Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Have you ever put baking soda along the borders to your flower beds? I read that it keeps the grass out. However, if you let your grass grow, the seeds would probably blow into the bed. Has anyone been successful with baking soda?

• Informative
Reactions: *LILAC

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟457,587.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have you ever put baking soda along the borders to your flower beds? I read that it keeps the grass out. However, if you let your grass grow, the seeds would probably blow into the bed. Has anyone been successful with baking soda?
I've never heard that it keeps grass out but that it's supposed to keep ants away..

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I've never heard that it keeps grass out but that it's supposed to keep ants away..

Speaking of ants, I really had a problem with them year after year in my kitchen. I bought ant traps but they continued to come in. One year I poured vinegar behind the A/C unit to kill the weeds back there. No more ants!

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Speaking of ants, I really had a problem with them year after year in my kitchen. I bought ant traps but they continued to come in. One year I poured vinegar behind the A/C unit to kill the weeds back there. No more ants!

That is awesome to know.

:oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You could make a fortune with that remedy.

Nah, it's already on the internet. I love spending hours on the internet. When we were kids we read the encyclopedia which often disappointed us because it didn't cover enough topics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟457,587.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nah, it's already on the internet. I love spending hours in the internet. When we were kids we read the encyclopedia which often disappointed us because it didn't cover enough topics.
Yep! I discovered vinegar can kill weeds eons ago! Along with precious potted plants that autistic son decided to spray, not realizing he was using vinegar water to spray with! :swoon:

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Yep! I discovered vinegar can kill weeds eons ago! Along with precious potted plants that autistic son decided to spray, not realizing he was using vinegar water to spray with! :swoon:

OOPS! We lived in an apartment when Kennedy was elected. My mom was trying to carry in groceries from a taxi cab, and one of the paper bags slipped out of her grasp. A glass vinegar bottle broke and lo, and behold, we had dead grass the next day. I don't think my husband was autistic, but he did some pathetic things with sprays and weed eaters.

Reactions: *LILAC
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hiep

Jan 17, 2020
watertown
✟104,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I haven't tried anything like that seems good to know.

Upvote 0

Hazelnut

Feb 27, 2020
Kansas
✟9,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Hey. Just want to mention that methods differ depending on ant type. At first, they all are somehow attracted to oils and sugars, especially sugar ants. But species like carpenter ants can literally destroy anything organic, this includes not only aging wood but meat, seeds and plants as well. This article and this thread say that baking soda will work as a repellent for a while but they would keep damaging your garden and other property. A proper trap is the only solution because it should kill the ant queen which is the main source of problems.
As for weed control, I wouldn't advise using it because you might harm other plants. Use other natural ingredients like cinnamon for this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0