Has God ever taken away talent (for good reason)?

likedanielsang

Sep 30, 2022
Arizona
✟7,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Of course everything God does is ultimately for good, but I wonder if there has ever been a case where God created someone with a special destiny/purpose in mind but later "revoked" their ability to do so. For example, giving someone musical talent, but then taking it away maybe because they abused it and made sinful secular music, or similarly with artistic ability, athletic ability, etc.

I looked my question up on the internet and it seems like the answer I'm getting is overall a no and they say it's because God creates us individually with a unique purpose in mind and wouldn't take away a talent we've been blessed with, especially if he could foresee us abusing it in our lives or whatnot. I'm asking out of pure curiosity since in the Bible, he has done things like blind people or make them unable to speak (forgot what specific stories these happened in) as punishment. I'm aware that God performs miraculous things still today - countless stories of miraculous healings, including people I've personally known being cured of severe illness like cancer - but I can't say I've heard much about God punishing people in particular, and I wonder about whether he can take away people's talents.

I'm curious whether he would do it if someone asked for it to be taken away; for example, what if someone was given such an extraordinary talent that was in such high demand that they were forced to serve somehow like an exceptional artist forced to design and paint this and that, so much they had no time to themselves or for family or God most importantly - could they ask God to take away their talent? This is just a wild hypothetical as of course God could find many other ways to take them out of their ordeal, but just for example.

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You cannot put God in a box and say that He always does one thing and never does another. We can observe His tendencies, but He is not obligated to maintain them. An internet "consensus" cannot change that.
Put Your Trust (In The Hands Of Jesus), Chris Christian (1983)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Techo

Supporter
Feb 24, 2023
Melbourne
✟45,399.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Well...

Rom 11:29 For the free gifts (charisma) and calling of God are without repentance.

It's taken a bit out of context... the passages either side of this verse are referring more to salvation and mercy but... the word used for gifts, in the Greek, is charisma and this is lines up with the Gifts of the Spirit so... might be relevant.

Upvote 0