Has Anyone Visited Hagia Sophia in Istanbul?

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's on my bucket list. I'm a history nut, and once considered focusing on Byzantine history.
Same here! I did some research in college but I decided not to go to grad school right away. But if I do go back, Byzantine history is likely to be a portion of my focus

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

quaternion

ordinary
Apr 18, 2020
imaginary
✟17,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Same here! I did some research in college but I decided not to go to grad school right away. But if I do go back, Byzantine history is likely to be a portion of my focus

Cool. Any particular aspect you like the most?

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Cool. Any particular aspect you like the most?
To use modern terms, church and state interactions. I did one research project in college comparing Ambrose of Milan and Gregory the Theologian, and their views on the emperor’s place in relation to the bishops. And I did my senior thesis on Liudprand of Cremona (an Italian bishop and right hand man of emperor Otto the Great) and his trips to Constantinople, looking at his views on the papacy vs the Holy Roman Emperor vs the Byzantine emperor

I took a class on the crusades and that was really interesting as well, learning about how the crusaders set up governments and bishoprics in Outremer/the Holy Land, interactions with the Islamic leaders, etc

What about you?

Upvote 0

quaternion

ordinary
Apr 18, 2020
imaginary
✟17,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To use modern terms, church and state interactions. I did one research project in college comparing Ambrose of Milan and Gregory the Theologian, and their views on the emperor’s place in relation to the bishops. And I did my senior thesis on Liudprand of Cremona (an Italian bishop and right hand man of emperor Otto the Great) and his trips to Constantinople, looking at his views on the papacy vs the Holy Roman Emperor vs the Byzantine emperor

I took a class on the crusades and that was really interesting as well, learning about how the crusaders set up governments and bishoprics in Outremer/the Holy Land, interactions with the Islamic leaders, etc

What about you?

Close to yours. My historical interests are the intersection of church, culture, and education. I was fascinated by Greek myth as a kid ... not necessarily the most Christian of pursuits - but it led to an interest in how Christianity impacted the world around it and vice-versa along with the means of transmitting culture. For the Byzantines I'm interested in how the Latin empire transformed into a Greek empire and what that meant for the church. Similarly, I'm interested in what happened after the Ottoman conquest.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Close to yours. My historical interests are the intersection of church, culture, and education. I was fascinated by Greek myth as a kid ... not necessarily the most Christian of pursuits - but it led to an interest in how Christianity impacted the world around it and vice-versa along with the means of transmitting culture. For the Byzantines I'm interested in how the Latin empire transformed into a Greek empire and what that meant for the church. Similarly, I'm interested in what happened after the Ottoman conquest.
That is interesting. I used to read a bunch of Greek myth stuff - some of it was the modern fiction (Percy Jackson books), but I was also interested in the “actual” stuff as well. I think cultural shifts and developments are really interesting, both in how Christianity was changed/“flavored” (for lack of a better word) by the existing cultural norms, and how Christianity altered the culture.

Latin vs Greek sounds like an interesting topic as well. I had never really thought about that. Around the time of, say, Christ and the New Testament writings, do you know if Greek was spoken through the whole empire? Obviously Latin would have been spoken too, but now I’m considering the fact that St Paul wrote to the Roman church in Greek. And it wasn’t until Tertullian, I think, that we had a Latin church father (albeit one who later fell away into heresy)... hm...

I don’t know much about the eastern world during the time of the Ottomans. That time period, I mostly just know about the reformation (former Lutheran, so it was kinda obligatory for me to learn haha)

Upvote 0