Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I originally posted this in another thread but felt it need a thread of its own. I, in no way shape or form dislike LEO, in fact a few close friends of mine are cops but the actual statistics aren't good. Please read the ENTIRE article before posting. The guy who wrote the article IS a police officer.

"One of the most common lies of anti-Second Amendment forces is that the police not only have the duty to protect everyone, they have the skill and the means. No one needs guns; leave it to the professionals.

The truth is the police have no legal duty to protect anyone, only to deter crime by their presence, and investigate it after it happens. As I’ve just demonstrated, most police officers don’t have the ability to reliably protect citizens with their weapons, even though most sincerely want to do so.

Many citizens are better shots than the police. Their shootings tend to take place at very close range, where hit probability is highest, and they tend to have no question about who to shoot and why. Police officers are often forced to rush into ambiguous situations.

No one can rely on the police to protect them. They are few, and when danger threatens, almost always far away, too far to save lives. Anyone claiming otherwise is either mistaken, or lying to take American’s liberty, and ultimately, their lives. Unlike on TV, the police aren’t going to be our salvation, and often, they’re the opposite. We’re ultimately responsible for our safety; no one else."

HARSH REALITY: Police Are Not Highly Trained Firearms Experts

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I originally posted this in another thread but felt it need a thread of its own. I, in no way shape or form dislike LEO, in fact a few close friends of mine are cops but the actual statistics aren't good. Please read the ENTIRE article before posting. The guy who wrote the article IS a police officer.

"One of the most common lies of anti-Second Amendment forces is that the police not only have the duty to protect everyone, they have the skill and the means. No one needs guns; leave it to the professionals.

The truth is the police have no legal duty to protect anyone, only to deter crime by their presence, and investigate it after it happens. As I’ve just demonstrated, most police officers don’t have the ability to reliably protect citizens with their weapons, even though most sincerely want to do so.

Many citizens are better shots than the police. Their shootings tend to take place at very close range, where hit probability is highest, and they tend to have no question about who to shoot and why. Police officers are often forced to rush into ambiguous situations.

No one can rely on the police to protect them. They are few, and when danger threatens, almost always far away, too far to save lives. Anyone claiming otherwise is either mistaken, or lying to take American’s liberty, and ultimately, their lives. Unlike on TV, the police aren’t going to be our salvation, and often, they’re the opposite. We’re ultimately responsible for our safety; no one else."

God have mercy! This is a travesty.

God help us.

This should stand as a wake up call to the many of us who have been "sleeping" and resting blindly on "assumptions", which can be deadly, leading to our very own demise.

Praying.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Ancient of Days

Supporter
Nov 29, 2017
Mn.
✟138,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
We need to increase their level of training for sure. But its also a budget crisis in those local jurisdictions that is partly to blame. A few years back during the Obama ammo scare a few local LEO agency's reached out to us locals for ammo. They had literally run out of ammo. Needless to say we took care of them.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
We need to increase their level of training for sure. But its also a budget crisis in those local jurisdictions that is partly to blame. A few years back during the Obama ammo scare a few local LEO agency's reached out to us locals for ammo. They had literally run out of ammo. Needless to say we took care of them.

God have mercy!!!

Where is all the ammo? Stockpiled somewhere?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Usually the same argument made by those who post articles on police brutality and racism. I guess they have to choose.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

A few years ago, New York police tried to arrest some sports star they thought was carrying a gun. The sports guy got in his van and pushed his way through the officers. They fired 50 rounds at the van, hitting it 25 times...

We're not talking about shooting a little squirrel 50 feet away. It was a van, and close enough to bump them. Half their shots missed.

In perspective, I've read that nationwide, only 25% of police shots hit the criminal, so I guess 50% makes them "New York's finest".

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well that's hardly a revelation. Still, the police receive more training in how to use firearms than the majority of civilians who own them.
Good golly, what have you been reading?!

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,440,434.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good golly, what have you been reading?!

Well, I'm not sure that's not true. I'm sure the majority of gun owners have their guns in closets and drawers and don't take them out as often as once a year to get anything like defensive combat training.

OTOH, I'm also sure few police officers get as much training as their professions actually demand.

Neither factor applies directly to me, because I do train frequently and regularly, and even the best trained police officers will still get to the scene too late to save the first likely victims.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
God have mercy! This is a travesty.

God help us.

This should stand as a wake up call to the many of us who have been "sleeping" and resting blindly on "assumptions", which can be deadly, leading to our very own demise.

Praying.

Brinny, do you carry a firearm? If so, what kind of training did you receive for it?

Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So teachers are going to do better?
Apparently they all have an inner Rambo that will allow them to correctly make split second life and death decisions. And to carry out those decisions effectively. Under enemy fire. In the chaos of hundreds of running screaming crying children. Even though they have never once in their lives been in anything remotely like the life and death situation.

How can people not see this is a fantasy?

Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I strongly disagree with the claim that most armed citizens are better shots than the Police. I have been to public gun ranges many times. The standard of shooting was generally poor - sometimes appalling - and the handling of firearms was careless. I stopped going, after I was almost shot by a man who misfired a rifle. The bullet missed me, and hit the person standing beside me.

IMO, the vast majority of shooters are barely qualified to defend their own homes - the one thing they are permitted to do. Even that situation could be highly stressful, and the results might be a tragedy instead of a good outcome.

Under NO circumstances would I trust the average armed citizen to intervene in a school shooting situation - with a gun. Of course, if people want to help without weapons, they can do that (but obviously the risk is high). At a bare minimum armed citizens would need extensive training in combat shooting (while moving), training in clearing rooms with hostile combatants, and experience under hostile fire. Very few people are qualified.

If the USA wants armed guards at schools, they will need extensive training.

Finally, I am not attacking those private citizens who do have extensive experience with marksmanship. But that is only a very small percentage of most shooters. Go to any public shooting range in a large city and see what is going on - it will open your eyes.

• Agree
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟811,949.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

While I certainly agree with most of what it says police are certainly far better trained in marksmanship than the general public. That being the case doesn't mean diddly when it comes to a shoot out. No one knows how a person may respond in a crisis situation until they actually face one.

Police officers have been known to panic when shots are fired and at times shoot innocent people. So, when pulled over act like you have sense and make the officer as comfortable as possible.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
IMO, the vast majority of shooters are barely qualified to defend their own homes - the one thing they are permitted to do.

In most U.S. states, people are permitted to defend themselves and/or others with deadly force if they reasonably believe that they or the others are in immediate danger of death or great bodily injury. This applies anywhere they may legally be, not just their home.

Upvote 0