Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
The following appeared on MSN just this morning:

The Big Bang Theory Has Been Debunked?

To note, I already just posted something related recently ("How Christians Should Respond to New Space Images"). I got into a somewhat prolonged argument with one Christian who believes in the Big Bang. I don't want to restart that argument, and am therefore just posting this and signing off, once again. I post this FYI.

The James Webb Space Telescope never disproved the Big Bang. Here's how that falsehood spread.
Apparently it hasn't been debunked.

And of the other theories of origin of the universe none seems to hold up.

10 Alternatives To The Conventional Big Bang Theory - Listverse

God said let there be light - he separated the darkness from the light and he separated the firmaments.
Pictures of the big bang singularity shows the singularity began with a burst of light.
Isn't it possible God has given man a limited understanding of what occurred _ after all scripture does tell us the things which appear are not made of what they appear to be.... Hebrews 11:3

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

CMDRExorcist

Theology Explorer
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2011
Texas
Visit site
✟152,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Just a quick thought...

It might seem like semantics, but it's important to remember that the Big Bang event did not create matter or energy. Instead, it was a release of all matter and energy in the universe from a single point in space/time (the primordial singularity). Everything that has ever existed, exists now, or will exist in the future was compressed into that singularity. The event itself was a release of that energy into the cosmos (not an explosion). For me, it seems that every time astrophysicists learn something new about the CMB and the Big Bang, it aligns more and more with what we know about Genesis. God said "Let there be light..." and it all came forth.

Reactions: The Barbarian
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It might seem like semantics, but it's important to remember that the Big Bang event did not create matter or energy. Instead, it was a release of all matter and energy in the universe from a single point in space/time (the primordial singularity).

Important point. Thank you.

Reactions: CMDRExorcist
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟821,661.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The following appeared on MSN just this morning:

The Big Bang Theory Has Been Debunked?

To note, I already just posted something related recently ("How Christians Should Respond to New Space Images"). I got into a somewhat prolonged argument with one Christian who believes in the Big Bang. I don't want to restart that argument, and am therefore just posting this and signing off, once again. I post this FYI.

I kind of hope not because of the obvious apologetic benefits of a theory that suggests that the universe had a beginning (which is an essentially Christian conviction). Recent evidence seems to suggest that we do not really know one way or the other, or that the universe may be even larger than previously understood My position is that we cannot really know on all the big three current models of origins: Big Bang, Abiogenesis and Evolution

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The biggest confirmation was accidental. Two engineers at Bell Labs were trying to make the perfect microwave antenna. But try as they might, they couldn't get rid of this persistent hiss that they assumed was some kind of defect, because it came in no matter which way they pointed the antenna.

Then they realized that it must be the predicted radiation from the Big Bang. Which it is. And Engineers Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson got a Nobel for their work.

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2022
Seabeck
✟11,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Though the concept of the "singularity" has been supplanted by the concept of the Inflaton field out of which the initial components of matter [i.e. quarks and gluons as well as EM components emerged, our science seemed to come to this conclusion mainly because it mathematically cannot deal with "singularities" because they bring up things like "infinities" in contrast with null points. What is obvious is that the method utilized by God to initiate this "our" Minkowski space-time was very special indeed and well beyond our ken. I have speculated that He may have introduced Cold Dark Matter as a gravitational energy source into a true null space He willed into existence. If Cold Dark Matter is in fact a component of His heavenly paradigm, this makes some sense to me. We know the importance of cold dark matter in organizing the emergent baryonic matter [e.g. stars; then galaxies --- the large scale structures we are familiar with.] An important point here is that IF God did indeed utilize a component of His own paradigm to initiate creation of space-time, that means His paradigm: the Kingdom of Heaven is adjacent to our very physical spacetime universe. Not only that, but the physical dependence of our "component" His Universe is absolute, while His is in no way dependent on ours.
What He did in creating space-time was mainly to create TIME for our existence. He, of course does NOT contend with time; nor entropy and "all that". His paradigm; the origination component of our universe is eternal and marked by NO duration for any events therein. Therefor God [and His spiritual accompaniment] operate in a kind of seamless reality. What He wills becomes; totally and absolutely beginning to end. This means: To God, EVERYTHING has already occurred. Our entire history is played out sequentially but without duration for any single iteration. This is an impossible-to-understand concept to us because we are addicted to TIME; or at least to duration. IF this is so, it explains HOW Lucifer could have been in the Garden of Eden and exercise his damage to us and pain for God BEFORE Adam was created. Thus God MAY have dispatched Lucifer into our spacetime to play out who he was -- beginning to end times, allowing God to not only be omniscient about Humankind, but Satan as well. But Satan, being a created creature and subsequently exiled to space-time [Earth] cannot know when his end-time will be, although he has been informed. So until then, he will act with God's permission only to cause mischief. But he is handicapped by a lack of clear vision -- thank God. Satan also plays another roll: he is a Tool for God's purpose to vet "us". Satan is allowed to tempt us so that we may display who we are for our own benefit -- so we may judge ourselves and if capable prior to our own time running out, ... to repent and atone.
At any rate these are several of my conclusions after 30 years of deep study and Christian prayer. I would love to hear comments. Rejection is fine if you will permit my response. John of Seabeck--- God bless all.

Reactions: Hvizsgyak
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Isn't it possible God has given man a limited understanding of what occurred _ after all scripture does tell us the things which appear are not made of what they appear to be.... Hebrews 11:3
Not to dispute your point —I agree with it— but that's not quite what Hebrews 11:3 says. "By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible." All it says to that point is that the things that appear are not made of what is visible.

Upvote 0

Sheila Davis

Nov 18, 2020
Houston
✟65,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Not to dispute your point —I agree with it— but that's not quite what Hebrews 11:3 says. "By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible." All it says to that point is that the things that appear are not made of what is visible.
Thank you
That is exactly why I felt the need to use it. God made everything and things which appear are not made of what is visible.
To me that means whatever man thinks he knows, especially concerning the universe, even the things of the Earth - actually he doesn't. Man has it all wrong and because man will never truly know what things actually are his theories / hypotheses / scientific analogies will never be Truth.

Reactions: Lost Witness
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Thank you
That is exactly why I felt the need to use it. God made everything and things which appear are not made of what is visible.
To me that means whatever man thinks he knows, especially concerning the universe, even the things of the Earth - actually he doesn't. Man has it all wrong and because man will never truly know what things actually are his theories / hypotheses / scientific analogies will never be Truth.
Agreed, which is not to say that there isn't some truth to what man has learned, but that the substance of what little he has learned is not understood by mere creatures, stuck here in this temporal structure, that cannot see God as he is.

Look, for example, at what has been claimed by some posters on this site, that Quantum Physics shows that existence itself is caused by mere chance, or other notions to the same effect. But we know that all things were made and are sustained by God, and that, were he to withdraw his hand, we would not just cease to exist, but cease to have even existed at all. We are not, nor is the universe, anything in and of itself, except by his Word.

Upvote 0

Sheila Davis

Nov 18, 2020
Houston
✟65,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Agreed, which is not to say that there isn't some truth to what man has learned, but that the substance of what little he has learned is not understood by mere creatures, stuck here in this temporal structure, that cannot see God as he is.

Look, for example, at what has been claimed by some posters on this site, that Quantum Physics shows that existence itself is caused by mere chance, or other notions to the same effect. But we know that all things were made and are sustained by God, and that, were he to withdraw his hand, we would not just cease to exist, but cease to have even existed at all. We are not, nor is the universe, anything in and of itself, except by his Word.
I have read a dab of the theories of abiogenesis and panspermia. One thing I have found in the little bit I've read concerning quantum physics, it said by some, time doesn't exist and the Spirit / consciousness of man continues after the death of the flesh body and moves on to another realm of existence.
That is food for thought for the believer.
For me that supports scripture that says the body returns to the dust of the Earth and the spirit returns to God who gave it. Plus supports my own belief that man / and possibly the universe as we know it, is what is subjected to time, as established by God.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...by red shift. (which very oddly the article put as 'red shirt'!??)
full
(Maybe, it is an expendable theory...? :scratch:)

• Agree
Upvote 0

Ian Ferrin

Apr 29, 2013
Sierra Nevada high country
✟17,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I thought these two quotes were interesting. Re. life after death according to quantum physics, I say, who cares. Quantum physics is still the cutting edge of physics and who know where it will be in 50 years? I love science and physics and astrophysics (at least in an informed but not academic sense). One of the things I look forward to about death is seeing the universe. But my belief in life after death is from faith alone. Science never 'proves' anything. The best is ever achieves is overwhelming consensus. And even that bubble gets popped sometimes.

Re. the 2nd question I'd say, yep, that's sure what many/most quantum physicists seem to believe. But again, my faith can't be assailable by shifting scientific notions. No matter how interesting they are!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sheila Davis
Upvote 0

Jim47

Heaven Bound
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2004
Michigan
✟46,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The big bang theory explained in one sentence...

And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. - Genesis 1:3
Good reply.
I'm wondering how many foks here know that God created light before He created the sun, moon and stars? You can read right in Genesis.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ian Ferrin

Apr 29, 2013
Sierra Nevada high country
✟17,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Science never proves anything. The best it ever does is overwhelming consensus. And re. the big bang there is overwhelming consensus. As a Christian I have reconciled myself that the big bang happened 13.8 billion years ago. There are still lots of unsolved mysteries. But I'm convinced it happened and Christians need to just deal with it!

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As a Christian I have reconciled myself that the big bang happened 13.8 billion years ago.
Indeed once a person knows more about how that is thought to have unfolded, accepting it is almost tantamount to believing God created the Universe, since it shows the Universe suddenly coming into existence. We could even say. It's odd that someone imagined somehow it doesn't fit the bible, since it especially well fits the bible. Next, in verse 2 we see the Earth is a Water World...which happens it turns out additionally that scientific evidence was (finally) found to show this in 2017. And since that time, further extensive evidence for early Earth being a Water World has been found by many teams. Perhaps (maybe...) this is about as much evidence as will be allowed, in that God explicitly wants faith from us, not to merely see facts that prove God exists before having 'faith'. Hebrews 11:1 - Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status