Has anyone read Jesus: Fallen?

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
I would like to read it, too. It was interesting to hear him mention that his primary intended audience was initially "those few Eastern Orthodox theologians who have followed in the footsteps of their Western colleagues, accepting a fallen Christ," as it was in the East where I first heard the notion: granted my Western experience was mainly limited to Catholic theology and not Protestant. Does anyone know when this particular POV came to prominence? He mentions a ruckus caused when Met. Ware mentioned it in a lecture, for instance, though I do not suppose he is solely responsible for promulgating it.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
What? Which western churches think Jesus was fallen? That's a new one for me.

As a clarifier, I hope you realize the orthodox churches sometimes have a reputation for slicing theological issues paper thin and quibbling over minutiae. As soon as I saw references to different "isms" in the link, I began to wonder if this is an example of such.

Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
As a clarifier, I hope you realize the orthodox churches sometimes have a reputation for slicing theological issues paper thin and quibbling over minutiae. As soon as I saw references to different "isms" in the link, I began to wonder if this is an example of such.

The Byzantine Empire was ground zero for the uprising of the great heresies and the Orthodox Church remembers the destruction, both physical and spiritual that came from them. We don't take the mangling of the faith lightly as a result. It's understandable that the Protestant world would look at us and see us "quibbling over minutiae," but the opposite side of that is the extreme pluralism that you see among Protestant denominations. The old heresies (Nestorianism, Modalism, even Arianism) have made a large come back as a result of Protestants NOT quibbling over "minutiae." Pull a small thread out of the faith and the tapestry unravels. That is why our faith is Catholic....meaning "whole." There is nothing lacking.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The Byzantine Empire was ground zero for the uprising of the great heresies and the Orthodox Church remembers the destruction, both physical and spiritual that came from them. We don't take the mangling of the faith lightly as a result. It's understandable that the Protestant world would look at us and see us "quibbling over minutiae," but the opposite side of that is the extreme pluralism that you see among Protestant denominations. The old heresies (Nestorianism, Modalism, even Arianism) have made a large come back as a result of Protestants NOT quibbling over "minutiae." Pull a small thread out of the faith and the tapestry unravels. That is why our faith is Catholic....meaning "whole." There is nothing lacking.

I realize my comment was provocative. Still, it was only meant to explain how the Orthodox are viewed from the outside - justified or not. Honestly, I don't see that it needs to be taken as a pejorative. There was a time when I loved the minutiae - I still do in some respects. As long as it doesn't become Pharisaic, I don't really see the harm.

Next, I don't take responsibility for pluralism. I detest it just as much as you do.

Finally, I would still like my question answered. What western churches have a theology of a fallen Jesus? The reason for my comment on minutiae is that I wonder if it is something actually proclaimed by western churches or if it is a polemic charge used against western churches.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I realize my comment was provocative. Still, it was only meant to explain how the Orthodox are viewed from the outside - justified or not. Honestly, I don't see that it needs to be taken as a pejorative. There was a time when I loved the minutiae - I still do in some respects. As long as it doesn't become Pharisaic, I don't really see the harm.

Next, I don't take responsibility for pluralism. I detest it just as much as you do.

Finally, I would still like my question answered. What western churches have a theology of a fallen Jesus? The reason for my comment on minutiae is that I wonder if it is something actually proclaimed by western churches or if it is a polemic charge used against western churches.

Surely you're not suggesting that we Orthodox are the type to "strain out a gnat, only to swallow a camel"?

I don't know of any Catholic or more traditional Protestant Churches that teach a fallen Jesus. But there may be a few teachings and beliefs of this sort within the various Christian sects after the Reformation.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I don't know of any Catholic or more traditional Protestant Churches that teach a fallen Jesus. But there may be a few teachings and beliefs of this sort within the various Christian sects after the Reformation.

OK. I don't know of any that would teach such a doctrine either, so I was just curious. What is Hatzidakis talking about, then?

Surely you're not suggesting that we Orthodox are the type to "strain out a gnat, only to swallow a camel"?

Wouldn't it be against the rules of the forum for me to suggest such a thing? But seriously, no, that's not where I was going.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
OK. I don't know of any that would teach such a doctrine either, so I was just curious. What is Hatzidakis talking about, then?

I think he was referring to particular theological scholars (of Western Christian influence and background) who were writing things about Christ that he thinks are erroneous.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I think he was referring to particular theological scholars (of Western Christian influence and background) who were writing things about Christ that he thinks are erroneous.

Uh, OK. I guess I would have to read the paper in more depth. I thought maybe someone knew more specifics.

I guess I just don't like the implications behind the phrase "Western Christian influence". If by "western" one means Greek influence in various Platonist, Aristotelian, or Thomistic forms, then, yes, I would agree that is the wrong direction to go. But ... nuts, I tried phrasing the second half of this sentence several different ways, but I think this forum just isn't the place for me to comment. Suffice to say I expect we disagree on a few things.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Uh, OK. I guess I would have to read the paper in more depth. I thought maybe someone knew more specifics.

I guess I just don't like the implications behind the phrase "Western Christian influence". If by "western" one means Greek influence in various Platonist, Aristotelian, or Thomistic forms, then, yes, I would agree that is the wrong direction to go. But ... nuts, I tried phrasing the second half of this sentence several different ways, but I think this forum just isn't the place for me to comment. Suffice to say I expect we disagree on a few things.

We're a pretty diverse thinking group who disagrees on a few things amongst ourselves. By "western" is usually meant Roman Catholicism and the various reformation Churches, in contrast with the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox Churches.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We're a pretty diverse thinking group who disagrees on a few things amongst ourselves.

For instance, I recall an instance where several Orthodox became deadlocked after a three week long debate over who would ultimately emerge victorious in a fair fight: T-Rex or Tricerotops.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums