Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Bad luck to you; that I do not believe in a devil, the way I do not to a personified God (the old man with beard). For me the Divine is energy. And, I do not believe in the Bible as the word of God, which is literally written down. I know through theology and Bible science that many things were written in it later, and only an instructive story, but not really so happened. I value some things in the Bible, others I reject because they have long since been disproved in bible science.
I see, you are not a Christian. You should have started your OP with this, and I would have given you a different type of answer. (I was typing in my phone, so I couldn't see your faith icon)

I will be praying for you that the Lord Jesus Christ (who is very much real, and His Word is Truth) will open your eyes.

Much love to you,
Em

Upvote 0

Gerlinde24

Oct 7, 2017
Reinickendorf
✟1,017.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Divorced
Never much cared for Harry Potter. Wasn't my cup of tea, is all. I see no problem with it. Folks don't want to read it, don't. To me it's silly to make a fuss over it.

I could understand if someone with the HP books had substantive problems such as that it is too gloomy, or the language is not childish; but to reject a book, because in it occurs magic, witches and magicians, is, in my opinion, something simple.
I love the television series "Dr. Quinn - Medicine Woman" (I got all episodes on DVD).
In an episode, Dr. Quinn gave the books of her father to the city, who make a library from it. When the priest learns that in some books are stories about Satan, immorality, and others, he wants to forbid these books. Only "good", Christian books should be in the library. The books are destroyed, and Dr. Mike finds a Bible under it. She goes to church service, and tells the priest that he is right, because these books are really harmful, and tells some stories from it. Then she gives the priest the Bible. And he recognizes his error.
This episode deals with censorship of books, but also censorship in the head.
Whoever wants to forbid himself and others something to read, commits censorship. In Germany, under the dictatorship of the Nazis, we experienced enough censorship to know how harmful this is. And, how important is a free, open mind that tests everything.

I see, you are not a Christian. You should have started your OP with this, and I would have given you a different type of answer. (I was typing in my phone, so I couldn't see your faith icon)

Who says that I am not a Christian? I am a freethinker. That means in Germany that I do not belong to any church or religion, but not that I am not religious or spiritual. I hate to think in drawers. We humans are much too complex to decorate us with a label.
I was with the Mormons, and after the departure I visited many Christian churches and religions. In all I find something good, but also a lot of negative. For example, the compulsion to conform to faith. Or the exclusion of people who are "different", or criticize the structures. Nothing can be questioned as to what the priest, the pope, the prophet, or any other religious leader, says. We are thinking people, can form our own opinions. We are not silly bleeding sheep that are led to the bench!

I will be praying for you that the Lord Jesus Christ (who is very much real, and His Word is Truth) will open your eyes.

The God, Jesus, the faith, are real to YOU, does not mean that it will be real for ME either. One must believe, sacrifice, in order to get even more faith. This is not my way! I listen to everything, check it as far as its truth is concerned, and then decide. That's why I make a wide circle around a religious membership. In all religions much is too much forced me.

Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟206,708.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Has there actually been any evidence that Harry Potter leads people to witchcraft? In my experience, the only thing that Harry Potter has lead people to do is become writers - I know fair number in their 20s (so part of the main Harry Potter audience) who cite it as one of the big influences on their writing. So surely that's not a bad thing?

• Agree
Reactions: Daemon
Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
After a long time I read again the Harry Potter books of J.K. Rowling, Right now I am in the last quarter of the fifth volume, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix". Where the evil Lord Voldemort Harry used to kill the headmaster Albus Dumbledore.
Some time ago I met the Catholic author Gabriele Kuby, and we talked about our favorite books. When I mentioned Harry Potter, she told me that the books were bad because they kept children from the Bible, to the magic and witch cult. I told her that she was wrong.
It's obviously true though.
It's what Potter is all about: a boy magician (or whatever you want to call it) interacting with the supernatural.
It is only fiction, which, however, has parallels to our world.
It has many parallels to religious things, demons, (fallen) angels, occult powers, etcetera.
It's what Potter is all about.
It is all based on occultism and witchcraft, which is made "cool" by the Potter books and many other books and movies.
How can you not see this obvious fact?

Reactions: Emli
Upvote 0

Gerlinde24

Oct 7, 2017
Reinickendorf
✟1,017.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Divorced
It has many parallels to religious things, demons, (fallen) angels, occult powers, etcetera.
It's what Potter is all about.
It is all based on occultism and witchcraft, which is made "cool" by the Potter books and many other books and movies.
How can you not see this obvious fact?

Facts are facts, interpretations are interpretations. You think that HP would be based on occultism and witchcraft, because there are supernatural things happening there. Well, I'm going to say something perverse. Not because I believe it, but to clarify something to you.
Would you want to ban EVERY BOOK, in which witchcraft, occultism and supernatural things occur? Burn the books, like the witches in the Middle Ages? Then you also have to banish the Bible and burn it, because it is also occult and supernatural. Only, there it is called MIRACLE, or is justified by God.
In Germany it is said that if two people do it, it is still not the same? Because one thing is double standards. Measures You double standards?

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Facts are facts, interpretations are interpretations. You think that HP would be based on occultism and witchcraft, because there are supernatural things happening there.
It's not what i think, it's what it is based on.
Well, I'm going to say something perverse. Not because I believe it, but to clarify something to you.
Would you want to ban EVERY BOOK, in which witchcraft, occultism and supernatural things occur?
No, but making these things attractive for kids is wrong, it's (potentially) dangerous.
You ought to know the Bible strongly advises against these things too.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Has there actually been any evidence that Harry Potter leads people to witchcraft?
Have you not yet noticed that a big part of popular entertainment for kids and youngsters is making the occult attractive?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Have you not yet noticed that a big part of popular entertainment for kids and youngsters is making the occult attractive?

Even in the slight chance that they find it attractive initially, they will eventually discover that it is as vacuous as magical Christianity.

• Agree
Reactions: GeorgeJ
Upvote 0

Gerlinde24

Oct 7, 2017
Reinickendorf
✟1,017.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Divorced
Has there actually been any evidence that Harry Potter leads people to witchcraft? In my experience, the only thing that Harry Potter has lead people to do is become writers - I know fair number in their 20s (so part of the main Harry Potter audience) who cite it as one of the big influences on their writing. So surely that's not a bad thing?

Or to read. When the HP books came out, children read only a few books in Germany. Playstation and smartphones were more interesting. Then the kids began to read. Not only HP, but also other books. Even classics, such as the books of Mark Twain, Erich Kästner (the author of "Lottie and Lisa"), and other children's literature. And even adults became fans of the series.
The adult daughter of a friend read the books, and gave it to her mother. She recommended this to me. I was skeptical at first to read a "children's book," but was very enthusiastic as an author when I created the various narrative strings, and how they were interwoven to create tension and curiosity. I immediately recognized that a master of her subject had written the book; and ordered all from J.K. Rowling at that time published books.

No, but making these things attractive for kids is wrong, it's (potentially) dangerous.
You ought to know the Bible strongly advises against these things too.

In order for children to develop well and healthy, they need, besides other things, fantasy. Just as we adults sometimes need (as an escape from reality, for example).
When a child or teenager reads books; who act from witches, ghosts, monsters or extraterrestrials, he or she knows that it is fantasy, which gives new impetus to his own imagination. Some of the best writers, scientists and theologians would not be what they are today without this fantasy (imagination).
As far as the Bible is concerned, the people of antiquity believed in the transcendental. On magic, witches, sorcerers, fortune-tellers, and similar. They did not know better. Today we know better! Today we know that fortune tellers work with tricks, also the so-called "witches", and the magic is only for the show stage.
Who still believes that witches, etc. are dangerous because the Bible warns before them, should ask themselves only one question: Is my faith strong enough, or do I feel attracted by magic?
If one feels attracted to magic (witches, etc.), one does not want to strengthen the faith, but wants the power back over its own life.

When the first seasons of "Charmed" ran in Germany, I looked at them. It was interesting how the screenwriter put old mythology in new robes. But I soon realized that they used exactly the same prejudices as all the others. An example:
The Halliwell sisters fought among others against demons. Now, in mythology, demons have never been the evil ones (in the original conception they were counselors and observers of the living), but were made by Jewish and Christian authors. Authors who are also found in the Bible!
Since I found that out, I had never interested to watch the show.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Even in the slight chance that they find it attractive initially, they will eventually discover that it is as vacuous as magical Christianity.
That's like saying: The occult does not exist, therefore it's just fantasy.
And i guess many are made to think that somehow, but it's essentially ignorance, oblivion.

Upvote 0

Gerlinde24

Oct 7, 2017
Reinickendorf
✟1,017.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Divorced
Reading such books can offer a form of break from the actual crazy stuff happening around us.
I just finished twilight. I never thought I would like it as much as I do.

I once read the first part of the Twilight saga. If you do not know, the female author is Mormon, and in the first part has introduced much of the Mormon beliefs and morals. And, she has tried to manipulate her female readers. I was disgusted by the book because I saw the author's tricks.
With HP it is different. It is in the sense, a religious book by it conveys universal values and features negative things as such, such as fascism of the followers of Lord Voldemort, or that "pure-blood" would be better than others.

That's like saying: The occult does not exist, therefore it's just fantasy.
And i guess many are made to think that somehow, but it's essentially ignorance, oblivion.

The "occult" in the HP books is only fantasy. This has nothing to do with the possible occult practices or ways of thinking described in the Bible and elsewhere.
Please, use your mind. It is so clear!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I once read the first part of the Twilight saga. If you do not know, the female author is Mormon, and in the first part has introduced much of the Mormon beliefs and morals. And, she has tried to manipulate her female readers. I was disgusted by the book because I saw the author's tricks.
With HP it is different. It is in the sense, a religious book by it conveys universal values and features negative things as such, such as fascism of the followers of Lord Voldemort, or that "pure-blood" would be better than others.

The "occult" in the HP books is only fantasy.
Not really, it is (perhaps loosely) based on occultism and witchcraft.
But besides that, it popularizes those things, opening doors for the curious.
This has nothing to do with the possible occult practices or ways of thinking described in the Bible and elsewhere.
Please, use your mind. It is so clear!
It's not just Potter, it's Pokemon too.
I would suggest you have a look at analyses by fellow Christians.
And maybe you'll think they're paranoid, but then you can at least assess their case.
But maybe you're restricted from looking there because you're a so called freethinker.

Upvote 0

Dawnhammer

Mar 5, 2017
Denmark
✟23,474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know this because I have a background in witchcraft, from when I was 13 years old (and trust me, it's not harmless in any way, I've had to go through deep deliverance)

So what can the witches do? Anything that you would describe as supernatural ? Or the normal they can make you doubt yourself , or feel sad and under appreciated?

Calling lightning, flying on brooms, changing to cats,pulling frogs out of their armpits?

Upvote 0

Gerlinde24

Oct 7, 2017
Reinickendorf
✟1,017.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Divorced
So what can the witches do? Anything that you would describe as supernatural ? Or the normal they can make you doubt yourself , or feel sad and under appreciated?

Calling lightning, flying on brooms, changing to cats,pulling frogs out of their armpits?

Wait a second. I know it! Witches can give Christans more mind! Because they lost it in their churches!

Upvote 0

Dawnhammer

Mar 5, 2017
Denmark
✟23,474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mormons believe that this garment protects them above all evil, and in my day stories were regularly narrated or published, according to which someone who wore the garment survived a conflagration, a shipwreck, or a bullet.
Anyone with a clear mind would immediately recognize this as dizziness. But Mormons believe in it. Are you stupid?

Yeah ridiculous, but talking snake, creation of the woman from a rib, biggest floating zoo ever, turning water to wine,
Virgin birth, 6000 year old world all sound any more reasonable?

We are all products of our upbringing and for many that is as far as they ever get.

Upvote 0