Would you recommend using a dating site?

• Yes

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • No

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Depends

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters

HarvestTheFields

Great White North
Mar 7, 2016
Indiana
Visit site
✟14,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Has anyone ever used a dating site? If so, do you have any tips?

It seems like the big ones are Match.com, Plenty of Fish, and eHarmony.
As a Christian, maybe ChristianMingle and eHarmony are the best options.
Do you have any recommendations? I'd like to avoid options like Tinder if possible.

I'm thinking about trying it out next month, just to see how it goes. Maybe I'll give updates haha.

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I used all of them. I met some, but not really satisfied. I'm planning on going offline with a personal matchmaker (Selectivesearch.com, thevidaconsultancy.com). They're more secular but will custom search per your requirements, including Christian women. They do charge quite a bit (starting at $50 K). Good luck!

Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟208,742.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
My advice is to be prepared to be disappointed. You might get lucky and meet someone, but you could also have a lot of conversations that go nowhere, assuming you even get a reply in the first place. There's just no way to guarantee you'll be successful.

As for which sites/apps to try, it's difficult to say. It all depends on who else has signed up in your vicinity, and in some areas certain sites might be more popular than others, so you'd be better off trying those ones but I don't think there's any way to tell which they are.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟946,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I’ve participated in secular forums that implemented some elements of dating sites but weren’t wholly devoted to that subject. My experiences were positive.

I recommend taking time to write down your thoughts. Be honest about the things you seek in a companion and your deal breakers. While faith is important be mindful it’s rarely the reason relationships end. Character and financial issues are the primary complaints for Christian and secular couples. Don’t dismiss this in your interactions.

I don’t believe you have to prepare for disappointment if you exercise wisdom and seek the Lord’s assistance in your discourse. I think it’s best to craft a profile which reflects your person and has a human touch. Think of it as a calling card of sorts. You’re not attempting to woo everyone but the specific person whose your complement.

Recent photos taken within a year’s time are ideal. Head and body shots are best. You should resemble the image to avoid uncomfortable surprises if meetings occur.

Be patient in your correspondence. Most women are inundated with messages and responses may be delayed a day or so. And be aware of the likelihood you aren’t the lone person she’s conversing with. Hedging is easy to employ through these mediums. I suggest prayer and discernment throughout.

Finally, be open to the unexpected. You may encounter the one you seek through these venues, this site or elsewhere. If you’ve been looking for a time and feel disheartened, take that to God. Don’t assume the next encounter will be like the last.

Good luck. May the Lord order your steps and bring you the one you seek. :)

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,054.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
They do charge quite a bit (starting at $50 K). Good luck!

50K USD, seriouslY???

I could think of far more useful things to spend that money than look for someone.. I wouldn't go that far even if I have that money easily.

I mean if you have to spend that much, maybe, God has other plans.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,054.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

My best advice is try not to keep your hopes high and don't take things personally. And you can expect to be hurt.

If you can take these things without problems then go ahead and good luck.

As a guy, by default, you can expect a lot of rejections due to tight competition on our end. Again, don't let rejections get to you. Eat them like a champ!

Women seem to have it "easier" as they tend to get flooded with responses on their profile!! But with men, your inbox would be like the Sahara desert!

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I used all of them. I met some, but not really satisfied. I'm planning on going offline with a personal matchmaker (Selectivesearch.com, thevidaconsultancy.com). They're more secular but will custom search per your requirements, including Christian women. They do charge quite a bit (starting at $50 K). Good luck!
My goodness. Do you really know all that you're getting into for that kind of price? Lol I wish you the best, but for some reason my imagination went off the richter scale with this one. It's what good comedy/drama/thriller movies are made from. I'm thinking of the film, The Game, right now in particular. Anyway, bestest of wishes!

• Haha
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟946,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
My goodness. Do you really know all that you're getting into for that kind of price?

It is commonplace for high profile/net worth persons to use services to screen prospects. They’ve verified background, identity, and the common denominators their clients seek.

Consider the things you’ve heard about dating sites: catfish, ghosting, outdated photos, scams, etc. Paid services weed through the dross on your behalf.

And matchmaking services are used in other cultures.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
My goodness. Do you really know all that you're getting into for that kind of price? Lol I wish you the best, but for some reason my imagination went off the richter scale with this one. It's what good comedy/drama/thriller movies are made from. I'm thinking of the film, The Game, right now in particular. Anyway, bestest of wishes!
I haven't tried it yet. We'll see:).

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

It seems like the big ones are Match.com, Plenty of Fish, and eHarmony.
As a Christian, maybe ChristianMingle and eHarmony are the best options.
Do you have any recommendations? I'd like to avoid options like Tinder if possible.

I'm thinking about trying it out next month, just to see how it goes. Maybe I'll give updates haha.

The best site I've seen was Sovereign Grace Singles, but its geared toward those of the Reformed tradition. The most serious Christian dating site I had ever been a member of, the people I've met on there are strong in the faith and in doctrine!

Reactions: sampa
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,329.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Suggestions:

1. Don’t take rejection personally- the person who does not answer your message knows almost nothing about you.

2. I believe the percentage of dysfunctional people on dating sites is somewhat higher than for the general population. However, they are certainly not all dysfunctional - you just may need to weed out a few crazies. I certainly had to.

3. The nature of online dating is such that people become too picky.

As others have said, you are going to experience disappointment. But be persistent. All you need is to find one gem - just one.

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟381,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I've joined a few over the years, mostly out of curiosity, but never really used them. The profiles I saw weren't compelling enough. A few single moms reached out to me, but I'm not interested in dating single moms. The big takeaway was that my type is rarely, if ever, on dating sites. Some were cute enough, but it takes more than that to get me interested.

Then again, some people have good luck with them. They might work for you. You'll never know until you try.

For what it's worth, the best I've seen is OkCupid. The women on there seemed more real than on other dating sites, if that makes sense.

Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟208,742.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
A few single moms reached out to me, but I'm not interested in dating single moms.

That's been my experience too. More often than not on the rare occasions I get a message, it's from a single mother. That even happens on sites where I'm able to specify that I don't want kids, and if I don't want any of my own then what makes you think I'm going to want yours? :scratch:

The big takeaway was that my type is rarely, if ever, on dating sites.

Same again with me. It seems like most of the women I see on dating sites are into some combination of dancing, travel, drinking wine and/or coffee, trail running, spending time outdoors, or eating out (when they've actually written something in their profile, which is a different complaint). Some of those I don't do while the others I don't mind but aren't particularly high on my list of interests, so finding someone with whom I have enough common ground to start a conversation is a very small needle in a very big haystack.

Upvote 0