Interestingly, Luther and Calvin started out by attempting to reform the Catholic church from within. The utter depravity they found caused them to leave the Catholic church entirely and start from scratch. Sad to see not much has changed in the last 500 years. :sigh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

john14_20

...you in me and I in you
Dec 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟1,006.00
Faith
Protestant
Ok, firstly I am a Protestant through and through, so my defence of the Catholics can not be seen as bias. Someone said earlier that the Protestants have been just as violent toward the Catholics as the Catholics have been to the Protestants. This is absolutely correct, and if you doubt this, just take a good course in Christian History. It has been going on for centuries.

I know the Catholics are allowing homosexuals to be Ministers now, but you must realsie that some Protestant denominations are also doing that. It is, by the way (IMHO), a dreadful mistake - but it is a mistake being made by both Catholics and Protestants alike.

I also have contact, in the course of my wife's work as a consellor, with many poor men who have been abused by leader's in the Protestant churches.

The Catholic church has made some dreadful mistakes, but it has also provided us with some wonderful, God-loving Priests whose vision of God we would be poorer if we never heard. It would be a tragedy if we disregarded everything that came out of the Catholic church just because some of it is wrong. And how is does that make them any different to us Protestants?

Blessings in Christ to all, Pete

Reactions: Acceptance
Upvote 0

Foundthelight

St. Peter's R.C. Church, Delhi, NY
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2003
Central New York
Visit site
✟26,728.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If you read some Reformation history you will see that much evil was done by both sides. As kings and princes became Protestant they siezed all the assets of the RC Church. They seemed, on the basis of the evidence, to be motivated by greed rather than belief. Nuns were turned out of convents with nothing but the clothes on their backs, many monks and priests were killed.

A sort of Protestant Inquisition was set up to drive out the "evils" of the RC belief. The anger, persecution, and acts of violence seemed to be about equal on both sides.

As Paul said:Ro 2:1 You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things.

Upvote 0

PreacherFergy

Sep 8, 2003
G'ville, SC
✟405.00
Faith
Christian
Whatever injustices some have claimed were done by Protestants, the wrongs done by the church of Rome towards the Protestant church greatly outnumber. If you are true to the facts and aren't biased in your judgment of the issue, you can do nothing but agree. Shall I list instance after instance to prove my assertion? Is it necessary? I'll just list one off the top of my head: There was a plot buy several Jesuits to blow King James (the overseer of the KJV) and his family up by placing several kegs of gunpowder under the stage in which they were supposed to stand. However, the Lord interveened and the collusion was found out before they could carry out their plot :prayer: . This is just one of thousands of instances.

Upvote 0

Gamecock

Oct 10, 2003
The Republic of Texas
Visit site
✟15,486.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
calgal said:
And the Inquisition in Holland was particularly brutal to the Dutch Protestants who were tortured and murdered in large numbers for simply professing faith in Christ alone. :(
The Dutch seem like such a happy people, esp. with all the klompen dancing

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.