Has God ever told any tongues-speaking believer that they are speaking gibberish

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I believe the bible, not “testimonies” of people who have a system of “religious” beliefs that are unrealistic.
I believe the Bible too!
I also believe testimonies from good people who also believe the Bible.
I would never accuse a fellow Christian of being a drunk without positive proof.

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,347.00
Faith
Christian
It says that those who live like that, not experiencing a one-off manifestation of laughter in a meeting. So, are you saying that Pentecostal and Charismatic believers live in the deeds of the flesh and therefore will not inherit the kingdom of God?

Gal 5:19-21 lists various "acts of the flesh". Then it says those who "live like this" (ie whose lives are dominated by such behavior) will not inherit the kingdom of God. Such lives are characteristic of unbelievers.

Although born again believers are given a new nature, they can still fall into such sins. For example the Corinthians were guilty of sexual immorality, discord, dissensions and factions (from that list). But Paul still called them his brothers and sisters.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
+Oscar Dude, you said you were presbyterian, then you said you were pentacostal . . what are you?
maybe you should try AA?
Be careful. I suggest you consult the forum rules about flaming and goading. You have already accused my friend of being drunk, and now you are implying that I have a drinking problem and need to go to AA. Do it again and face the consequences.

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,347.00
Faith
Christian
So, you choose to ignore the thousands of testimonies as to the continuance of the supernatural gifts of the Spirit, including tongues and healing throughout Church history.

Church history shows that tongues ceased, not continued. God still heals but not via a person with the gift of healing.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Gal 5:19-21 lists various "acts of the flesh". Then it says those who "live like this" (ie whose lives are dominated by such behavior) will not inherit the kingdom of God. Such lives are characteristic of unbelievers.

Although born again believers are given a new nature, they can still fall into such sins. For example the Corinthians were guilty of sexual immorality, discord, dissensions and factions (from that list). But Paul still called them his brothers and sisters.
If you read it right, only one person in the church was sexually immoral, and only some were prescribing who they were going to follow. They were nothing like the description Paul gave in Galatians.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Church history shows that tongues ceased, not continued. God still heals but not via a person with the gift of healing.
But the decline (not cessation) was not God's doing at all.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you accept that the Great Awakening, Hebrides and Welsh Revivals were genuine works of the Holy Spirit?

What a dodge, now let me ask you a question..do you believe the answer to your question one way or another is really going to change what I said? If the answer is no, then why ask? What he is doing is simply not biblical, and those that promote it like is happening here, are responsible for perpetuating these actions by him and others. They do it because you are impressed.

That was much like the question in OP, it means nothing to subject.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,347.00
Faith
Christian
I have been in meetings where people have laughed until their stomachs hurt. We could have stopped, but we didn't want to. We loved and enjoyed every minute of it,

That says it all. It is all about self gratification. Proof that it is a work of the flesh.

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,347.00
Faith
Christian
If you read it right, only one person in the church was sexually immoral, and only some were prescribing who they were going to follow. They were nothing like the description Paul gave in Galatians.

But they were still believers despite committing those 'acts of the flesh' in Gal 5.

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,347.00
Faith
Christian
But the decline (not cessation) was not God's doing at all.

According to the church fathers they ceased. There were reports of 'bastard utterances' from heretical groups such as the Montanists, ie the same natural phenomenon of the flesh we see today, not genuine tongues.

We have already dealt with your theory about them ceasing because of formalized services.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have to wonder what would happen if one were driving down the interstate a 80mph and suddenly got caught up in the spirit?

Did anyone ever answer my question if or not your church rolls on the floor too? I was as respectful as possible with it.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
There is nothing of the Holy Spirit in that...

And the fruit of the Spirit is......self control. Not rolling around in uncontrollable fits of hysterical laughter.

I refuse to sit in the seat of scoffers. That's called the fear of the Lord. If it is not of God, no one will get saved, and it will stop on its own.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
. . lady your responses cause me to question your sobriety. Are you sober? Tit 2:3
. . So tell me, why did Paul leave Trophimus at Miletum? 2 Tim 4:20

I don't respect blatant unbelief. I respect those who seek God with ALL their hearts, and receive the joy of the Lord. Why some of the posters don't have a conscience and think they can mock and question God's movements is baffling to me. I'm surprised they are not struck by lightening, but God will have His day. I'm just thankful I don't physically associate with mockers. They are draining enough on forums, but then I have those who are filled with the Spirit on here as well, and long distance friendships are developing.

• Prayers
Reactions: Waggles
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I believe the bible, not “testimonies” of people who have a system of “religious” beliefs that are unrealistic.

Unrealistic? You mean like changing water into wine? Or a brass screw into a diamond ring?

Upvote 0