Has anyone been “slain in the Spirit” outside of Pentecostal and charismatic circles?

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,303.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
The phenomenon of being "slain in the Spirit" was recently brought to my attention by a very recent upload. Here are two additional examples if you want to see more (warning -- they can be a little bit shocking): 1, 2.

According to Wikipedia, this is a phenomenon that is most commonly reported in group settings, in Pentecostal and charismatic churches, and my own experience watching many videos of people undergoing this phenomenon seems to corroborate this overall impression. And I can therefore perfectly understand why some people might feel tempted to think that this merely is a "hyper-charismatic", "hyper-Pentecostal" thing, not really to be expected to happen outside of those circles. But is this really the case?

Has the phenomenon of being "slain in the Spirit" ever been reported to take place outside of Pentecostal and charismatic circles, spontaneously and unexpectedly, to people who had no prior conditioning in this regard?
I saw a lady slain in the Spirit while praying the Rosary under the ministry of Alan Aimes.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,527.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure about the uncontrollable shaking or the other manifestations like barking that sometimes appear. What do you think? God Bless :)

We know from the Welsh revival, looking back, there was an infiltration of false gifts. (Read: "War on the Saints" by Roberts and Penn Lewis) make sure it is the unabridged version.

My guess is that the same thing has happened in more recent times.

The danger is throwing everything out as deceptive and in so doing denying the genuine.

It comes back to discernment which in my view is rare. Discernment is a 'body' ministry that operates when there is unity and the least are heard.
Sadly this is rare these days as the prevailing structure of churches, the philosophy of leadership, and the human loyalty that comes with it, creates a top down control. As a result the possibility of joint discernment is lost.

• Informative
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The phenomenon of being "slain in the Spirit" was recently brought to my attention by a very recent upload. Here are two additional examples if you want to see more (warning -- they can be a little bit shocking): 1, 2.

According to Wikipedia, this is a phenomenon that is most commonly reported in group settings, in Pentecostal and charismatic churches, and my own experience watching many videos of people undergoing this phenomenon seems to corroborate this overall impression. And I can therefore perfectly understand why some people might feel tempted to think that this merely is a "hyper-charismatic", "hyper-Pentecostal" thing, not really to be expected to happen outside of those circles. But is this really the case?

Has the phenomenon of being "slain in the Spirit" ever been reported to take place outside of Pentecostal and charismatic circles, spontaneously and unexpectedly, to people who had no prior conditioning in this regard?
It cannot happen outside those circles, preparation of the environment is required. For some reason, there's no "spill over" it just affects those present.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
According to revival reports, people were slain on the streets before the church services. Town atmospheres changed, jails and bars emptied.
I googled it, no blogs came up.

More detail? How did the town atmosphere change?

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
According to revival reports, people were slain on the streets before the church services. Town atmospheres changed, jails and bars emptied.

Do you know where this is documented? A book, a biography or something?

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,766.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Know you want proof. One book is 500 pages. Will try - not today though.

"Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:" Eph 2;2

Since the enemy affects folks, God cani nfluence more and better for His purposes

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,766.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Marie Woodworth Etter and several church leaders prayed before the revival. "The power of the Lord, like the wind, swept all over the city, up one street and down another, sweeping through the places of business, the workshops, saloons and dives..." "Men, women, and children were struck down in their homes, in their places of business, on the highways, and lay as dead." pg 63 "The police said they never saw such a change; that they had nothing to do." "A spirit of love rested all over the city." "A merchant fell in a trance in his home..." pg 64 "A Diary of Signs and Wonders by Maria Woodworth Etter" Copyright 1916

Before Charles Finney would arrive for revival, Daniel Nash and sometimes Clary prayed. In one town, crime dropped by 2/3's though the population increased by 2/3s because of the revival. Christianity Today

Everywhere in town you could hear people praying and praising God Whitefield Christianity Today

There are other reports.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,303.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
It seems a large part of the Australian government and public wants to forget and erase the Christian history. Preferring to remember perhaps, the thirty years war... over the latter recovery, revival times and times when there was no report of crimes committed due to revival in town.

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

The only reference to being slain in the Spirit after Pentecost was that of Ananias and Saphhira, and we all know what happened to them!

Because there are no other instances of being "slain in the Spirit" in the New Testament, there is a reasonable doubt that what is happening in many churches is of the Holy Spirit. Therefore, if it ain't in the New Testament, then it ain't of God!

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure about the uncontrollable shaking or the other manifestations like barking that sometimes appear. What do you think? God Bless :)
None of this is recorded in the New Testament, so these manifestations are not of the Holy Spirit.

In the history of revivals, people fell on the floor under intense conviction of sin under the preaching of the Gospel, crying out to God for mercy. In Jonathan Edward's church when he preached "Sinners in the hands of an angry God" people hung on to the pillars of the church afraid of falling down into hell.

If you are in a meeting where manifestations are going on, take a good look at the elders and pastors on the platform. You will see that they aren't participating. That should tell you something important. Maybe they are not being influenced by the mass hypnotic suggestion that is going on to the congregation.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,303.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
The Bible is a summary, Sola Scriptura doesn't prove things, points, practices... but that does not mean they are proven to be errors. Testifying to God's will in the commands to love being done, that is the fruit to look for. You can tell a tree by its' fruit, Jesus said that, not, the list of what God does is here, and it is exhaustive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
None of this is recorded in the New Testament, so these manifestations are not of the Holy Spirit.

Hello Oscarr. Thanks for the reply, good to hear from you! I hope you are well.

I remember reading a History book about revivals in the Scottish Highlands in the 18th-19th C. Times of repentance were often accompanied by manifestations of various types. Some like the Invermoriston footprints may have been genuine. I agree with you about the shaking and barking, they were seen as aberrant at the time. I've also seen them in Pentecostal meetings in our day- even people writhing about like snakes on the floor. It seems to go hand in hand with odd teachings and false prophecies.

I'm thinking that the enemy likes to disrupt the preaching of the gospel and the best way to do that is from within- get some troubled souls into the church to spread wierd teachings and practices. God Bless You :)

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

Self control is a fruit of The Holy Spirit that many have not matured in.

Most manifestations are human,..ie fleshly. The flesh is not to glory, but many in leadership are unable to confront such things it seems.

• Informative
Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,303.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Some manifestations are demonic, interruptions, some are demons leaving, some people want to interrupt, some are quiet manifestations of demons leaving quietly under a command to do so. Some things like joy and quaking and falling are of the Holy Spirit. Some were seen in John Wesley's ministry.

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,766.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Knew of a guy who told everybody getting slain in the spirit was always demonic. It happened to him. He stopped going to church, wouldnt return phone calls to whose who wanted to check on him, etc.

A couple of New Testament Scriptures - they fell.

Rev 1:17 "And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:"

"They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them. As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground.” John 18:5-6

Also, there`s differences between discernment and discerning of spirits. Discernment is good but discerning of spirits is much better. Since it's one of the manifestation of the spiritual gifts, it means that it's from The Holy Spirit. ( I Cor 12 begins with "brethen.") Discerning of spirits has a purpose since it`s from Him.

Discern if it's Godly or not. Sometimes things may sound spiritually ok. An example is the young woman who followed Paul and others cried, saying, "These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation." What was being said was correct. "...But Paul, being grieved, turned and said to the spirit, I command thee in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her. And he came out the same hour." Acts 16.

It's not discerning of evil spirits. Here's an example of discerning of a Godly spirit '"And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision." (Gal 2:9).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Some manifestations are demonic, interruptions, some are demons leaving, some people want to interrupt, some are quiet manifestations of demons leaving quietly under a command to do so. Some things like joy and quaking and falling are of the Holy Spirit. Some were seen in John Wesley's ministry.

It's easy to attribute everything we see outside of the word of GOD as demonic, but most folks would be quite surprised to realize how most of it is their flesh seeking glory.

• Informative
Upvote 0