Has anyone noticed the times Russia has taken land from Ukraine?

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
2014 - They take Crimea from Ukraine - Obama
2022 - They invade Ukraine - Biden

It sometime feels like they sat back and waited for four years to do anything.

Both Obama and Biden are notoriously weak. In both Presidents, Russia saw something that didn't stop them from invading another country.

During eight years of former President Barack Obama's weakness towards Russia, the country invaded Ukraine, annexed Crimea, propped up Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, and interfered in the 2016 election.​
At the beginning of his administration, Obama and his administration were eager to "reset" the United State's relationship with Russia. The reset began with the infamous photo of former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton presenting Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov with a red "reset" button in 2009. One of Obama's first foreign policy decisions was to scrap missile defense in Poland and the Czech Republic, which prompted celebration in Moscow.​
In addition to scrapping missile defense, Obama announced in 2010 a historic Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START) treaty with Russia. The agreement was supposed to reduce the number of nuclear weapons held by the United States and Russia by a third. Over the course of the Obama administration, the Washington Free Beacon reported numerous violations of the START treaty by Russia as early as 2012.​

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟838,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
2014 - They take Crimea from Ukraine - Obama
2022 - They invade Ukraine - Biden

It sometime feels like they sat back and waited for four years to do anything.

Both Obama and Biden are notoriously weak. In both Presidents, Russia saw something that didn't stop them from invading another country.

During eight years of former President Barack Obama's weakness towards Russia, the country invaded Ukraine, annexed Crimea, propped up Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, and interfered in the 2016 election.​
At the beginning of his administration, Obama and his administration were eager to "reset" the United State's relationship with Russia. The reset began with the infamous photo of former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton presenting Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov with a red "reset" button in 2009. One of Obama's first foreign policy decisions was to scrap missile defense in Poland and the Czech Republic, which prompted celebration in Moscow.​
In addition to scrapping missile defense, Obama announced in 2010 a historic Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START) treaty with Russia. The agreement was supposed to reduce the number of nuclear weapons held by the United States and Russia by a third. Over the course of the Obama administration, the Washington Free Beacon reported numerous violations of the START treaty by Russia as early as 2012.​

This argument doesn't make sense given that Trump was buddies with Putin and positioned himself as anti-NATO. If Putin's decision to invade were based on who was president, then there was not a better time to invade than under Trump. This sounds like GOP partisan rhetoric. The fact this is coming from the "free beacon" only confirms my suspicion lol. ^_^

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This argument doesn't make sense given that Trump was buddies with Putin and positioned himself as anti-NATO. If Putin's decision to invade were based on who was president, then there was not a better time to invade than under Trump. This sounds like GOP partisan rhetoric. The fact this is coming from the "free beacon" only confirms my suspicion lol. ^_^

Ding ding ding - we have a winner -

Putin only acted against Ukraine during Obama and Biden and not Trump.

Why not? - Why did Putin wait until Obama and Biden held the office? Is it because of their weakness as noted numerous places? This is not rhetoric - it is fact shown in history.

The Obama administration still has the opportunity to send a strong message to Vladimir Putin to punish Moscow for Russia’s seizure of Crimea from Ukraine. Indeed, President Obama would do well to listen to the advice of Sen. Marco Rubio who outlined eight steps the United States should take in response to the crisis. But it’s probably too late to preserve the territorial integrity of Ukraine from a predatory Russia.​
As he did in Georgia in 2008, Putin counted on both America and Europe being too weak and irresolute to stop him from aggression carried on in his own back yard, even if it meant violating international law by carrying out a unilateral partition of Ukraine. At this moment, there’s little reason to believe that calculation was incorrect.​

Look at this monring - Putin will not even meet with Biden:

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟838,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ding ding ding - we have a winner -

Putin only acted against Ukraine during Obama and Biden and not Trump.

Why not? - Why did Putin wait until Obama and Biden held the office? Is it because of their weakness as noted numerous places? This is not rhetoric - it is fact shown in history.

The Obama administration still has the opportunity to send a strong message to Vladimir Putin to punish Moscow for Russia’s seizure of Crimea from Ukraine. Indeed, President Obama would do well to listen to the advice of Sen. Marco Rubio who outlined eight steps the United States should take in response to the crisis. But it’s probably too late to preserve the territorial integrity of Ukraine from a predatory Russia.​
As he did in Georgia in 2008, Putin counted on both America and Europe being too weak and irresolute to stop him from aggression carried on in his own back yard, even if it meant violating international law by carrying out a unilateral partition of Ukraine. At this moment, there’s little reason to believe that calculation was incorrect.​

Hmm. You got me there; good reason will never trump partisan commitments. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟838,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Biden talks tough - Putin will not even talk to him - that is how much respect and influence Biden has with the man.

Who cares who Putin, a tyrant if there ever was one, respects? Okay, Trump does.

The reality is that the Biden administration, Congress, and the Senate have been arming and supporting Ukraine, who in turn are roundly whipping the Russians. You know who looks weak? Putin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The reality is that the Biden administration, Congress, and the Senate have been arming and supporting Ukraine, who in turn are roundly whipping the Russians. You know who looks weak? Putin.
Yes, we are sending billions is aid. I think it is right. But why was it needed with Obama and Biden but not Trump?

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟838,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, we are sending billions is aid. I think it is right. But why was it needed with Obama and Biden but not Trump?
I don't know, but I think the argument proposed in this thread is flawed for the reasons I gave in the first post. It could have been more advantageous for Putin had he made his move during Trump's presidency. I doubt we would have given this much support.

Keep in mind, Putin was building up for war in the Spring of 2021. Maybe he was counting on Trump to win. Maybe he didn't care who won. Maybe he's just a megalomaniac who assumed it didn't matter who the US president was because he knew the threat of nuclear war would probably keep us out, and he assumed wrongly that he could just waltz in and take over Ukraine.

I get wanting to make Democrat administrations look as bad as possible, it's not unexpected in today's politics, but I don't think this argument holds.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Umm… We sent money and weapons throughout the Trump administration. He was even impeached (the first time) for withholding those funds and weapons from Ukraine.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It could have been more advantageous for Putin had he made his move during Trump's presidency. I doubt we would have given this much support.
ONLY and only if Trump was a Putin lackey as many have said. Yet Putin's most aggressive moves annexing large portions of Ukraine (an act of War) came only during the times when Obama and Biden, who are both notoriously weak, were/are in office.

It was NOT more advantageous for Putin to make a move when Trump was in office. The actions show Putin saw Obama and Biden's Administrations as more advantageous for him to make war.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Umm… We sent money and weapons throughout the Trump administration. He was even impeached (the first time) for withholding those funds and weapons from Ukraine.
and yet Putin did not attack Ukraine until Biden was in office.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,425,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
and yet Putin did not attack Ukraine until Biden was in office.

Is that the only evidence you have? Do you have information from inside the Russian government suggesting who was President was a primary reason for the timing of their invasion?

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,425,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Right, if we're going to assume Putin makes his moves based on the POTUS, then he should have moved when Trump was POTUS. As it is, Putin badly miscalculated the West, and in particular, President Biden's leadership in leading a unified response to the Russian invasion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is that the only evidence you have? Do you have information from inside the Russian government suggesting who was President was a primary reason for the timing of their invasion?
Did I say I did?

It is an observation based on facts - I supported each with links.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟838,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
ONLY and only if Trump was a Putin lackey as many have said. Yet Putin's most aggressive moves annexing large portions of Ukraine (an act of War) came only during the times when Obama and Biden, who are both notoriously weak, were/are in office.

It was NOT more advantageous for Putin to make a move when Trump was in office. The actions show Putin saw Obama and Biden's Administrations as more advantageous for him to make war.

You're assuming Putin made his move depending on who was president. I think it is clear that is not the case, but you seem convinced.

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Right, if we're going to assume Putin makes his moves based on the POTUS, then he should have moved when Trump was POTUS. As it is, Putin badly miscalculated the West, and in particular, President Biden's leadership in leading a unified response to the Russian invasion.

Putin did miscalculate Biden's strength and ability to unite allies against the war in Ukraine. And republicans keep underestimating Biden's abilities as well. They like to poke fun at Biden's age and gaffes to incite ridicule from republican voters. All the while Biden gets things done and America is slowly recovering from the pandemic. And the debacle of the Trump presidency. Even Gingrich admits that republicans should quit underestimating Biden. He says the midterms is pretty good evidence Biden is beating the republicans now. And Biden has been much more successful than republicans are willing to give him credit for. I like the last sentence of the article I linked. Biden is not just a winner- but a role model. It is likely the first time I have been aware that I agree with Newt on anything lol.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You're assuming Putin made his move depending on who was president. I think it is clear that is not the case, but you seem convinced.
I think he did exactly that. Both times

Upvote 0