Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm in my 40's of course, and was curious how many of you in this age group has yet to be baptized. I haven't, but recently have been thinking about it but we don't belong to any church. We do need to find a church and I am going to start researching that soon. Once we get established in a church I may pursue baptism.

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am in my "Fabulous Sixties" and have been baptized. It is not something anyone should ever put off. Throughout the NT, baptisms were carried out as soon as possible after repentance and receiving Yeshua (Jesus) as Savior. You do not need to be part of a church in order to be baptized. You simply need to find someone who is qualified to baptize you.

Upvote 0

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm in my 40's of course, and was curious how many of you in this age group has yet to be baptized. I haven't, but recently have been thinking about it but we don't belong to any church. We do need to find a church and I am going to start researching that soon. Once we get established in a church I may pursue baptism.

Baptism is not something you put off. Once you believe you should be immediately baptized. If you look in all the book of Acts, not one person waited, it was all done immediately (one example Acts 22:16). If you believe in Christ already, why are you waiting to do His commands (Mark 16:16; Galatians 3:27; Romans 6:1-4 as examples)?

If your waiting to find the Lords church, remember that you can be baptized by any dude so long as you confess Christ "before men". Then and only then will you have put on Christ to walk that newness of life (Acts 2:38, 41, 47; Romans 6:1-4; Romans 12; 1 Corinthians 12 as examples).

• Informative
Reactions: CoolDude68
Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If your waiting to find the Lords church, remember that you can be baptized by any dude so long as you confess Christ "before men".
Not just "any dude", but a Spirit filled baptized dude.

Upvote 0

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello again! I am happy to see that you seem well by your presence here.

The questions I then have for you is this:

What can be done when the teaching takes place at a distance, through letters, phone conversations, and the like?

What happens when someone picks up a Bible and reads for himself what the Lord commands and desires to be saved?

Is who baptizes a person important?

In Corinth people were dividing, claiming to be followers of certain teachers 1 Corinthians 1:12-15. Notice that Paul's argument is that who did the actual baptism doesn't matter. What matters is whom a person is baptized into to -- that is, Christ. Paul had baptized a few of the Corinthians, but that was meaningless. What held meaning was that they were baptized into Christ's death, burial, and resurrection Romans 6:3-7. This is why people who are properly baptized don't need to be baptized again just because a false teacher was doing the baptism.

What is important is that the truth is taught and followed. The qualifications of who happens to teach the truth doesn't matter. If there is a Christian available, the Christian should be helping people put on Christ by baptizing them no doubt. But if a person has learned from afar by reading the Bible, studying with someone at a distance, or even taught by a person who knew the basics accurately but is wrong about other things, what matters is whether the person heard and understood God's Word, believes what it says and that Jesus is His Lord and Savior, repents of his past sinful life, confesses before others that he believes Jesus is Lord, and is baptized into Christ. Doing these things, he has obeyed the Lord. Who helped him go down into the water and back up is minor.

Do you have any scripture that says no non Christian can baptize you? I can't find one. So long as you yourself know the truth of why you believe and are baptized, who does the baptizing doesn't matter.

• Informative
Reactions: CoolDude68
Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Do you have any scripture that says no non Christian can baptize you? I can't find one. So long as you yourself know the truth of why you believe and are baptized, who does the baptizing doesn't matter.
We have NT examples of baptisms being conducted by believers and none being conducted by unbelievers. Yeshua commanded his disciples to baptize people in Matthew 28:19. Unbelievers were given no such authority. What does an unbeliever know about how to baptize someone in the name of Yeshua Messiah (Jesus Christ)? It would indeed be a strange thing for a follower of Dagon to baptize someone in the name of Yeshua. If an unbeliever can baptize someone, then why not just baptize one's self?

If someone is in a situation where there is no believer nearby to baptize him, then he needs to travel to someone or have someone come to him. I traveled from NC to Vancouver Canada to baptize someone. In this day and age, it would not be difficult to connect with another believer for baptism. If, on the very slim chance, a person was not baptized before they died although they wanted to, but just couldn't find someone, then no problem. He would be in the same situation as the thief on the cross. However, to be baptized by an unbeliever, with all do respect, seems absurd since unbelievers were not given authority to baptize.

Upvote 0

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have NT examples of baptisms being conducted by believers and none being conducted by unbelievers.

1 Corinthians 1:12-15 is scripture I found that shows it matters not who baptizes so long as the person who believes in Christ confesses before men, Christ. Another important aspect would be that the baptizer says this important thing here "I then baptize you in the name of... the Father Son Holy Spirit". I'll explain below about this part and why.

Yeshua commanded his disciples to baptize people in Matthew 28:19.

Yes, many call it the great commission. However you skipped the verse prior to it. Who's authority does one baptize? Matthew 28:18.

Non of these verses states a non believer cannon baptize someone who wishes to believe in Christ as Lord and Savior.

What does an unbeliever know about how to baptize someone in the name of Yeshua Messiah (Jesus Christ)?

It would be strange, THIS DAY IN AGE, to have this happen. However, it can be done as there still are remote places in this world believe it or not. Very remote.

Back in those days rumors, then belief and the desire to obey upon that belief, would have someone in need to be baptized. However, in an area that only heard rumors, especially in those days, could read the bible and obey its commands by having someone baptize them. Once that happens, then you have a Christian that surely could go around baptizing.

Most important thing you seem to overlook, Matthew 28:18. Christ has the authority and no one else. It is He, that in His name, we do the baptizing. Therefore a non Christian could do this because it is under Christs authority.

If an unbeliever can baptize someone, then why not just baptize one's self?

Because you need witnesses to confess before men. In the old days, the Israeli's needed 2-3 witnesses to condemn or relieve someone in the old law. In the NT, we have to confess before men (2 or more people, and throughout the rest of your Christian life preaching God) to be baptized. What does it matter if the witness is non Christian. You will be witnessing yourself and "the hope that is in you" to non Christians anyway throughout your Christian life.

If someone is in a situation where there is no believer nearby to baptize him, then he needs to travel to someone or have someone come to him. I traveled from NC to Vancouver Canada to baptize someone. In this day and age, it would not be difficult to connect with another believer for baptism.

Like I mentioned previously above, there are still very remote places in this world. I've seen them myself, you would be naive to believe there are not places like this anymore.

If, on the very slim chance, a person was not baptized before they died although they wanted to, but just couldn't find someone, then no problem. He would be in the same situation as the thief on the cross.

Two things here:
Your first sentence--- If you are not baptized and you die, what does the bible say? John 3:3 and 5

What does the bible command of us once we believe? Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38; Galatians 3:27.

Here are a couple more references to scripture that you can combine with these verses above = John 14:15; John 15:14; 2 Thessalonians 8-9 "those who do not obey the gospel"

To your second sentence--- The thief on the cross is a whole different ball game than us today.

Christ, at the time the thief was talking with Jesus, was not dead on the cross yet. Therefore the thief was under the OT laws NOT the NT laws which we obey now days.

That said, it was Christ as "high priest" that could authorize the thief to be saved without being baptized. They were under the OT before Christ died on the cross. This part is pretty important for you to understand, since many use this as an excuse to not get baptized. It is a false doctrine. The thief was under the OT law before Christ and the thief died.

However, to be baptized by an unbeliever, with all do respect, seems absurd since unbelievers were not given authority to baptize.

Its absurd to think you yourself or I put our own authority to baptize. It is Christs authority not ours, Matthew 28:18.

Thank you for your time in this. I hope all is well with you and have a wonderful weekend.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
1 Corinthians 1:12-15 is scripture I found that shows it matters not who baptizes so long as the person who believes in Christ confesses before men, Christ.
You are correct in that it doesn't matter who baptizes you, but you're missing the part about "as long as they are believers." All those mentioned in 1 Corinthians 1:12 were believers. If one was an unbeliever, then you would have a case.

Yes, many call it the great commission. However you skipped the verse prior to it. Who's authority does one baptize? Matthew 28:18.
I may not have quoted it, but I certainly did not skip it. Verse 18 is the reason why he had the authority to command the disciples to go and baptize. By doing so, he was passing his authority onto them. Unbelievers have no such authority.

It would be strange, THIS DAY IN AGE, to have this happen. However, it can be done as there still are remote places in this world believe it or not. Very remote.
Yeshua will make exceptions for such people as well as those who receive him as they are dying.

Most important thing you seem to overlook, Matthew 28:18. Christ has the authority and no one else. It is He, that in His name, we do the baptizing. Therefore a non Christian could do this because it is under Christs authority.
I addressed this above. How can it be "under Christ's authority" if he did NOT command unbelievers to baptize?

Because you need witnesses to confess before men. In the old days, the Israeli's needed 2-3 witnesses to condemn or relieve someone in the old law. In the NT, we have to confess before men (2 or more people, and throughout the rest of your Christian life preaching God) to be baptized. What does it matter if the witness is non Christian. You will be witnessing yourself and "the hope that is in you" to non Christians anyway throughout your Christian life.
I have no problem if the witnesses are unbelievers. They, of all people, would benefit by witnessing such an event. The problem is, an unbeliever entering the water and performing the baptism without any authority or right to do so. That is out of the question. The person is better off baptizing himself with those unbelieving dudes looking on. However, self baptism is unscriptural as well.

Like I mentioned previously above, there are still very remote places in this world. I've seen them myself, you would be naive to believe there are not places like this anymore.
Since you were there, it could not have been too remote for people in the area to get baptized. YHWH can make a way where there isn't one.

Two things here:
Your first sentence--- If you are not baptized and you die, what does the bible say? John 3:3 and 5
Being "born again" is literally fulfilled at one's resurrection, but figuratively fulfilled at baptism. If the figurative rebirth out of water is impossible as is the case with receiving Yeshua while dying, I highly doubt such a person will be forbidden to enter the Kingdom.

What does the bible command of us once we believe? Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38; Galatians 3:27.
Again, if at all possible, a person must be baptized and as soon as possible. However, it is not always possible to be baptized at all. Your interpretation is too rigid.

To your second sentence--- The thief on the cross is a whole different ball game than us today.

Christ, at the time the thief was talking with Jesus, was not dead on the cross yet. Therefore the thief was under the OT laws NOT the NT laws which we obey now days.

That said, it was Christ as "high priest" that could authorize the thief to be saved without being baptized. They were under the OT before Christ died on the cross. This part is pretty important for you to understand, since many use this as an excuse to not get baptized. It is a false doctrine. The thief was under the OT law before Christ and the thief died.
The thief account should never be used "as an excuse to not get baptized". That is not why I brought up the example. Even under the New Covenant, it is possible to die shortly after receiving Yeshua as Savior. Here is a simple scenario. Give me your judgment.

You know your plane is about to crash. The unbeliever next to you is freaking out. You share Yeshua with him in the final minutes of his life. He confesses Yeshua and believes he will save his soul. Then the plane crashes on land and is totally destroyed. Will that man be saved and resurrected unto eternal life? I say yes. What do you say?

Its absurd to think you yourself or I put our own authority to baptize. It is Christs authority not ours, Matthew 28:18.
I don't baptize in my own authority. Yeshua gave that authority to his disciples along with the authority to teach the nations.

Mark 13:32-34 But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.
Take ye heed, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is.
For the Son of man is as a man taking a far journey, who left his house, and gave authority to his servants, and to every man his work, and commanded the porter to watch.
Yeshua's disciples have the authority to cast out devils and heal the sick (Luke 9:1). They also have authority to do other works including teaching the nations and baptizing new believers. Unbelievers have no such authority and never will. They are the walking dead (Colossians 2:13) and can do nothing because they are not abiding in the vine (John 15:5).

Upvote 0

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are correct in that it doesn't matter who baptizes you, but you're missing the part about "as long as they are believers." All those mentioned in 1 Corinthians 1:12 were believers. If one was an unbeliever, then you would have a case.

I may not have quoted it, but I certainly did not skip it. Verse 18 is the reason why he had the authority to command the disciples to go and baptize. By doing so, he was passing his authority onto them. Unbelievers have no such authority.

Yeshua will make exceptions for such people as well as those who receive him as they are dying.

I addressed this above. How can it be "under Christ's authority" if he did NOT command unbelievers to baptize?

I have no problem if the witnesses are unbelievers. They, of all people, would benefit by witnessing such an event. The problem is, an unbeliever entering the water and performing the baptism without any authority or right to do so. That is out of the question. The person is better off baptizing himself with those unbelieving dudes looking on. However, self baptism is unscriptural as well.

Since you were there, it could not have been too remote for people in the area to get baptized. YHWH can make a way where there isn't one.

Being "born again" is literally fulfilled at one's resurrection, but figuratively fulfilled at baptism. If the figurative rebirth out of water is impossible as is the case with receiving Yeshua while dying, I highly doubt such a person will be forbidden to enter the Kingdom.

Again, if at all possible, a person must be baptized and as soon as possible. However, it is not always possible to be baptized at all. Your interpretation is too rigid.

The thief account should never be used "as an excuse to not get baptized". That is not why I brought up the example. Even under the New Covenant, it is possible to die shortly after receiving Yeshua as Savior. Here is a simple scenario. Give me your judgment.

You know your plane is about to crash. The unbeliever next to you is freaking out. You share Yeshua with him in the final minutes of his life. He confesses Yeshua and believes he will save his soul. Then the plane crashes on land and is totally destroyed. Will that man be saved and resurrected unto eternal life? I say yes. What do you say?

I don't baptize in my own authority. Yeshua gave that authority to his disciples along with the authority to teach the nations.

Mark 13:32-34 But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.
Take ye heed, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is.
For the Son of man is as a man taking a far journey, who left his house, and gave authority to his servants, and to every man his work, and commanded the porter to watch.
Yeshua's disciples have the authority to cast out devils and heal the sick (Luke 9:1). They also have authority to do other works including teaching the nations and baptizing new believers. Unbelievers have no such authority and never will. They are the walking dead (Colossians 2:13) and can do nothing because they are not abiding in the vine (John 15:5).

Hello and good day,

Maybe we can explain this way:

"Some have looked into the New Testament and concluded that every instance of baptism in the New Testament is one in which a Christian man does the baptizing. Thus, they have concluded, that in order to be properly baptized, a person must be baptized by a man who is a Christian. The principle of following biblical examples and precedents is often an important key to determining biblical authority for certain actions, when explicit commands and other information have not been given. In this case, however, there is major problem with this approach. What if a person claimed to be a Christian, but was not, and baptized people while claiming to be a Christian? Would the fact that he was not a Christian negate the validity of the baptisms that he performed? Think through that scenario. Suppose a person was baptized by this charlatan. That person then went out and baptized 100 people who each baptized 100 people, who each baptized 100, etc. If the original person who was baptized by the fraudulent “Christian” later found out that the man was not a Christian, would that negate the baptism of all those who were subsequently baptized? Certainly not.

Furthermore, how “faithful” would a person need to be in order to be eligible to baptize people? It is most likely the case that many people were baptized by Judas Iscariot in John 4:1-3 when Jesus’ disciples were doing the baptizing. Did all those who were baptized by the “son of perdition” need to be re-baptized based on the traitorous character of Judas? No. The truth of the matter is, it would be virtually, if not actually, impossible to verify the “saved” status of all those across the globe who have baptized or will baptize people. Fortunately, the characteristics of the one doing the baptizing have no bearing on the legitimacy of the baptism. When Paul instructed the 12 men in Acts 19:1-9 to be re-baptized, he did not ask them who baptized them, or what were the characteristics of the person who baptized them. He asked them about their baptism, not their baptizer.

In addition, some have gone so far as to say that the person who baptizes another person must have some type of “official” status in the church as a “pastor” or “ordained” minister. When we look into the New Testament, however, we do not see any such stipulation. In fact, the episode of Saul of Tarsus’ conversion offers some pertinent insight into this question. After Saul had seen the Lord on the Road to Damascus, he was instructed to go into the city and wait for a person named Ananias to come to him. In the texts of the narrative, there is no indication that Ananias held any type of official leadership position in the church. The text says he was “a devout man according to the law, having a good testimony with all the Jews” (Acts 22:16), but there is no reference that he was an elder, a deacon, and certainly not an apostle. The suggestion that only an “official” of the church can baptize falls prey to the same fallacy inherent in the idea that only a Christian man can baptize."

Ref. - Who Can Baptize Another Person?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What if a person claimed to be a Christian, but was not, and baptized people while claiming to be a Christian? Would the fact that he was not a Christian negate the validity of the baptisms that he performed? Think through that scenario. Suppose a person was baptized by this charlatan. That person then went out and baptized 100 people who each baptized 100 people, who each baptized 100, etc. If the original person who was baptized by the fraudulent “Christian” later found out that the man was not a Christian, would that negate the baptism of all those who were subsequently baptized? Certainly not.
The Scriptural way to baptize is by a believer baptizing the person in the name of Yeshua because the believer has the authority to do so. If someone pretends to be a believer, but is really a deceiver, the baptism would probably still be valid because the person being baptized believed he was a believer. I would think YHWH and/or Yeshua would extend grace in such a situation, but their perfect will is for baptisms to be done by believers. However, if I was the one who was baptized fraudulently, I would get re-baptized by a believer.

On the other hand, no one should ever knowingly seek an unbeliever to baptize them, which is what you are espousing. It is NOT Scriptural. You can find abnormal extenuating circumstances in just about anything, but whenever possible, the norm is the rule.

Furthermore, how “faithful” would a person need to be in order to be eligible to baptize people? It is most likely the case that many people were baptized by Judas Iscariot in John 4:1-3 when Jesus’ disciples were doing the baptizing. Did all those who were baptized by the “son of perdition” need to be re-baptized based on the traitorous character of Judas? No. The truth of the matter is, it would be virtually, if not actually, impossible to verify the “saved” status of all those across the globe who have baptized or will baptize people. Fortunately, the characteristics of the one doing the baptizing have no bearing on the legitimacy of the baptism. When Paul instructed the 12 men in Acts 19:1-9 to be re-baptized, he did not ask them who baptized them, or what were the characteristics of the person who baptized them. He asked them about their baptism, not their baptizer.
Judas was not baptizing in the name of Yeshua, nor was he a disciple who received authority from Yeshua. Baptism in Yeshua's name can only take place after Yeshua's resurrection.

In addition, some have gone so far as to say that the person who baptizes another person must have some type of “official” status in the church as a “pastor” or “ordained” minister. When we look into the New Testament, however, we do not see any such stipulation. In fact, the episode of Saul of Tarsus’ conversion offers some pertinent insight into this question. After Saul had seen the Lord on the Road to Damascus, he was instructed to go into the city and wait for a person named Ananias to come to him. In the texts of the narrative, there is no indication that Ananias held any type of official leadership position in the church. The text says he was “a devout man according to the law, having a good testimony with all the Jews” (Acts 22:16), but there is no reference that he was an elder, a deacon, and certainly not an apostle. The suggestion that only an “official” of the church can baptize falls prey to the same fallacy inherent in the idea that only a Christian man can baptize."
I agree.

Upvote 0

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess we will have to let our readers of this post, study the bible, see which is the correct answer.

Thank you for being so pleasant and thank you for this time shared.

before I end here, a couple things I will respond to.

On the other hand, no one should ever knowingly seek an unbeliever to baptize them, which is what you are espousing.

Not at all. I never mentioned to "seek out on purpose" those who do not believe for the baptizer.

My whole point is that if there are no believers around or near, and say YOU, finally believe in Jesus and wish to "put on Christ" and obey His will, one would not want to wait (Acts 8:37-39; Acts 22:16 for examples), they would do the baptizing immediately. Therefore you would grab someone who is willing to do this obedient following of the gospel for you to be saved. The baptism is not about WHO does it but WHY YOU are doing it.

Judas was not baptizing in the name of Yeshua, nor was he a disciple who received authority from Yeshua. Baptism in Yeshua's name can only take place after Yeshua's resurrection.

I beg to differ. Judas was a disciple and did baptizing, therefore your stance on this cannot be held as scripture says he was a disciple and the disciples baptized.

Mark 3 = (Judas was the original twelve disciples "ordained")
14 And he ordained twelve, that they should be with him, and that he might send them forth to preach,

15 And to have power to heal sicknesses, and to cast out devils:

16 And Simon he surnamed Peter;

17 And James the son of Zebedee, and John the brother of James; and he surnamed them Boanerges, which is, The sons of thunder:

18 And Andrew, and Philip, and Bartholomew, and Matthew, and Thomas, and James the son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus, and Simon the Canaanite,

19 And Judas Iscariot, which also betrayed him: and they went into an house"

Matthew 10 (same thing here)
1 And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease.

2 Now the names of the twelve apostles are these; The first, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother; James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother;

3 Philip, and Bartholomew; Thomas, and Matthew the publican; James the son of Alphaeus, and Lebbaeus, whose surname was Thaddaeus;

4 Simon the Canaanite, and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed him.

5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:

6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

This actually shows that Judas is in good standing, even though the Lord knows he would betray, Judas could have repented but chose suicide without repenting.

Clearly Judas was an disciple. As for the baptizing:

Since Judas was part of the original twelve, then in John 3:22 and John 4:1-2 would Judas clearly be part of these events.

With this scripture here you must concede this thought you had about Judas.

Again, pleasure speaking with you.

Upvote 0

Kywy

May 21, 2017
USA
✟22,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have a question. I havent been baptized yet, but I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior when I was 12. I kept putting it off because I am too worried about standing infront of my church and speaking and getting baptized. Does this mean I am not saved until I get baptized? I trust in Jesus, but is baptism a requirement for salvation. I really want to be baptized, but I am too nervous to do it.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I beg to differ. Judas was a disciple and did baptizing, therefore your stance on this cannot be held as scripture says he was a disciple and the disciples baptized.

Mark 3 = (Judas was the original twelve disciples "ordained")
14 And he ordained twelve, that they should be with him, and that he might send them forth to preach,

15 And to have power to heal sicknesses, and to cast out devils:

16 And Simon he surnamed Peter;

17 And James the son of Zebedee, and John the brother of James; and he surnamed them Boanerges, which is, The sons of thunder:

18 And Andrew, and Philip, and Bartholomew, and Matthew, and Thomas, and James the son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus, and Simon the Canaanite,

19 And Judas Iscariot, which also betrayed him: and they went into an house"

Matthew 10 (same thing here)
1 And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease.

2 Now the names of the twelve apostles are these; The first, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother; James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother;

3 Philip, and Bartholomew; Thomas, and Matthew the publican; James the son of Alphaeus, and Lebbaeus, whose surname was Thaddaeus;

4 Simon the Canaanite, and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed him.

5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:

6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

This actually shows that Judas is in good standing, even though the Lord knows he would betray, Judas could have repented but chose suicide without repenting.

Clearly Judas was an disciple. As for the baptizing:

Since Judas was part of the original twelve, then in John 3:22 and John 4:1-2 would Judas clearly be part of these events.

With this scripture here you must concede this thought you had about Judas.

Again, pleasure speaking with you.
I agree Judas was a disciple, but his baptizing was of John's baptism, not baptism in Yeshua's name. That is the baptism in question. Since baptism in Yeshua's name symbolizes burying the old man in a watery grave in the likeness of Yeshua's death and resurrecting him out of it unto newness of life in the likeness of Yeshua's resurrection (Romans 6:3-5), that type of baptism could only be done by Yeshua's disciples AFTER his resurrection, at which time Judas would have been dead.

Upvote 0

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a question. I havent been baptized yet, but I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior when I was 12. I kept putting it off because I am too worried about standing infront of my church and speaking and getting baptized. Does this mean I am not saved until I get baptized? I trust in Jesus, but is baptism a requirement for salvation. I really want to be baptized, but I am too nervous to do it.

Here's the thing, you've only mentioned here, that you accept Jesus is your Lord. You stopped there though. If you truly wish to "put on Christ" (Galatians 3:27), then one must not only "hear" the word and believe (Romans 10:17) but you must also repent (Luke 13:3) and confess before men (Matthew 10:32-33). After this, you become baptized (1 Peter 3:21 /Baptizo Greek Konie -immersion in water) as the bible gives examples (Romans 6:1-4; Acts 2:38, 41, 47; Acts 8:37-39; and so much more).

Believe is a verb, an action word. Jesus says, Mark 16:16; John 3:3 and 5. Then Jesus says if you love Him you will obey Him, John 14:15 and John 15:14. Do you love Christ? Will you follow Him no matter the cost? Will you obey the gospel?

Matthew 10:32-33, don't be ashamed of Christ or embarrassed. This is something I would not pass off.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kywy

May 21, 2017
USA
✟22,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Please i am really worried and condused. I searched for answers. Some people say saved by faith amd Jesus death finishes the salvation process and trying to add works to save ourselves is dangerous. But others say baptism IS necessary and that you go to hell if you aren't baptized. I dont want to think that all this time my faith in Jesus was in vain and I was never saved, but I also dont want to risk going to hell for not being baptized.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Please i am really worried and condused. I searched for answers. Some people say saved by faith amd Jesus death finishes the salvation process and trying to add works to save ourselves is dangerous. But others say baptism IS necessary and that you go to hell if you aren't baptized. I dont want to think that all this time my faith in Jesus was in vain and I was never saved, but I also dont want to risk going to hell for not being baptized.
You were saved by grace through faith the moment you received Yeshua (Jesus) as your Savior. Now that you are saved, Yeshua expects you to obey him as a fruit of your salvation and as a demonstration of your love for him.

"If you love me, keep my commandments" John 14:15.
I don't know how your church conducts baptisms, but a lengthy verbal confession is not required. Do they ask a bunch of questions in public before the baptism? Do they expect you to preach a message afterwards? Or can you just come out of the water and say, "Praise be to Yeshua (Jesus) my Lord and Savior!"

"Fear not, ... for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom" Luke 12:32
I suspect that once you come out of the water, your fears will melt away and you won't be able to control your tongue for joy!

Upvote 0

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do love Jesus and I have repented of my sins (even though I worry if its not true repentence). Does this mean Im not saved since I havent been baptized and if I die then I would go to hell?

I do not tell you these things to be a fear monger, but to let you know whats in scripture.

Let me tell you something a brother explained before about the "what if" question you pose of not being baptized and dying. A fellow Christian came up to this brother, and asked him how to respond to the "what if" question about baptism and mentioned that he didn't want to seem judgmental but at the same time he knows what scripture says and wanted to know how to go about it.
This is the reply:

"You are correct that attempts to imagine a situation where the rule might be broken does not invalidate the rule. People imagine the possibility of a person believing in Christ but before he can act on it he is killed. "What will happen to the poor man?" they moan. They want someone to say, "he will be saved," so that they can say, "See, you can be saved without baptism!"

As you noted, we can't say that because it isn't what God said. "If anyone speaks, let him speak as the oracles of God. If anyone ministers, let him do it as with the ability which God supplies, that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belong the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen" (I Peter 4:11).

What they don't realize is that they are diminishing the power of God. "The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance" (II Peter 3:9). If a man turns his heart to God, God is not going to take his life at the last second so as to prevent his salvation. The Lord God is not like that.

I often ask such people, "Can a person be saved with confessing Christ?"

"Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven" (Matthew 10:32-33).

"But what does it say? "The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart" (that is, the word of faith which we preach): that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation" (Romans 10:8-10).

"But what," I then ask, "will happen to him if he dies before he has a chance to open his mouth and make a confession?"

And what about repentance? Can a person be saved without changing their life?

"I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish" (Luke 13:3, 5).

"Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, and that He may send Jesus Christ, who was preached to you before" (Acts 3:19-20).

Now some want to blur the lines and say that faith, confession, and repentance are all the same thing. But I always point out that you believe in your heart, but confession is made with the mouth and repentance means doing things differently. "... that they should repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance" (Acts 26:20). What happens to a fellow who doesn't have a chance to do works befitting repentance?

The answer is, if it ever did happen (and I have more confidence in God than that), then it would be God's decision, and fortunately not mind, but in the meantime, I must teach the will of the Father and He says that hearing the word, faith in Jesus, confession of Christ, repentance from sins, and washing away sins in baptism are all necessary to be saved from sins. Therein is the key problem. People talk about salvation, they see the goal is to get to heaven, but they neglect to see that they being saved from something -- sin! It is as if they think they can be saved from drowning while remaining under the water.

However, we know that the early disciples understood the importance of being saved. When Saul was taught by Ananias, "And now why are you waiting? Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord" (Acts 22:16). When the Philippian jailer wanted to be saved, "So they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household." Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all who were in his house. And he took them the same hour of the night and washed their stripes. And immediately he and all his family were baptized" (Acts 16:31-33). And this even though Acts 16:25 said the events started around midnight.

Why the urgency in obeying God's commands? Because the people knew that the future is uncertain. "Whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away" (James 4:14). They did not risk the possibility of not having another opportunity.

"For He says: "In an acceptable time I have heard you, And in the day of salvation I have helped you." Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation" (II Corinthians 6:2).

Frankly, when people truly believe God and are willing to do as He commands, the gap between belief and baptism isn't all that great. The possibility of dying before obeying is slim, and I'm confident that the Lord watches over those who are His.

When the Ethiopian asked, "See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?" The answer was, "If you believe with all your heart, you may" (Acts 8:37-38). There is nothing preventing salvation but a person's own heart."

I am going to give you two analogies here:

#1 - Your question about "faith only" saved. People normally recite Ephesians 2:8-9 right?

Analogy #1:
Your friend calls you and says "I have a gift for you. You need to come here to my house and pick it up to receive it."

1-Is the gift free? Well yes, your friend is giving it to you. The word gift in itself means "a thing given willingly to someone without payment; a present.".

2- Are you going to get the gift by just sitting at your own home? No.

3- Do you have to GO and GET the gift from your friends house? Yes.

The same applies to the gift of grace. It is a free gift you cannot work for, but you have to "go and get it" aka repent, confess, be baptized, and remain faithful.

To get off topic a bit:

I would strongly urge you to study your bible, read it again and again. It's actually a command that we study so that we can "test the spirits" and "rebuke and reprove" and to "keep what is good". How are you going to stay a strong, growing Christian if you do not study?

Okay back to the question:
We are not saved by faith only, plain and simple. Believe is a verb, an action word, that is continuous and doesn't stop. It is true, that no one can work for grace, yes, however your obedience is required by the word of God (gospel/bible) which commands being baptized and remaining faithful. How do you remain faithful? Doing the will of God, which are indeed works.

You can't just say "Okay I believe and now I can continue on with my life like before." Jesus requires us to work. Look at the "great commission" Matthew 28:18-20 as one example. Look at James 1:27 as an example too. Do you think these are not work? They are. A Christian that does not "bare fruit" is, for lack of a better word from me, worthless to God (See Matthew 7:16-27 as a reference, also John 15, parable of the talents Matthew 25).

Faith only is NOT obeying the gospel commands and those who do not obey the gospel are doomed, 2 Thessalonians 1:8-9.

What does James 2:14-26 say?

What does Hebrews 11:6 mean?

What does Hebrews 11:8-10 mean?

Now when you answered those 3 questions, ask yourself if faith only is right.

#2- Your question on saved upon believing and not baptism.

Analogy #2 - I suppose its more of a question but:

Do you wash your clothes because they are dirty or do you wash your clothes because they are clean?

You cannot be saved before baptism, because baptism is "for the remission of sins". Lets look at some scripture.

Romans 6:23 and Ezekiel 18:4 =
If you do not receive "remission of sins", can you enjoy God's gift of eternal life? (yes or no)

Now look at Acts 2:37-47; Acts 22:16.

Did these sinners gladly accept the word and obey the command to be baptized?

Were their sins forgiven at baptism?

Did the Lord add to their number (the church) daily those who were being saved?

Now lets get something else straight. Some people say "baptism is 'because of the remission of sins" for Acts 2:38.

This is what the Greek says for the word "for" in Acts 2:38:

εἰς eis, ice; a primary preposition; to or into (indicating the point reached or entered); into, unto, to, towards, for, among.

Do you see the words "because of" here?

Fact of the matter is, according to the gospel you are save after you are baptized and not before, Mark 16:16; Galatians 3:27; Romans 6:1-4.

Upvote 0