• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Has Schizophrenia affected anyone else's ability to go to church?

Burks_Patrick

Jan 18, 2018
Estill Springs
✟15,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Hi, my name is Patrick Burks and I have schizophrenia. I developed it about 10 years ago. Up till then I was going to church quite regularly, but slowly and surely it crept up on me. I started to look at everyone else in the congregation and thinking how they wasn't living right and getting delusions that everyone was out to get me in and outside of church. I still don't go to church much because I have to battle these delusions almost everyday. I do have my Pastor as a Friend on Facebook and I send him messages from time to time asking for prayer or asking his advice on something. I just feel so guilty of not attending church like I should. I am going to school online so that is a plus for me. I just wish I could attend a physical class. I might try that during the fall semester. Don't get me wrong I am stable and on medication. I do recognize that the delusions are just that, delusions. I do wish that I could enroll in a Bible College, but I have to take classes at my local Community College. I chose History as my major, but really I would like it to be Biblical Studies or Biblical Archaeology. Has anyone else been affected by one's mental illness on church attendance?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi, my name is Patrick Burks and I have schizophrenia. I developed it about 10 years ago. Up till then I was going to church quite regularly, but slowly and surely it crept up on me. I started to look at everyone else in the congregation and thinking how they wasn't living right and getting delusions that everyone was out to get me in and outside of church. I still don't go to church much because I have to battle these delusions almost everyday. I do have my Pastor as a Friend on Facebook and I send him messages from time to time asking for prayer or asking his advice on something. I just feel so guilty of not attending church like I should. I am going to school online so that is a plus for me. I just wish I could attend a physical class. I might try that during the fall semester. Don't get me wrong I am stable and on medication. I do recognize that the delusions are just that, delusions. I do wish that I could enroll in a Bible College, but I have to take classes at my local Community College. I chose History as my major, but really I would like it to be Biblical Studies or Biblical Archaeology. Has anyone else been affected by one's mental illness on church attendance?
Yes...

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yes i got the same problem but i don't feel guilty any more for God doesn't look at Church attendance as a saving aspect but the attending of the worship services is a building up aspect of our faith. When Church doesn't cater for those who have mental illness and refuse to make the worship place safe for those who cannot attend as is, then why should we feel guilty about that?

i have asked the Church leaders many times why they don't do the Church services the Biblical way so that i would be able to attend again, they listened politely but never answered me back for they know that the New Testament Churches operated very differently than they do now and Paul in particular gives very clear instruction on how such ought to be done.

so instead of shame and guilt which i felt at first, now i struggle not to be angry and bitter with my brothers and sisters for disobeying God's word when it comes to worshiping Him publicly and for not caring about or catering for the mentally ill. Even visits to the sick non existent. So few people who love their neighbour in real life it is almost a crying shame.

Be of good courage and please let your faith in Jesus bring you what you need to survive the battles of daily life. i know Schizophrenia is a terrible illness i got it myself as well. Maybe seek out loving individual believers to worship with, that is what i try to do. Just in our homes like the early Church did as well. Homes are much safer places to worship than Church buildings that is for sure.

Peace.

Upvote 0

DavidFirth

Saved by the blood of the Lamb
Site Supporter
Nov 8, 2017
North Georgia
✟47,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This is a problem i hear more about lately. The church needs to minister to all people. These types of problems need to be addressed so that Christians get the church fellowship they need. Praying for solutions.

Upvote 0

anx66

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2016
Haverhill
✟53,564.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
I often have problems going to Church, mainly because of my residual symptoms of Schizo-effective disorder. I think 5 weeks in a row is about the maximum amount of times I have been able to attend church over the past 20 odd years. At the moment I'm in between churches.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Welcome Burks. How about Christian Leaders Institute. It is a completely free online bible collage. I am praying for your situation and have lately been discussing with others about doing a skype type of church/bible study with the many here who face these and other issues. We could all study as a group online :] If interested just PM me. Bless you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Church attendance for me is a problem because I believe people can hear what I'm thinking.
That is part of the disorder that I sometimes have problems with as well, not only just in church though, but, with anything that could be considered a medium...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Amy Cortright

Mar 30, 2018
Oshkosh
✟16,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi Patrick I am able to go to church regularly yet often times over the years sense my unset I went to church and had to leave church early or just go right away and leave, i would at those times go pay my tithes and leave because the voices where so bad, i meant to stay longer but at least in that fashion I was able to donate I guess. I would attend regularly , but many times I would go and voices would be so bad and emotional symptoms that I would feel different things and it was to hard to for to remain at church, doing those times i always worried about how i looked to other people just to show up and leave so suddenly, at times i would talk to a few members at church than rush out at a point and say i could not take it anymore I had to I was not feeling well. I pray that your situation improves.

Amy

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Are any of you...? Do you have any of these kinds of problems as well, maybe...?

Christians going to movie theaters: yay or nay?

God Bless!
How they say they want you to "find yourself" in the story...? I do that a lot, most of the time unwillingly and against my will... I've been the good guy(s) and, AND, (this is where it can get scary) I've been the bad guy(s) or the villain... I've found myself on both sides of the fence, young and old, even the dog, and animals, and even inanimate non-living things even, that are like and "entity" in themselves...

It can get very "crazy" to say the least, and I wonder if that is part of life for a scitzophrenic... I think it's all a lie or lies now, I don't think I am any of them, not really, yet I may be all of them, IDK...? All of them, yet none of them, by being all of them...

"In their thoughts, either being accused, or otherwise excused" (Romans 2:15)...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Lord, help me with my scitzophrenic mind...

With all this searching, projecting, relating, associating, identifying, in and with things I probably shouldn't...

I'm not intending to do it, I'm not doing it on purpose, it just "happens"...

I really hope this is not pride or ego... I don't feel like it is, I really don't think it is...

If they want to speak to me, then tell them to do it without any mediums, unless they're too much (of a) cowards...

Help with the fear involved, help me to not do it...

I struggle, i fight, to pull myself back, and get in my own mind again...

I really don't think I can or am going to find myself out there, in those things...

Help me Lord, and those like me, In your holy name I pray...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Lord, help me with my scitzophrenic mind...

With all this searching, projecting, relating, associating, identifying, in and with things I probably shouldn't...

I'm not intending to do it, I'm not doing it on purpose, it just "happens"...

I really hope this is not pride or ego... I don't feel like it is, I really don't think it is...

If they want to speak to me, then tell them to do it without any mediums, unless they're too much (of a) cowards...

Help with the fear involved, help me to not do it...

I struggle, i fight, to pull myself back, and get in my own mind again...

I really don't think I can or am going to find myself out there, in those things...

Help me Lord, and those like me, In your holy name I pray...

God Bless!
I will shift perspectives in stories, it's all very confusing... Can't seem to help it... What do I do (about it)...?

I will be one person or identify with one person, or thing, one minute, then the next minute, shift to another (thing, person, place, or thing)...

Then, shift again...

I'm so relieved in those moments when I'm not doing it, moments of normalcy, why can't it be that way all the time...?

Part of my problem is I don't know if It's God or the Holy Spirit doing it or trying to talk to or communicate to me in this manner, or the enemy, Satan, the Devil...

Whether it is lies or truth... I think it is the enemy doing this and trying to speak with me in this way, but, I'm just not entirely sure, and I don't want to fighting/rejecting, or calling the Holy Spirit a liar, or evil...

What do I do...?

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

The reason I include the lyrics, is for 3:45 to 3:54...?

Is that really true about a lot of us...?

I hope not, but am questioning it, cause, if it is then it would be a pride/ego issue...?

Have to think about that...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

The reason I include the lyrics, is for 3:45 to 3:54...?

Is that really true about a lot of us...?

I hope not, but am questioning it, cause, if it is then it would be a pride/ego issue...?

Have to think about that...?

God Bless!
At least I'm brave enough to consider it...

God Bless!

Upvote 0