Has the moravian church become liberal?

see u soon

Nov 20, 2011
✟7,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I was browsing through your questions and decided to join and ask one myself. :confused:
We recently left the moravian church after growing up in it. We left because of their views, so we tried various other moravian churches in the area and can't seem to find one that's conservative in their beliefs. I had a private meeting with one moravian minister that sounded like a new age guru! It made me sick to see how my church has turned out. Does any one know much about the moravian church out there?

B

bbbbbbb

Hi, I was browsing through your questions and decided to join and ask one myself. :confused:
We recently left the moravian church after growing up in it. We left because of their views, so we tried various other moravian churches in the area and can't seem to find one that's conservative in their beliefs. I had a private meeting with one moravian minister that sounded like a new age guru! It made me sick to see how my church has turned out. Does any one know much about the moravian church out there?

I have a good friend who left the Moravian Church many years ago because of its liberalism. His family opened the first tobacco shop in America in Salem, North Carolina. If you like you can PM me and I will provide some contact information for you.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,894.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

Hi, and welcome to Christian Forums!:wave:

It's my understanding that most, if not all Moravian Churches in the US are now in fellowship with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. Their Synod is also very liberal.

I also believe that many years ago, the Moravian Church adopted the "Augsburg Confession" as their Statement of Belief. Lutheran Synods such as Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, Lutheran Church Canada, and Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod continue to uphold the AC and have remained very conservative in theology. We also recognize Jan Hus as a great reformer, and recognize him as a martyr and proto-reformer.

You may wish to check out "Confessional Lutheranism"; it may be a good fit for you!:)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm of the impression that bbbbbbb is correct in saying that the Moravian Church hasn't been all that conservative for a long time. But I also have gotten the impression that it has taken a turn for the more liberal in recent days.

What a member should do is hard to say, considering that there is no other denomination that is an obvious alternative.

• Agree
Reactions: Jim West
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,894.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'm of the impression that bbbbbbb is correct in saying that the Moravian Church hasn't been all that conservative for a long time. But I also have gotten the impression that it has taken a turn for the more liberal in recent days.

What a member should do is hard to say, considering that there is no other denomination that is an obvious alternative.

Well, quite a while back, the Moravians did sign and subscribe to the Augsburg Confession, and I believe the Small Catechism. I don't know how liturgical Moravians are, but I do know that they share much of the same musical heritage as Lutherans. If one is concerned about Liberalism, one may find a good fit in the Confessional Lutheran Churches.

Upvote 0

graciesings

It is so ordered.
Mar 11, 2013
Texas
✟18,462.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The only Moravian churches I have been to have gotten... old.
As in, the church was comprised of 50 people that were 70 and up plus 10 people in their sixties and two people that looked around 50.

One of the reasons I am not interested in the Moravian churches in Texas (although I may like their theology) is that I have no way of telling what the Moravian churches will be like in 20 years. Often when conservative older members die, churches like that become very liberal.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The only Moravian churches I have been to have gotten... old.
As in, the church was comprised of 50 people that were 70 and up plus 10 people in their sixties and two people that looked around 50.

One of the reasons I am not interested in the Moravian churches in Texas (although I may like their theology) is that I have no way of telling what the Moravian churches will be like in 20 years. Often when conservative older members die, churches like that become very liberal.

You've described the average congregation in many Protestant denominations these days, not just in the case of the Moravians. On the other hand, I have a feeling that since the Moravian Church rests on a heritage that few people know anything about anymore, and it's always been a smallish denomination anyway, the likelihood of it simply merging with some other denomination in the next decade or two is high.

Meanwhile, the other denominations that are suffering from aging and declining membership are not facing such a serious challenge because their names are "household words" even among non-churchgoers and have more congregations to begin with (e.g. Episcopalians, Presbyterians, Methodists, etc.).

Upvote 0

graciesings

It is so ordered.
Mar 11, 2013
Texas
✟18,462.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You've described the average congregation in many Protestant denominations these days, not just in the case of the Moravians. On the other hand, I have a feeling that since the Moravian Church rests on a heritage that few people know anything about anymore, and it's always been a smallish denomination anyway, the likelihood of it simply merging with some other denomination in the next decade or two is high.

Meanwhile, the other denominations that are suffering from aging and declining membership are not facing such a serious challenge because their names are "household words" even among non-churchgoers and have more congregations to begin with (e.g. Episcopalians, Presbyterians, Methodists, etc.).

Yes, part of the reason I think Moravian churches are going to change a lot is because they are a small denomination that doesn't have many famous beliefs, doctrinal statements, etc.

In the LCMS (conservative Lutheran church) I have been watching members in their 40's and early 50's take over the churches when older members die off. Usually the churches they have taken over are too liberal for me to be comfortable there. One of the things I am looking for in a church is a group of at least 4 or 5 young adults who share my convictions. To me, that is almost more important than the rest of the church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jim West

Jan 18, 2018
NAZARETH
✟7,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
bbbb i would like to discuss this with you. I am starting a facebook group called conservative moravians for christ . If i am right you miss the moravian church. I too have thought about leaving it but i beleive the Lord needs Moravians and Conservative ones. I have been very dis-heartened by a letter the Unity BOard sent out chastinging President Trump about the supposed statements he made behind closed doors in a private meeting. It was based on HEARSAY and is a sin, i believe that they sent it out.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We all have learned to be alert to the dates when the posts here on CF were created, Jim. It often is the case that although the threads are still active in the sense of being accessible, the person who asked the question--and many of the people who replied--are long gone and the posts themselves date back a number of years. If you have a personal interest in the subject matter, it would probably be better to start up a new thread (or in this case, go straight to bbbbbbb with a Personal Message, since we know that he is still active).

• Agree
Reactions: Jim West
Upvote 0

Jim West

Jan 18, 2018
NAZARETH
✟7,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a good friend who left the Moravian Church many years ago because of its liberalism. His family opened the first tobacco shop in America in Salem, North Carolina. If you like you can PM me and I will provide some contact information for you.

I know alot and would be interested in a conversation with you. I am conservative and Love the Moravian CHurch. It has its problems. pleae feel free to IM me

Upvote 0

Jim West

Jan 18, 2018
NAZARETH
✟7,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I have started a FB Group called Conservative Moravians For Christ

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums