Reinickendorf
✟1,017.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Divorced
After a long time I read again the Harry Potter books of J.K. Rowling, Right now I am in the last quarter of the fifth volume, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix". Where the evil Lord Voldemort Harry used to kill the headmaster Albus Dumbledore.
Some time ago I met the Catholic author Gabriele Kuby, and we talked about our favorite books. When I mentioned Harry Potter, she told me that the books were bad because they kept children from the Bible, to the magic and witch cult. I told her that she was wrong. It is only fiction, which, however, has parallels to our world. The exclusion of people who are "different" who consider themselves to be something "special". The rise of racism and populism, all of this occurs in the HP books. And, the author shows us that resistance and compassion are the best weapons against ignorance and prejudice.
My questions to you all (whether or not you are Christians):
Why condemn So many Christians the books of Harry Potter? What are the fears behind this? As someone who has been hanging out with witches for a while, I know that no magic is taught in the books. There is more magic in the book "The Mist of Avalon".

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I am personally against the books and the movies, because they distort our views on reality in many ways. We stand against the powers of evil in reality, by our faith in Jesus Christ. Harry Potter used magic to battle evil, and I believe that this takes focus off of Jesus Christ and Truth. There are no fears behind this, but a knowledge of truth and how evil works in people's minds to distort it, and to keep our minds off of Truth.

And there are so many other reasons as well.
All over the world, false religions uses witchcraft to drive out evil spirits, and it causes a lot of harm. People, regular people, in this world, seek false "ministering spirits" which look so deceiving, but are demons, making them demonized, and I do believe that Harry Potter can and does cause this to happen. It distorts the perception of reality, blurring the lines between evil and good, and I also believe that it is used as a temptation to bring people into witchcraft, which is extremely dangerous. I know this because I have a background in witchcraft, from when I was 13 years old (and trust me, it's not harmless in any way, I've had to go through deep deliverance), and I know how books like Harry Potter can twist people's minds, and especially children's.

I would urge you to be very careful not to put stumbling blocks before other people, whether they are Christians or not, and especially children. The devil can use anything like this to harm people, and bring them into captivity to deception and sin. And witchcraft is one of the most harmful sins a person can do, because it opens wide open doors for evil spirits to inhabit their bodies.

An adult with strong faith and the wisdom to know the difference between good and evil, might be able to read the books and watch the movies and not be affected. I know I would, but not a child. I've seen these types of things do far too much damage to adolescent minds (including my own) to know that this is true. So please be careful not to rationalize something because it looks good. That's when deception takes a hold in one's mind.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
After a long time I read again the Harry Potter books of J.K. Rowling, Right now I am in the last quarter of the fifth volume, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix". Where the evil Lord Voldemort Harry used to kill the headmaster Albus Dumbledore.
Some time ago I met the Catholic author Gabriele Kuby, and we talked about our favorite books. When I mentioned Harry Potter, she told me that the books were bad because they kept children from the Bible, to the magic and witch cult. I told her that she was wrong. It is only fiction, which, however, has parallels to our world. The exclusion of people who are "different" who consider themselves to be something "special". The rise of racism and populism, all of this occurs in the HP books. And, the author shows us that resistance and compassion are the best weapons against ignorance and prejudice.
My questions to you all (whether or not you are Christians):
Why condemn So many Christians the books of Harry Potter? What are the fears behind this? As someone who has been hanging out with witches for a while, I know that no magic is taught in the books. There is more magic in the book "The Mist of Avalon".

Resistance and compassion are what again?

80 Bible verses about Enemies, Of Believers - Knowing Jesus

Upvote 0

Gerlinde24

Oct 7, 2017
Reinickendorf
✟1,017.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Divorced
I would like to thank Skywriting and Emli for their answers. It makes me something clear. Can it be that some of these Christians, who subordinate these books to something negative, really have what we Germans call a "tunnel vision/view"? These are people who have only one view (their own), and respond to certain stimulus words such as "witches" "wizards", "magic", and / or "witchcraft" without having, as in the Harry Potter case, read the books.
J.K. Rowling responded to the criticism of Christians to one with the reference that she was a believing member of the Angelican Church, and on the other hand with this quote:

“I believe in God, not magic.” Source

At the same source you can find this statement:

In the final novel, there is a poignant chapter wherein Harry visits his parents' tombstone. On the tombstone, it is written: “The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.” This is a direct quotation from St. Paul's epistle to the Corinthians – as found in 1 Cor. 15:26 in the New Testament. Another tombstone in Harry's proximity reads: “Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” This is a direct quotation from Jesus Christ, taken from the Gospel of St. Matthew as found in Mat. 6:21 of the New Testament. Rowling has said that these two quotations, “epitomize the whole series,” emphasizing the power of Christian imagery in the work of Harry Potter.

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I would like to thank Skywriting and Emli for their answers. It makes me something clear. Can it be that some of these Christians, who subordinate these books to something negative, really have what we Germans call a "tunnel vision/view"? These are people who have only one view (their own), and respond to certain stimulus words such as "witches" "wizards", "magic", and / or "witchcraft" without having, as in the Harry Potter case, read the books.
J.K. Rowling responded to the criticism of Christians to one with the reference that she was a believing member of the Angelican Church, and on the other hand with this quote:

“I believe in God, not magic.” Source

At the same source you can find this statement:

In the final novel, there is a poignant chapter wherein Harry visits his parents' tombstone. On the tombstone, it is written: “The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.” This is a direct quotation from St. Paul's epistle to the Corinthians – as found in 1 Cor. 15:26 in the New Testament. Another tombstone in Harry's proximity reads: “Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” This is a direct quotation from Jesus Christ, taken from the Gospel of St. Matthew as found in Mat. 6:21 of the New Testament. Rowling has said that these two quotations, “epitomize the whole series,” emphasizing the power of Christian imagery in the work of Harry Potter.
Yes, I do have a kind of tunnel vision. It is called the narrow path, which is the road that the Lord not only invites us, but commands us to take. Broad is the path that leads to destruction, and many walk on it, even those who calm themselves Christian.

I don't take my own view, or go by my own understanding, but rather the one that God has given us through His Word, and through the revelation He gives us by His Holy Spirit, as He opens our eyes.

I would urge you to ask the Lord to truly open your eyes, in Spirit and in Truth, and see what He brings you.

"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:2

Remember that satan uses Scripture to confuse people, and that false prophets come with the power of satan, which is what some people call magic. I believe that JK Rowling is very much blinded by darkness, because a true Christian must understand that magic is in a sense real, and we should never promote it, nor downplay it. It's something that is very dangerous and something that God warns us about often in His Word (For example Revelation 21:8) Blurring the lines between good and evil like this, causes our eyes to become blinded and not seeing the Truth as God wants us to see it.

Once again, please, be careful and go by God's Word, not the words of a human. And remember that just because someone calls themself a Christian, doesn't mean that they are of God. (Matthew 7:22-23, 2 Corinthians 11:14-15) Stay in prayer and seek revelation from the Father through Jesus Christ, and He will bring light to this, and you will understand.

Upvote 0

celestialpearl

Baby Anglican
Oct 3, 2017
Kentucky
✟14,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm 26, that means these books were at the height of popularity during my childhood and yes, I read them.

A couple of notes. I was very much interested in paganism and the occult for a portion of my life. These books did not sway me one way or another. The argument many have against them, is of real magic and spells being in them. Completely untrue. I'm ashamed to say I studied many branches of paganism, (wicca, asatru, hellenism, left hand path, ceremonial magick etc) and can verify there is no actual magic or ritual in them.

To a certain few, I could see them being harmful, in that it may encourage interest in magic etc. I also believe The Chronicles of Narnia could do that as well, and that was written as a christian based story.

My grandparents were very against my reading them, and because I couldn't understand why (I had already read the first book), I rebelled and read them all. For myself personally, I think it would have been more helpful to have explained the books, perhaps they could have read them with me and could have helped me to focus on the main story which is that of good triumphing over evil, through friendship, empathy and loyalty. (Which I focused on anyway.:)) Just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm 26, that means these books were at the height of popularity during my childhood and yes, I read them.

A couple of notes. I was very much interested in paganism and the occult for a portion of my life. These books did not sway me one way or another. The argument many have against them, is of real magic and spells being in them. Completely untrue. I'm ashamed to say I studied many branches of paganism, (wicca, asatru, hellenism, left hand path, ceremonial magick etc) and can verify there is no actual magic or ritual in them.

To a certain few, I could see them being harmful, in that it may encourage interest in magic etc. I also believe The Chronicles of Narnia could do that as well, and that was written as a christian based story.

My grandparents were very against my reading them, and because I couldn't understand why (I had already read the first book), I rebelled and read them all. For myself personally, I think it would have been more helpful to have explained the books, perhaps they could have read them with me and could have helped me to focus on the main story which is that of good triumphing over evil, through friendship, empathy and loyalty. (Which I focused on anyway.:)) Just my 2 cents.
Over 40 years ago my contemporaries would read C S Lewis's The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; Joanna Rowling said that C S Lewis was an inspiration for he books; I myself never got into either author! :)

Upvote 0

celestialpearl

Baby Anglican
Oct 3, 2017
Kentucky
✟14,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Over 40 years ago my contemporaries would read C S Lewis's The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; Joanna Rowling said that C S Lewis was an inspiration for he books; I myself never got into either author! :)

Myself, I greatly enjoyed The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.:)

On a relevant topic, there is a guy named Ted Dekker who writes books I enjoy. They are christian oriented, dark thrillers. To some, I could imagine them being seen them being seen as full of evil and utterly inappropriate. However, the conclusion of his books leave me crying and praising God for the wonders he works so...:)

• Informative
Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
It's fiction people! It's read as such!
Not by everyone, and that is the problem. Many people are pulled into fantasy worlds, and that can affect their perception of reality. I've been there (mostly through video games and television though), and I have seen it happens to others, and not only to young people, and it can be dangerous.
Human minds are fragile, and we need to be careful about what we choose to put in there.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Not by everyone, and that is the problem. Many people are pulled into fantasy worlds, and that can affect their perception of reality. I've been there (mostly through video games and television though), and I have seen it happens to others, and not only to young people, and it can be dangerous.
Human minds are fragile, and we need to be careful about what we choose to put in there.

If anyone believes in such stuff then they are obviously not Christian.

• Winner
Reactions: GeorgeJ
Upvote 0

celestialpearl

Baby Anglican
Oct 3, 2017
Kentucky
✟14,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To simplify what I was trying to say before.

My personal perspective is..

Flat out forbidding the reading of it, without them having read them spurred me to rebel.

If they had read them with me, I would have had the benefit of a christian viewpoint on anything questionable.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Not by everyone, and that is the problem.

The Bible isn't read 'properly' by everyone, either. Should we stop people reading that in case they still justify the barbarism of the Old Testament in today's world?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
They could be, but their faith may not be as strong yet. What if they are recently born again, not having yet studied the Word, or if they are a child?
We cannot expect everyone to know God's Truth. It's something that the Lord reveals to us in time, and that doesn't exactly happen over night.

Problem is, people will believe ANYTHING. They can't distinguish between fiction and reality!
That is how the human mind works, and how deception takes place in our hearts and minds.
And the Bible commands us to help those who are weak in faith, not to put stumbling blocks before them, and if something we do may cause them to stumble, to never do it again.
So should we not keep this in mind, understanding their weaknesses, and then help them grow in the faith and in the knowledge of God?

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The Bible isn't read 'properly' by everyone, either. Should we stop people reading that in case they still justify the barbarism of the Old Testament in today's world?
First of all, I don't think comparing the Bible with a work of fiction is a good way of making a point.

Secondly, I'm not saying that we should forbid people from reading Harry Potter, but I believe that we need to use much discernment when reading anything that is of the world, and especially if it includes sorcery. And I very much do not think that we should promote reading it, because it could cause a brother or a sister to stumble.

We all need to fear the Lord and keep His commandments.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Me and my wife went to a parent teacher conference where she told my daughters teacher that she should not read Harry Potter because it was Satanic. After the discussion I told her that Harry Potter was based on mythology and no more satanic then Walt Disney. I suggested she read the first book and she did, she became a big fan. She was always in the theater the first day the movie was released. When Harry Potter was released the publishers said it was too complicated for young people to understand. When sales took off it went in big circles from an epicenter, it was being promoted by kids on playgrounds and in schools because they loved it. The author had been trained as a teacher, she believed that kids were much brighter then we think and proved it in many ways. She went on to be the richest woman in the UK, surpassing the net worth of even the queen of England. All that because she believed kids were smart enough to understand Harry Potter.

I watched the last Harry Potter in 3D, it was awesome. It's never offended my spiritual sensibilities in the slightest, anymore then Snow White or Beauty and the Beast.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
A fictional book about fictional powers. Why all the stress?

I suppose the magic in C.S. Lewis' books are OK though, right? I mean, he was a Christian so that makes it OK. Tolkien too? Wait, I forgot: he was Catholic so he couldn't be a Christian.

Good grief, fundamentalist magical thinking is so ridiculous!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gerlinde24

Oct 7, 2017
Reinickendorf
✟1,017.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Divorced
I think lot of people over think things and try to find something insidious where there is nothing.

Well said! I agree 100%.

Yes, I do have a kind of tunnel vision. It is called the narrow path, which is the road that the Lord not only invites us, but commands us to take. Broad is the path that leads to destruction, and many walk on it, even those who calm themselves Christian.

I don't take my own view, or go by my own understanding, but rather the one that God has given us through His Word, and through the revelation He gives us by His Holy Spirit, as He opens our eyes.

I would urge you to ask the Lord to truly open your eyes, in Spirit and in Truth, and see what He brings you.

In Germany there is a proverb: Lord, give us wisdom. We have the stupidity already.
Harry Potter is a novel series. Well written, exciting, and with interesting characters. I have to know it. I write screenplays. Neither do these books seduce to magic, nor do they teach magic. The devil does not matter, but the evil in the form of the fascist Lord Voldemord. If one wants to draw parallels between the books and the Bible, why not the obvious comparison? The Harry Potter, because he was the seventh Horcrux, had to die to be able to live again (parallels to Jesus Christ, Krishna, Mitras and Horus are supposed to be intended).
Or another obviousness! What Dumbledore says in "The Chamber of Secrets", and what I chose as a signature. Did not Jesus, Paul, and John say something similar?

Remember that satan uses Scripture to confuse people, and that false prophets come with the power of satan, which is what some people call magic. I believe that JK Rowling is very much blinded by darkness, because a true Christian must understand that magic is in a sense real, and we should never promote it, nor downplay it. It's something that is very dangerous and something that God warns us about often in His Word (For example Revelation 21:8) Blurring the lines between good and evil like this, causes our eyes to become blinded and not seeing the Truth as God wants us to see it.

Bad luck to you; that I do not believe in a devil, the way I do not to a personified God (the old man with beard). For me the Divine is energy. And, I do not believe in the Bible as the word of God, which is literally written down. I know through theology and Bible science that many things were written in it later, and only an instructive story, but not really so happened. I value some things in the Bible, others I reject because they have long since been disproved in bible science.

I have only met some of the so-called pagan religions in my life. Although I found some good (for example, that one could give space to one's spirituality), I never became a Wicca. Why not? Because they replaced God with the goddess, and although the goddess is portrayed differently as the male God of the Bible, I felt then that I was looking at the other side of a coin.

I would like to know if there are researches on how many people (children, teenagers, adults) who have read the HP books, were interested in magic, etc., and how many of them were Wicca or the like? And what would interest me the most: How many of them were or are Christians?
I think if at all, then a vanishingly small number. Whoever is fortified in his faith is immune to temptation. Whoever was tempted, and yielded to him, whose faith was not solidified.

Not necessarily! I will give you an example of the Mormons:
Mormons believe in "holy underwear," so-called "garments," which every Mormon who gets his endowment in the temple must wear 24 hours (with few exceptions). Mormons believe that this garment protects them above all evil, and in my day stories were regularly narrated or published, according to which someone who wore the garment survived a conflagration, a shipwreck, or a bullet.
Anyone with a clear mind would immediately recognize this as dizziness. But Mormons believe in it. Are you stupid? Not duller than the normal population. Gullible? No more than the average American.
So why do they believe this nonsense? Answer: Because it is so taught to them. To quote the Nazi Goebbels: "Repeat a lie until it becomes the truth!"

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0