Number 81

ಠ_ಠ
Mar 31, 2003
✟2,533.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm trying to decide what colleges to visit before I apply next year...
My choices for the colleges I want to apply to are:
Catholic University of America
+Heart of DC
+Metro on Campus
+Next to the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
-Not liberal, not very conservative...
I went for an open house. I was in awe of the Shrine, and the Campus looked so nice and I could just see myself living there for 4 years. I felt really comfortable there. HOWEVER, I don't think, for a Catholic University, they put enough emphasis on Religion.

Steubenville (Franciscan University)
+From what I've heard, it's the place to go for Religious Catholics.
-Out in the middle of nowhere.

University of Dallas
+From what I've heard, it is very conservative.
+In Dallas
-I have no idea what there is to do in Dallas, there is just so much to do at DC...
-Far away from Home and friends.

Catholic Univeristy of America is definitely my first choice after seeing the Campus and the Shrine, but the lack of conservatism is kind of scaring me off...
So has anyone gone to these Colleges and know if they are good? And does anyone have any suggestions for a Conservative Catholic College somewhere near the East Cost and a city?

FullyMT

Veni Sancte Spiritus
Nov 14, 2003
Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I suggest visiting each school your very interested in attending. Each university has a different personality.
I've heard different things about Steubenville from those who have visited (either it was for them, or they REALLY didn't like it). When I visited my university, I fell in love with it and didn't want to leave. I had visited another Catholic university and was unsure, so it sort of made my discernment over where to go easier.

Upvote 0

Carrye

Weisenheimer
Aug 30, 2003
✟29,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
When I visited my university, I fell in love with it and didn't want to leave. I had visited another Catholic university and was unsure, so it sort of made my discernment over where to go easier.

Fwiw, I felt the same way about the state universities that I visited. I either loved them or hated them, and knew right away.

Upvote 0

SmileBugMG

Oct 21, 2005
✟926.00
Faith
Catholic
I visited Catholic U and hated it. The city appealed to me, but every time it was remotely mentioned that they were indeed a Catholic school, it was qualified by some disclaimer that no, you don't have to be Catholic to be accepted here. Catholicism doesn't really impact the classroom anyway. That was just my impression. And I was unimpressed with their nursing school. And astronomical tuition.

Steubenville wasn't my cup of tea either. Like you, I didn't want a school in the middle of nowhere. I LOVED the Catholicness though. In high school we went to their youth conferences and they were great. But I didn't feel that I should go there. I was concerned that I would get complacent if I were in an uber-catholic environment all the time. Then not know how to deal in the secular world. This was just a personal concern for me; I don't at all mean that this is true of Steubenville alumni in general.

Never went to Dallas, so you're on your own with that one.

I only wanted a Catholic school also when I started looking at colleges. But I ended up at a state school. And I love it. I'm growing so much in faith here as well. If you can't find a Catholic college that feels like a great fit to you, don't be afraid to look at some non-Catholic schools. Lots of them have really wonderful campus ministries. And secular schools are up front about what they're about, which I think is less dangerous than going to an institution that is Catholic in name only. God bless, Number 81, I'm sure God will show you where He wants you to be for the next four years!

Upvote 0

FullyMT

Veni Sancte Spiritus
Nov 14, 2003
Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Just to add, different Catholic Universities have different feels, even if they have the same identity (from their religious order). Most Jesuit Universities focus on social justice, however, each one is still different. Try and find out what type of groups they have on campus, different events they have, what Residence Life is like (if you hate living in the Res Hall -DONT CALL IT A DORM- you'll hate your time at school), and various other things that may be of interest to you.

Upvote 0

Aaron-Aggie

Legend
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟23,913.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
I'm trying to decide what colleges to visit before I apply next year...
My choices for the colleges I want to apply to are:
Catholic University of America
+Heart of DC
+Metro on Campus
+Next to the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
-Not liberal, not very conservative...
I went for an open house. I was in awe of the Shrine, and the Campus looked so nice and I could just see myself living there for 4 years. I felt really comfortable there. HOWEVER, I don't think, for a Catholic University, they put enough emphasis on Religion.

Steubenville (Franciscan University)
+From what I've heard, it's the place to go for Religious Catholics.
-Out in the middle of nowhere.

University of Dallas
+From what I've heard, it is very conservative.
+In Dallas
-I have no idea what there is to do in Dallas, there is just so much to do at DC...
-Far away from Home and friends.

Catholic Univeristy of America is definitely my first choice after seeing the Campus and the Shrine, but the lack of conservatism is kind of scaring me off...
So has anyone gone to these Colleges and know if they are good? And does anyone have any suggestions for a Conservative Catholic College somewhere near the East Cost and a city?
didn't attned any of those schools but can comment on two their citys

DC is a great town to vist but to expesinsive to live in.

The shrine is addictive and one thing besides freinds I'll miss about DC.

Dallas is in Texas :) Texas is great for texans :) outsides get converted or leave ;) BBQ Blue Bell icereamm steaks yummy :)
Might be intrested in the abbey next to UD also since you like chant
:)http://www.cistercian.org/abbey/schedule/index.html

Being to far away from home can be hard

Before you pick a university have a idea of your major and how that university program is like. and don't limit your self to a catholic university you might be surpisred what you can find at a public one :)

Take A&M for example catholic pupulation 10,000 stuadnets out of 45k :) great catholic studnets center/parish http://www.aggiecatholic.com/

Reactions: SmileBugMG
Upvote 0

Number 81

ಠ_ಠ
Mar 31, 2003
✟2,533.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
didn't attned any of those schools but can comment on two their citys

DC is a great town to vist but to expesinsive to live in.

The shrine is addictive and one thing besides freinds I'll miss about DC.

Dallas is in Texas Texas is great for texans outsides get converted or leave BBQ Blue Bell icereamm steaks yummy
Might be intrested in the abbey next to UD also since you like chant
http://www.cistercian.org/abbey/schedule/index.html

Being to far away from home can be hard

Before you pick a university have a idea of your major and how that university program is like. and don't limit your self to a catholic university you might be surpisred what you can find at a public one

Take A&M for example catholic pupulation 10,000 stuadnets out of 45k great catholic studnets center/parish http://www.aggiecatholic.com/
Ahh, you've reminded me of something important... Bluebell.
Blue bell ice cream and Jack-in-the-Box, two of those rare pleasures that are reserved to my sporatic trips to my hometown....
I was born in Texas...
And I want to major in Theology, not sure if I want a job in that field, I just want to learn it.
I'm also interested in Latin, Greek, and Biology.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aprill

The paths are many, the truth is ONE.
Aug 9, 2005
Arlington, Texas
✟16,008.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I grew up in Texas, and moved last year from the suburbs of Dallas, theres plenty to do, and many churchs and Cathedrals (one in FT. Worth about 30 minute drive).

Btw, you guys forgot Whataburger too! ::giggles:: I miss Jack in the box here in Florida...mmmm bluebell...

Okay I gotta go eat now lol.

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

Ahh, you've reminded me of something important... Bluebell.
Blue bell ice cream and Jack-in-the-Box, two of those rare pleasures that are reserved to my sporatic trips to my hometown....
I was born in Texas...
And I want to major in Theology, not sure if I want a job in that field, I just want to learn it.
I'm also interested in Latin, Greek, and Biology.
LOL! not that I am biased or anything but I think Thomas Aquinas College http://www.thomasaquinas.edu/ would be a good fit for those interests.

Check out Ave Maria http://www.naples.avemaria.edu/index.asp (gotta give a shout out to Fr. Fessio) and also http://www.christendom.edu/ and one more http://www.magdalen.edu/

Upvote 0

Quijote

a.k.a Mr. Q
May 5, 2005
Wisconsin
✟40,638.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm a UD Alumn myself :)

It has agood Theology Dept. It's small. Right next to Texas STadium (we used to be able to get in for free to the Cowboys game after halftime w/our school id....but that was back in the early 90's when they stunk!!).

For Sunday mass you can either go to the Chapel of INcarnation, the Seminary, the Dominican priory, or the Cistercian Abby (all w/in a 15 minute walk from every dorm).

The core Curriculum is very strong (four lit. trad classes, two Am. history, two Western Civ, foreign language, three philosophy, two theology, some science, etc...) adn you get to go to Rome for a semmerster w/half your sophomore class!!! (UD has its own campus in Rome with vineyards and an outdoor pizza oven :yum: )

Anywya, good luck w/your decision :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cecilia

Catholic Teen
Apr 1, 2003
Pennsylvania
✟15,752.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm attending Steubenville right now and in my search, I wanted a conservative, true-to-the-Church school and I've found everything I wanted here. If you have any specific questions, pm me.

I heard that Thomas Aquinas college was very liberal and went against the Chruch a lot but that's word-of-mouth.

Upvote 0

patriarch

Mar 6, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟1,052.00
Faith
Catholic
Well, first of all, don't go ANYWHERE because you fell in love with the campus. Go someplace where you'll get a great education, where the students are happy,where they've got a Rome program, where it's warm most of the year, where it's relatively inexpensive (or was in 1995). Both my son and daughter both are UD alums.

Put it this way, George Weigel, friend and biographer of JPII, sent his daughter Gwynneth to the University of Dallas. It is an excellent, excellent school.

We didn't set foot on the campus until my son's graduation and while I have to say the campus itself is not overly impressive, the students and the faculty ARE.

That is what to look for in a college.

A significant proportion of the faculty and student body are conservative Catholics, but not all. The result is intellectual ferment.

Both my children got an excellent intellectual and spiritual formation there. The proof? My daughter is about to enter a contemplative convent, and my son is in the top ten percent of his class at Notre Dame's Law School.

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
I'm a UD Alumn myself :)

It has agood Theology Dept. It's small. Right next to Texas STadium (we used to be able to get in for free to the Cowboys game after halftime w/our school id....but that was back in the early 90's when they stunk!!).

For Sunday mass you can either go to the Chapel of INcarnation, the Seminary, the Dominican priory, or the Cistercian Abby (all w/in a 15 minute walk from every dorm).

The core Curriculum is very strong (four lit. trad classes, two Am. history, two Western Civ, foreign language, three philosophy, two theology, some science, etc...) adn you get to go to Rome for a semmerster w/half your sophomore class!!! (UD has its own campus in Rome with vineyards and an outdoor pizza oven :yum: )

Anywya, good luck w/your decision :)
How many semesters of foreign language? That always seems to be the core requirement that's the first to go, unfortunately.

Upvote 0
Z

zhilan

Any university is what you make of it. Unless it's a really really really liberal Catholic school, there will be other conservative Catholics there if you look for them. You should look online or if you visit see what clubs there are, and maybe even visit the clubs. They are great places to find people that share your views. Especially, I think that Catholic is a pretty big university so you'd definatley have access to stuff like that. If you like it the best, don't let that it "seems liberal" deter you becuase I guarentee you that there are plenty of Catholics like you there too. I go to a secular university and yet there is plenty of religious presence - you can find liberal unitarian groups and you can find conservative groups. It's just about where you look.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.