Has anyone read St. Ignatius Brianchaninov’s book “The Field”?

Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If so, what did you like about it?

Should it be read before “The Arena”, by him?
I have, and I found it to be so packed full of spiritual wisdom that I ordered several hard copies of it to give as gifts. To my dismay, those who I shared these with "struggled" with it. It could be on account of the varying degrees to which we have achieved spiritual understanding. "The Arena", is what most of us were exposed to, long before "The Field", because this was only recently translated into English, so It can be read first and may give you an appreciation for his work that may help you to understand the value of "The Field".

From "The Field", I especially liked his treatment of "The Beatitudes".

Upvote 0

peregrinus2017

Jun 17, 2017
British Columbia
✟217,368.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am slowly working my way through it. There's a lot of meat in this book, so I have been taking it bit by bit. I have been reading a couple of books my priest suggested, as someone just coming into the church, and they are fine, but pretty simple. I am finding this book quite inspiring.

Upvote 0

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have, and I found it to be so packed full of spiritual wisdom that I ordered several hard copies of it to give as gifts. To my dismay, those who I shared these with "struggled" with it. It could be on account of the varying degrees to which we have achieved spiritual understanding. "The Arena", is what most of us were exposed to, long before "The Field", because this was only recently translated into English, so It can be read first and may give you an appreciation for his work that may help you to understand the value of "The Field".

From "The Field", I especially liked his treatment of "The Beatitudes".

What is his “treatment” of The Beatitudes?

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What is his “treatment” of The Beatitudes?
It is a deep commentary on the spiritual meaning of the beatitudes, in which he brilliantly ties them all together, progressively working from the first through the last, revealing how each naturally leads, or gives birth to the next as we are being transformed by the power of God.

Upvote 0

peregrinus2017

Jun 17, 2017
British Columbia
✟217,368.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What do you find so inspiring about it?

I have to say that it is one of the first "modern" Orthodox books that I have read that has as a whole really spoke to me. It has a lot of beauty and depth, and the way he writes flows in a way that holds my attention and helps me understand and desire what he speaks of. I'm not sure if I am explaining this well, basically how he writes works for me. For example, I tried reading St. John of Kronstadts My life in Christ. Didn't work. I think it is one of those books to pick up, open somewhere, read that bit and take it away to digest. Or maybe I'm not ready for it. This book however I find very good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have to say that it is one of the first "modern" Orthodox books that I have read that has as a whole really spoke to me. It has a lot of beauty and depth, and the way he writes flows in a way that holds my attention and helps me understand and desire what he speaks of. I'm not sure if I am explaining this well, basically how he writes works for me. For example, I tried reading St. John of Kronstadts My life in Christ. Didn't work. I think it is one of those books to pick up, open somewhere, read that bit and take it away to digest. Or maybe I'm not ready for it. This book however I find very good.

Thank you for your insight. It comes in the mail for me tomorrow, so I look forward to starting it!

Upvote 0