Has God ever told any tongues-speaking believer that they are speaking gibberish

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,447.00
Faith
Christian
Let's see a bit further into this. The Moravians were reported to have been speaking in tongues;

When did the Moravians claim to speak in tongues?

John Wesley reports tongues in several places in his journal when the Holy Spirit has fallen on people he has preached to. So they had to be heretical in your opinion.

When did John Wesley claim tongues were spoken in his services?

So were the Quakers, they shook under the power of the Holy Spirit. That's why they were called Quakers. And they spoke in tongues at times. They must have been heretical.

I found that one. But one Quaker claiming to speak in tongues, is hardly evidence of tongues throughout church history!

People reported to have been speaking in strange languages in the Hebrides and Welsh Revivals, so Duncan Campbell and Evan Roberts were preaching heresy.
Or were they?

But now we are into the Twentieth Century, when Pentecostalism had already started and its influence spreading.

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,447.00
Faith
Christian
Oscarr, Talking of Jesus changing water into wine, I think I told you of when the Holy Spirit changed an old brass screw into a diamond ring. I told a pastor about it, and he said it was the devil.

Was there any video footage of the screw turning into a diamond ring? Or is this more Pentecostal hearsay?

I know it's a popular story among the prosperity gospel brigade - they also claim God turned their fillings into gold, gems fell from the ceiling of churches, and gold dust blew from the ventilation systems, etc. But what puzzles me is why would the Holy Spirit give believers luxury items such as jewelry when Paul says, “I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God”.

Reactions: Antig
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Was there any video footage of the screw turning into a diamond ring? Or is this more Pentecostal hearsay?

I know it's a popular story among the prosperity gospel brigade - they also claim God turned their fillings into gold, gems fell from the ceiling of churches, and gold dust blew from the ventilation systems, etc. But what puzzles me is why would the Holy Spirit give believers luxury items such as jewelry when Paul says, “I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God”.

I was there and so was my roommate. It was MY ring. Did the servants actually see the water turn into wine? Or were they just there when it happened.

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,447.00
Faith
Christian
Yes, though humanly speaking we cannot understand tongues, nor anyone that may be listening, Paul wants us to be able to understand and tells us to pray for the partnering gift, the gift of interpretation of tongues.

That is contrary to what Oscar says. One of you at least must be wrong.

It is only natural that some believe tongues must be for preaching to foreigners, but the most common use of tongues is for perfect prayer, and perfect praise which is given to all who believe, Mark 16:16-17.

Like being immune from deadly snake bites and drinking poison is also given to all who believe today (v18)?

Romans 8 says that we, as humans with limited knowledge, don't know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit knows. His groanings, I believe, are the quiet and sometimes urgent unctions to pray that knowledge into existence through supernatural prayer that we pray out loud to God.

The Holy Spirit's groanings are not tongues. Tongues is not mentioned in that passage. It says the Spirit's groanings cannot be uttered, so how can they be tongues? Tongues are never described as 'groaning'. Were the disciples 'groaning' at Pentecost?

Even though every believer may pray in tongues TO God, not all believers receive the ability to receive unctions in church to deliver messages in tongues FROM God. That is why at the end of 1 Corinthians 12 it asks "Do all speak in tongues, do all interpret?" The answer to those gifts is no.

The gift of tongues was prayer and praise TO God (1 Cor 14:2, 13-15), not FROM God. Nowhere in 1 Corinthians or anywhere else in scripture does it say tongues were messages FROM God.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
That is contrary to what Oscar says. One of you at least must be wrong.

Like being immune from deadly snake bites and drinking poison is also given to all who believe today (v18)?

The Holy Spirit's groanings are not tongues. Tongues is not mentioned in that passage. It says the Spirit's groanings cannot be uttered, so how can they be tongues? Tongues are never described as 'groaning'. Were the disciples 'groaning' at Pentecost?

The gift of tongues was prayer and praise TO God (1 Cor 14:2, 13-15), not FROM God. Nowhere in 1 Corinthians or anywhere else in scripture does it say tongues were messages FROM God.

In a nutshell, what was the purpose of tongues? And was it the most important gift?

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
So did you see the screw turn into a diamond ring before your very eyes?

No. Every time I had looked before, it was the brass screw; but God had told me it would be there, and not to worry. 15 months later, on the day God specified, it had changed. There was the ring, and the screw was gone. I just looked too early.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,447.00
Faith
Christian

Why I am not surprised.

Every time I had looked before, it was the brass screw; but God had told me it would be there, and not to worry. 15 months later, on the day God specified, it had changed. There was the ring, and the screw was gone. I just looked too early.

So there was a screw you kept in a draw (or wherever) then one day there was a diamond ring in its place. But you never actually saw it change.

• Agree
Reactions: Antig
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Why I am not surprised.

So there was a screw you kept in a draw (or wherever) then one day there was a diamond ring in its place. But you never actually saw it change.

Did the servants?

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
When did the Moravians claim to speak in tongues?
When did John Wesley claim tongues were spoken in his services?
I found that one. But one Quaker claiming to speak in tongues, is hardly evidence of tongues throughout church history!
But now we are into the Twentieth Century, when Pentecostalism had already started and its influence spreading.
If the Church histories that you have read were written by Cessationist historians, I am not surprised. Yes, I am not surprised that Pentecostalism's influence spread so that the numbers of souls won to Christ turning into Bible-believing, long term church members, missionaries going into foreign fields and winning souls of their own, increased more than all the non-Pentecostal churches put together. A lot of the criticism then, as it is today, comes from people who are envious that Pentecostals and Charismatics are adding more folk to their churches than their own, who the numbers in their own churches are declining as the oldies die off, and the remainder who sit like wooden Indians in the snoring and non-snoring sections of their church, sleeping through boring, academic, powerless sermons are slowing rusting away in their spiritual lives. It is easier to cool down a fanatic than it is to warm up a corpse!

But I need to say that those who run down the Pentecostal movement are relatively few, compared to the greater number of non-Pentecostal churches that are alive in their own way and who are passionate for souls, preach repentance, full of Bible-believers who love God's Word and who are always concerned about their level of holiness before the Lord. I don't want to make the mistake of tarring all non-Pentecostal churches with the same brush, otherwise I would have to criticise my own church (that I am actually leading) because it too is non-Charismatic. I am the only Charismatic person in my church, but the rest of them genuinely love the Lord and would never think of criticising me, or calling me a false teacher, or running down Charismatic churches.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Why I am not surprised.
The blind man healed by Jesus was questioned in the same way by the Pharisees, and when he stuck to his guns concerning the miracle that had happened to him, they called him a sinner and threw him out of the synagogue. Same spirit as the one behind your criticism of her miracle. I can't explain it, and neither can you, but it happened, in the same way that my ginger cat hooked my lost keys from under my upright freezer. I didn't see it happened - all I saw were the keys in the middle of the floor of the laundry. I could quite easily have said that an angel came down and hooked the keys out so I could find them. Who's to say it didn't happen that way? I just chose the cat because because he has a habit of hooking cockroaches out of their hiding places. But it was a miracle to me because the keys would have been so far under the freezer, and so how would the cat have known they were there? And although there are other items under the freezer, he has never hooked them out.

So, be honest! Say that you don't believe in miracles like that and leave it at that, because just because you don't believe in miracles, doesn't mean that they can happen, and in unusual ways.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The current charismatic movement over emphasizing tongues is detracting from true Christianity
I have been involved in the Pentecostal movement (12 years as an active member of a Pentecostal church) and 38 years associated with Pentecostal organisations while a member and elder of a Presbyterian church. I have heard all the prominent Pentecostal speakers and teacher who have visited New Zealand, and have been fully immersed in the basic teaching of the Pentecostal movement. In all that time I have seen that the importance of saving lost souls, repentance, love for God's Word, witnessing to the unsaved, importance of holy living, hearing God's voice through His Word, loving our brothers and sisters in Christ, knowing where we stand in Christ, having times of praise and worship to the Lord. 99% of all the teaching that I have ever heard over 50 years of associating with Pentecostalism have been on the above topics. I think I have heard only about 3 or 4 actual teaching sessions on the gift of tongues by comparison. If you call that an over-emphasis on tongues, then I think you need to examine Pentecostal theology a little more closely.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Not only is being 'slain in the Spirit' unbiblical, it is anti-biblical:

• The Holy Spirit would not cause anyone to lose control of themselves, when one of the fruits of the Spirit is self control.

• Paul commanded our services to be decent and in order. Is it really "decent and in order" to have people strewn all over the floor in church.

• Then there is the obvious risk of injury. Many people have been injured in these church antics. Churches have even been sued and ordered to pay compensation. How could it ever be the will of God that a believer can possibly be hurt in a worship service as a result of His activity?

• Seeing as there is no scriptural justification for this activity, the church will inevitably be divided. Yet according to scripture division is exactly what God seeks to avoid, so it is hard to believe that He would now introduce such a divisive manifestation without Scriptures to clearly support it.

Pentecostal hearsay is not proof. If hearsay is not good enough for the courts to be accepted as evidence then why should it good enough for me? What is acceptable evidence would be peer-reviewed independent studies by well-respected experts. And those experts say it is not a language of any kind.
So you are saying that every movement throughout church history that had people falling down in the Spirit were false? You would have to condemn the Methodists, Quakers, Presbyterians, Baptists, Jonathan Edwards, Charles Finney, the Great Awakening, the Hebrides and Welsh Revivals, because they all experienced people falling down. Your comments are on the level of "Everyone is wrong, except you and me and I am not sure about you!"

As to tongues appearing "right throughout Church history"? Who are you trying to kid. Church history demonstrates that tongues ceased.
Get a life! Augustine in the Fifth Century reported tongues happening then, and later on the established Church, although teaching that if ordinary church members spoke in tongues they were demon possessed, if members of the eccesiastical hierarchy did, it was an evidence of sainthood! If that was the teaching hundreds of years after the last Apostle died, then the speaking of tongues must have still been practiced.

The Montanists were declared heretics and expelled from the church because they were false teachers and false prophets. They taught the heresy of modalism, and made bizarre claims such as Christ was sleeping with the women, and there were eight heavens, etc. And they made false prophecies and their prophets were known for sinful behavior (one of the tests of a false prophet).
They were declared heretics by the established church which had gone into corruption through formalism, decline in holiness, and pagan influences. Montanus sought to bring back the church as it was in the book of Acts. It was only years after he died that the movement went into error as they themselves started to go away from the foundations of the gospel. Tertullian joined the movement while it was going on for God, and left it only when it started to stray off into wacky doctrines. It is the same with the Anabaptists. While the founder was still alive, it was a sound, Bible believing, soul winning movement, but a couple of generations later, it had also gone into weird and wonderful doctrines that discredited the movement. I am the first to acknowledge that some areas of the Pentecostal movement have gone the same way, because when people get away from the foundations of the Gospel and sound doctrine, history repeats itself. It doesn't mean that Pentecostal theology in itself is unsound, but when people get into formalism, and, yes, there is a type of Pentecostal "formalism" where people start to do stuff because it is "the thing to do", instead of being truly motivated by the Holy Spirit.

In that case your original argument is moot. Observers would also have never known she was pregnant before they married to start with, so would never have made the accusation.
So, in the eyes of the observers of the time, she would have been just an ordinary married woman who was pregnant with her first child. Nothing more.

Then your argument is again moot. If nobody knew Jesus performed the miracle then how could a Pharisee accuse Jesus of bringing in wine and so accuse him of encouraging drunkenness. Not that there was any evidence of drunkenness anyway, certainly no more than any other wedding. Drinking wine is what people do at the wedding meal.
I was putting myself in the shoes of a strict Pharisee who had heard about the event. And the Gospel writer would not have given every detail of what went on at the wedding. Those people were just the same as anyone today who attends a wedding. Any wedding without alcohol usually falls a bit flat, and the Cana wedding was falling flat because the wine had run out. Jesus turned a number of very large pottery jars of water into wine, so there was a large quantity of wine produced and it was just as alcoholic as modern wine. There was no Temperance Union controlling that wedding!

So did they also accuse Moses of being a magician for parting the Red Sea, and Isaiah of operating through a demon because he raised the widow's son?
Any Pharisee who made that accusation about Moses would have been thrown out for blasphemy. The parting of the Red Sea was one of the greatest remembered and revered miracles of the Jewish faith. And you show a lack of knowledge concerning your second point, because it was not Isaiah who raised the widow's son, and I do not see anything in the Scriptural record that the guy who did it was accused of having a demon.

So, is that all you have got to try and refute my views? The cracks are starting to show. You need a bit more training in Biblical and Historical scholarship to improve your debates! :)

Upvote 0

Antig

Dec 19, 2017
Dublin
✟8,390.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No. Every time I had looked before, it was the brass screw; but God had told me it would be there, and not to worry. 15 months later, on the day God specified, it had changed. There was the ring, and the screw was gone. I just looked too early.

You have been onwned on that my friend! Big time!

Upvote 0

Antig

Dec 19, 2017
Dublin
✟8,390.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Who is to say though, that tongues does not come from dark places? Could it actually be evil forces at work trying to take away followers of Christ?

For me its a VERY grey area indeed. One that i myself feel too afraid to try to step into. Oscar knows that i want the Holy Spirit massively in my life and indeed, i welcome the Holy Spirit into my very being.

Yes, the Catholic Church has a Charismatic section but i just feel uncomfortable with it.

Upvote 0