Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
When a church or religious organization teaches something that conflicts with what Jesus or God taught us, is it better to stand up and speak out against what the church or religious organization is teaching, or is it better to be quiet and maintain harmony?

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
When a church or religious organization teaches something that conflicts with what Jesus or God taught us, is it better to stand up and speak out against what the church or religious organization is teaching, or is it better to be quiet and maintain harmony?
In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas”?

• Friendly
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Anything that conflicts with the teachings of Jesus or God is not to be taken in and stifled for the sake of a "Godless false harmony".

It's just cowardice, and indicative of a "fear of man" rather than a "fear of God".

The TRUTH is a "Light" that this world needs.

Let's not cover up that Light or God forbid, snuff it out.

In addition, we might want to examine what Godless "compromise" is.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Anything that conflicts with the teachings of Jesus or God is not to be taken in and stifled for the sake of a "Godless false harmony".
Agreed, but perhaps sometimes there can be differing interpretations of those teachings, of which there may be different levels of importance and room for some growth and charity?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Agreed, but perhaps sometimes there can be differing interpretations of those teachings, of which there may be different levels of importance and room for some growth and charity?

Yes, i agree. I was speaking on the profound, un-compromise-able TRUTHS that are NOT to be chiseled or nibbled away or compromised away because there is a "fear of man" where "man" becomes the focus, and not God, my friend. :)

Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Can you be in harmony with error?

Matthew 10 : 34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

1 John 1 :16 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

Titus 1
9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

10 For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision:

11 Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake.

12 One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, the Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies.

13 This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith;

14 Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.

Ephesians 5
6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.

7 Be not ye therefore partakers with them.

8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:

9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)

10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

12 For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.

13 But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.

14 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.

15 See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,

16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.

17 Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think it depends on the intent. Is it an error said in ignorance or rebellion? If an error, sometimes we should say something and sometimes we need to let folks work through it. We DO learn from our mistakes and God knows this. Those who think they have been called to teach but who run around trying to correct anyone and everyone, probably have not been called to teach and if they have, they are not yet done being taught!

• Agree
Reactions: henacynflin
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This will sound like I am directing this at you but this is a general comment. Can we be in harmony with God and be in error at the same time? My answer is yes, most definitely. Why? Because not one of us has been perfected yet and not one of us is perfect in their understanding. Therefore, since we all have error somewhere in our understanding, and yet walk with God in a covenantal relationship... then it isn't only possible, it is obviously the case. That is NOT to say it is ok to have error nor am I condoning sin. I am simply stating the obvious... that until we are perfected by definition we are imperfect. And yet, like David, can still be called "beloved."

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟312,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas”?
"unity in necessary things; freedom in doubtful things; love in all things" how do you translate that according to Christ's teachings? Also, who coined that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

Matthew 10 : 34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

1 John 1 :16 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

Titus 1
9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

10 For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision:

11 Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake.

12 One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, the Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies.

13 This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith;

14 Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.

Ephesians 5
6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.

7 Be not ye therefore partakers with them.

8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:

9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)

10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

12 For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.

13 But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.

14 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.

15 See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,

16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.

17 Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.
I think a lot of people exult in error.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I think it depends on the intent. Is it an error said in ignorance or rebellion? If an error, sometimes we should say something and sometimes we need to let folks work through it. We DO learn from our mistakes and God knows this. Those who think they have been called to teach but who run around trying to correct anyone and everyone, probably have not been called to teach and if they have, they are not yet done being taught!
I think a lot of it is: people wanting to please people rather than wanting to please the Lord. Someone might ask, "What's wrong with that?" What's wrong with that is that the Lord knows, and wants, what's best for us. You can't say that about people.

Upvote 0

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This will sound like I am directing this at you but this is a general comment. Can we be in harmony with God and be in error at the same time? My answer is yes, most definitely. Why? Because not one of us has been perfected yet and not one of us is perfect in their understanding. Therefore, since we all have error somewhere in our understanding, and yet walk with God in a covenantal relationship... then it isn't only possible, it is obviously the case. That is NOT to say it is ok to have error nor am I condoning sin. I am simply stating the obvious... that until we are perfected by definition we are imperfect. And yet, like David, can still be called "beloved."

We have a standard, if we do not have a standard then the door is wide open. Sure there is lack of "perfect" understanding, we are not God. With that being said, we have plenty of instruction in the bible to hold to sound doctrine, to reprove those who do not and to not have fellowship and expose heretics.

Maybe the OP can be more specific to what the issue is. All I can say is I have seen with my own eyes many times the Lord showing someone things, spiritual truths, things in error and if that person chooses to be fearful of men or compromise what they know to be truth just to be in harmony or to maintain some false sense of fellowship they lose their discernment eventually.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

It's just cowardice, and indicative of a "fear of man" rather than a "fear of God".

The TRUTH is a "Light" that this world needs.

Let's not cover up that Light or God forbid, snuff it out.

In addition, we might want to examine what Godless "compromise" is.
I agree. Of course, sooner or later you run the risk of getting thrown out of the church, religious organization, or website, but we must be willing to take that chance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Are we talking about people or leadership in the church? The two are very different. Maybe it would help everyone if you could be more specific.
Both. We are always dealing with the homosexuality issue in this conference of my church. Last I knew, the majority of leaders were giving their blessing to homosexuality.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I agree. Of course, sooner or later you run the risk of getting thrown out of the church, religious organization, or website, but we must be willing to take that chance.

Yes, that is a risk. It is at those times, that the verse about "kicking the dust off" comes to mind, brother.

Upvote 0

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Both. We are always dealing with the homosexuality issue in this conference of my church. Last I knew, the majority of leaders were giving their blessing to homosexuality.

Well that is a major issue then. The bible is clear on the subject and unrepentant homosexuals have no place in the body.

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟312,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Women's 'issues' have stepped aside numerous times so that homosexual issues can be dealt with but 'they' prefer to not separate them. Why is that?

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
"unity in necessary things; freedom in doubtful things; love in all things" how do you translate that according to Christ's teachings? Also, who coined that?
My point was that as fallen creatures, none of us is yet perfected, so our interpretation of Scripture may have errors. Thus it is necessary to be humble, charitable and forgiving when considering others’ views, recognizing our own failings. Even the apostles were not always understanding of our Lord. Certainly there are points where Christ’s teachings are clear, but other times when more than one interpretation is reasonable (if not right).

I have heard different theories as to authorship.

(And yes, I have likely used that quote out of context...)

Upvote 0