Has anyone been “slain in the Spirit” outside of Pentecostal and charismatic circles?

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,303.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Let's put some examples out here,...

When we see someone blowing into microphones, waving their arms and their suit jacket around, and laying hands upon people to supposedly overcome them by The Holy Spirit up on a stage,..... we simply must ask,...did Jesus do any of these things???

The answer is no.

This is how we can tell what fruit a person's ministry has, by the example that Jesus gave us in our bibles. We don't allow a person to say that "oh these things were not recorded in our bibles but they are somehow legit." That person is a liar who says something like that.
The Spirit of God is not in a box, limited, such us to Sola Scriptura. He lives in the hearts of believers, and from within creates a new unique character, not a Jesus model. Jesus' handkerchiefs were not used like Paul's, each person is unique and some are flamboyant which can be annoying while others are reserved and calm... Different expressions of Christ.

As I posted earlier, throughout the Bible God's presence, particularly with Israel, always does new things, rather than setting a log of a set of all the things He does. Pentecost was a new thing. Previously there was the pillar of fire, the ark of the covenant, Moses laying on hands, the angels in Solomon's temple...

Not all is logged, by the completion of John's Revelation at the end. The Bible as complete book is a cessationist heresy.

Pentecost and the following outpouring is a new style, maybe with limits, but still not all within the events were recorded. The Bible tells God is doing new things. Only such things as from God lead to loving God, worshipping Him alone, kind deeds, repentance from uncleanness...

The Salvation Army and John Wesley's missions seemed spiritually to water down to only good deeds. We need to learn from this to keep the phenomena while not seeking that end in itself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The Spirit of God is not in a box, limited, such us to Sola Scriptura. He lives in the hearts of believers, and from within creates a new unique character, not a Jesus model. Jesus' handkerchiefs were not used like Paul's, each person is unique and some are flamboyant which can be annoying while others are reserved and calm... Different expressions of Christ.

As I posted earlier, throughout the Bible God's presence, particularly with Israel, always does new things, rather than setting a log of a set of all the things He does. Pentecost was a new thing. Previously there was the pillar of fire, the ark of the covenant, Moses laying on hands, the angels in Solomon's temple...

Not all is logged, by the completion of John's Revelation at the end. The Bible as complete book is a cessationist heresy.

Pentecost and the following outpouring is a new style, maybe with limits, but still not all within the events were recorded. The Bible tells God is doing new things. Only such things as from God lead to loving God, worshipping Him alone, kind deeds, repentance from uncleanness...

The Salvation Army and John Wesley's missions seemed spiritually to water down to only good deeds. We need to learn from this to keep the phenomena while not seeking that end in itself.

There's a reason that Smith Wigglesworth was successful with GOD. There's a reason that Maria Woodsworth Etter was successful with GOD, even surpassing Smith in some respects.

That reason is,... they wanted to be like Jesus.

They were not concerned about putting GOD in a box, or manifesting their personality in their ministry, or being legalistic,... no, they reckoned their old self as dead and kept it dead.

Let's stop making excuses for people that take short cuts and sell books. We were bought and paid for by the blood of Jesus, so we are not "free to be me." We are to become like Him.

If we are to be successful in this, we have to follow the example that Jesus gave, no ands, ifs, or buts about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There's a reason that Smith Wigglesworth was successful with GOD. There's a reason that Maria Woodsworth Etter was successful with GOD, even surpassing Smith in some respects.

That reason is,... the wanted to be like Jesus.

They were not concerned about putting GOD in a box, or manifesting their personality in their ministry, or being legalistic,... no, they reckoned their old self as dead and kept it dead.

Let's stop making excuses for people that take short cuts and sell books. We were bought and paid for by the blood of Jesus, so we are not "free to be me." We are to become like Him.

If we are to be successful in this, we have to follow the example that Jesus gave, no ands, ifs, or buts about it.
Free to be you and me also has the hashtag willy wants a doll. Compliments of St Jude. Iirc only London town has that privilege

Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟548,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Spirit of God is not in a box, limited, such us to Sola Scriptura. He lives in the hearts of believers, and from within creates a new unique character, not a Jesus model. Jesus' handkerchiefs were not used like Paul's, each person is unique and some are flamboyant which can be annoying while others are reserved and calm... Different expressions ofAwakening s..

Good point.
---
I like stories..during the early days of..
- Pentecostal Movement, Methodist Revival, etc..
---
Many 'Movements/Move of God' in Christian history..became another establishment.
- After the first generation..
- It changes...from original vision/focus, commitment, etc..
Example:
- Methodist Revival/Movement.
- Pentecostal Movement.
----
Every generation needs..fresh Move of God/Spiritual Awakening.(my perspective)
----
Interesting to note:
Fresh Move of God..can be messy/controversial.
- Because it breaks..the existing pattern/establishment.
That is why..'not many people/establishments' are interested.
---
Often we see flaws, errors, etc..in the midst of new 'Move of God.'
- More spiritual discernment is needed.
---
My view/perspective is based on..
- Observation & research (Christian history)..on 'Revivals & Spiritual Renewal/Awakening Movement'.
- From 1970's.

* I made similar comments..on other threads, some time ago.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This was your quote,...

Does the scripture record all the ways God works or not?

There are no other methods that GOD uses through us except those recorded in our bible that happened through Jesus. Claiming that there may be more is wrong.

You are welcome to your opinion...

Jesus and the Holy Spirit acted together and did signs and wonders not recorded.

May you be blessed within the faith you have been given.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,303.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor

That reason is,... they wanted to be like Jesus.

I was saying that wanting to be like Jesus brings out our true colours as defined by the Creator.

Upvote 0