Has anyone here been the sponsor at a Romanian Orthodox wedding?

ex-pat

Building my house...
Jun 30, 2011
Canada
✟16,064.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
My husband and I were just asked to be sponsors to a young couple. The groom, who we know, is a convert in the OCA. The bride, who we have met a few times, is Moldovan and Romanian. I cannot find anywhere online a list of what the sponsors are required to purchase in advance or pay for in advance. They will be married in Canada, and their parish priest, a sweet man, has said, when we asked what we need, "Whatever they want, since the OCA does lots of different styles." We have bought their candles already, the parish does not have crowns, nor do we know what they will be looking for in terms of style. In the Greek Orthodox tradition, the sponsors buy the candles, the crowns, a silver tray, and the koufeta...favours with Jordan almonds that are also on the tray on the tetrapod. Greek sponsors may also buy the couple their stefanothiki, the case for the couple to display their wedding crowns. Neither of the people in question have a frame of reference for this...until about three weeks ago they did not know that they needed sponsors! We'll be meeting with them and talking to them, but I guess I'm afraid that the bride-to-be is too shy to give wishes, so I'd like to be able to ask her "Do you want ______________ insert typical custom here" We'd like to help the bride out...planning a wedding long distance for a country you do not know, is really hard!

Any other thoughts? Do we buy the wine in the common cup? If so, should it be a sweet wine?

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hi, ex-pat. You could try contacting this Priest through his fb page http://stjohndfw.info/welcome/parish-priest/ . I don't know him personally, but I hear many good things about him. He's Romanian and perhaps he or his Presvytera could help you.

Reactions: ZaidaBoBaida
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'd prefer Latvian Orthodox....unless you have the Kavorca. Matt would understand.

(doesn't answer in time since he is running around mutilating squirrels)

Upvote 0

ex-pat

Building my house...
Jun 30, 2011
Canada
✟16,064.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Thanks to those who replied. Unfortunately, as I said before, their priest simply does not know. He's never done a wedding, and said as much (OK, he was a co-celebrant at a wedding of one of his parishioners in someone else's parish and the father of the groom was one of the several priests there)...so, he can't help. He just says they have lots of possible traditions and he'll do whatever the couple wants...except the couple is clueless also....one is a new convert, the other has not really been raised Orthodox. So, we, as sponsors, do not know what they need us to buy. The guidance and praying thing, we have down pat...the rest? Not so much.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums