Has anyone converted to Catholicism from a different Denomination?

Leaviathan

Feb 19, 2015
Cape Cod
✟31,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm looking for a new Church, something more traditional is more my thing. Currently my Church is Baptist but the Pastor considers it Contemporary Christianity. Aside from that my area has Methodist, Baptist, Lutheran, Assembly of God, UCC, and LDS. I want to avoid Churches that remind me of a Tony Robbins self help seminar.

Reactions: dms1972

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm looking for a new Church, something more traditional is more my thing.
There are many online questionnaires to determine which denomination is closest to your theological beliefs. But I have found that most churches do not care about what you believe and do not teach their beliefs anyway. They just stick to basic neutral Christian and self-help teaching.

So, the real deciding factors are not their supposed theology but rather their style of worship music, type of sermons, friendliness of pastors and people, different programs, and convenience of the drive and parking.

This having been said, I would personally avoid Baptists, UCC, and of course LDS.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You might find some congregations in some churches regardless of denomination or non denomination that isn't broken but you will do some long searches and maybe even relocate to find them with no assurance it will last. We're in that season. The RCC is no different, maybe the ring leader of it all. You will be looking for a remnant that's still true to Gods word. It could be a single Catholic parish or a little old school house church or even a home church. And that's a sign of the times. And some ministries are just preaching doctrines of devils. Believe it.

Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟910,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I'm looking for a new Church, something more traditional is more my thing. Currently my Church is Baptist but the Pastor considers it Contemporary Christianity. Aside from that my area has Methodist, Baptist, Lutheran, Assembly of God, UCC, and LDS. I want to avoid Churches that remind me of a Tony Robbins self help seminar.

what is your criteria when looking for a church? What does your ideal church look like?

There was at one time an ecumenical council in the Catholic church LATERAN IV that called for the "extermination of heretics" -- I think a lot of people both inside and outside the Catholic church today would agree "that was a mistake".

But what is your criteria for selecting a church?

Upvote 0

Leaviathan

Feb 19, 2015
Cape Cod
✟31,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You might find some congregations in some churches regardless of denomination or non denomination that isn't broken but you will do some long searches and maybe even relocate to find them with no assurance it will last. We're in that season. The RCC is no different, maybe the ring leader of it all. You will be looking for a remnant that's still true to Gods word. It could be a single Catholic parish or a little old school house church or even a home church. And that's a sign of the times. And some ministries are just preaching doctrines of devils. Believe it.
RCC? Oh yeah Catholic

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

I suggest visiting the churches you've listed, to get a feel for how they worship and what they believe. I have visited churches of all the denominations you listed, and that exploration helped me to find my church home.

(Note that the LDS are significantly farther from the Christian mainstream than the other churches you listed. You may want to research them before deciding whether to visit. I would not consider them "traditional".)

You name Catholicism in the title, but you didn't list it among the church options. If you're looking for a variety of Christianity that's rooted in tradition, I'd recommend visiting a Catholic church while you're exploring. You won't be allowed to take Communion, but you're quite welcome to participate in the service otherwise, and their liturgy is beautiful.

I wish you well in your search.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟910,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
One that covers all books of the Bible, friendliness, non cult like, accepting to singles

Agreed -- all 66 books of the Bible covered and agreed to in the church I selected just as you state, not cult-like as even ChristianityToday confirms in its 2015 Feb article (also confirmed in Walter Martin's book, and confirmed here on CF as well) - - and full acceptance of both married and single individuals.

Perhaps you and I do have the same criteria after all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Leaviathan

Feb 19, 2015
Cape Cod
✟31,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I suggest visiting the churches you've listed, to get a feel for how they worship and what they believe. I have visited churches of all the denominations you listed, and that exploration helped me to find my church home.

(Note that the LDS are significantly farther from the Christian mainstream than the other churches you listed. You may want to research them before deciding whether to visit. I would not consider them "traditional".)

You name Catholicism in the title, but you didn't list it among the church options. If you're looking for a variety of Christianity that's rooted in tradition, I'd recommend visiting a Catholic church while you're exploring. You won't be allowed to take Communion, but you're quite welcome to participate in the service otherwise, and their liturgy is beautiful.

I wish you well in your search.
It was my intent to list the catholic church in my options.

• Friendly
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Leaviathan

Feb 19, 2015
Cape Cod
✟31,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Agreed -- all 66 books of the Bible covered and agreed to in the church I selected just as you state, not cult-like as even ChristianityToday confirms in its 2015 Feb article (also confirmed in Walter Martin's book, and confirmed here on CF as well) - - and full acceptance of both married and single individuals.

Perhaps you and I do have the same criteria after all.
I just found a local SDA church, they're Vegan, is that normal?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There are many online questionnaires to determine which denomination is closest to your theological beliefs. But I have found that most churches do not care about what you believe and do not teach their beliefs anyway. They just stick to basic neutral Christian and self-help teaching.

So, the real deciding factors are not their supposed theology but rather their style of worship music, type of sermons, friendliness of pastors and people, different programs, and convenience of the drive and parking.

This having been said, I would personally avoid Baptists, UCC, and of course LDS.

You left out the most important - Jesus, and I disagree theology is important.

Theology is the study of God, God's character

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟910,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I just found a local SDA church, they're Vegan, is that normal?

many are vegetarian - some are vegan. their main criteria is that they only eat the meats in Lev 11 that God says "is for food" and "may be eaten".

Their church pot lucks are vegetarian.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,235,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
My grandfather on my father’s side was Methodist. My wife was Reformed Presbyterian (now it would be PCA). My best man’s wife was Jewish. We have a deacon who was an ordained minister of some Protestant sort. So it happens that people become Catholic. Me, I was born Catholic. And stayed.

You can drop in any time, and be as anonymous as you want to be. If you are interested you can speak to a priest about next steps. Usually joining takes a long time, with a bunch of classes. Most likely it would be Easter before you could formally join. But that gives plenty of time for study and discernment.

If you don’t know much about Catholics I recommend finding a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church. You can often score one at a used bookstore for a song. Or any general purpose bookstore has them. Catholic bookstores too, or online. It would be a good book even if you don’t become Catholic. Lots of stuff in there generally applicable for all Christians.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟910,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If you don’t know much about Catholics I recommend finding a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church. You can often score one at a used bookstore for a song. Or any general purpose bookstore has them. Catholic bookstores too, or online. It would be a good book even if you don’t become Catholic. Lots of stuff in there generally applicable for all Christians.

I have visited a few times.

I recommend "The Faith Explained" by Leo Trese. A copy of this book was given to me by a Catholic friend of mine and I found it to be very informative in terms of what the Catechism means in its various statements.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’ve converted to Catholicism from various forms of Protestantism.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,235,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I have visited a few times.

I recommend "The Faith Explained" by Leo Trese. A copy of this book was given to me by a Catholic friend of mine and I found it to be very informative in terms of what the Catechism means in its various statements.
Good for you. Lots of people stay in their bunkers.

Upvote 0

Arctangent

May 28, 2022
Midwest
✟26,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I was Reformed (PCA) and nearly converted to Catholicism, but became Orthodox instead.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have kind of been around the horn a lot. I converted to the Roman Catholic Church from Methodism, my family background was Baptist. After I left the RCC during a period of personal turmoil I went to a Lutheran church for several years and now find myself at a Presbyterian (EPC) church.

Upvote 0

Leaviathan

Feb 19, 2015
Cape Cod
✟31,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have kind of been around the horn a lot. I converted to the Roman Catholic Church from Methodism, my family background was Baptist. After I left the RCC during a period of personal turmoil I went to a Lutheran church for several years and now find myself at a Presbyterian (EPC) church.
If you could pick one of those to follow forever which would it be?

Upvote 0